Re: posting your seriall numbers

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

posting your seriall numbers

Post by 1946dodge » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:31 pm

I am wondering if it would be useful for us to all post the serial numbers of our offsets, especially the old ones, in case they get stolen.
This way, if any of them are ever sold, we have proof that the guitar belonged to us.
What do you guys think?
Is there a downside to this idea I have overlooked?
Let me and everyone else know.

Ed
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:43 pm

The one downside that I know of is that if you post your serial number in public, someone else can come along and say it was theirs and was stolen. If they can prove it, then I believe you will lose it, most likely with no reimbursement. That is why most people blank out a couple numbers when offering them for sale on eBay and the like. At least this is my take on it.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:04 pm

sharin foo

A very good point and that is a big downside.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Keep receipts...as far as i know this is 100% acceptable as proof of ownership if they're stolen.
But,like with vintage guitars some times you wont have a receipt so take photos of it with a dated document,like an electric bill or what ever.
I used to throw out all receipts but now i keep 'em,don't have one for my vintage tho so i wouldn't be posting serial numbers on line,i think its a bad idea all round,its cool for the forgers tho! :o...assholes.How dare they put fender decals on squires and sell them as fenders! >:( Sacrilege!