Fender Jazz!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
hobb_masta_flex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Jazz!

Post by hobb_masta_flex » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:51 pm

So, I know most of you offset buffs out there have your Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and Bass VIs... but what about the unsung lower end of the offset world, the Fender Jazz Bass? Maybe I have a bias, maybe I am too into the bass-clef world out there... but I just find the instrument so amazingly beautiful and amazing both in sound and look! So classic... Anyhow, I'm just trying to get the word of the Jazz Bass out there and onto the Offset forums! So, please, post any comments you might have about the offset Jazz, and any pics you may have of one you own... or any comparisons to the Jazzmaster or Jaguar. Oh, and did you know that the Jazz Bass came out as the bass "partner" to the Jazzmaster, meaning that it in fact came before the Jaguar? So, what's your guys' take on the ol' Jazz Bass?

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jazz!

Post by burker » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I really like jazz basses, I had a 73' (with a 79' p-bass neck) for a short time...... miss that bass.... few days ago i played one of those custom shop reissues, sonic blue with a matching headstock, fantastic look and sound, to bad about the price...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:08 pm

I have a fender american jazzbass in black with a maple neck. I'm thinking about putting some lollars in it and vintage-ing it up
not relicing, just putting on a nice old pickguard or something, if possible

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm a real fan of the Jazz Bass.  My first "real" bass was a Jazz.  Cost me all of $100 in '69 for a beat to shit bass with much of the black chipped off and a crushed case (probably was pre CBS!).  Refinished it myself in natural and sold it for $175 a few years later - I was really proud of myself for making a profit on it.  I can't imagine what that bass would be worth now.  Sigh...

While I still love the Jazz bass, my current favoritie is the Jaguar Bass.  Same neck profile and pickups as the Jazz, but with the Jaguar looks.  Can't find much to complain about that combination.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 pm

My favourite Bass of all time

seasick croc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seasick croc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:50 am

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:35 am

Here's mine, a '73 in translucent walnut finish. Bridge, electronics and pickguard are later parts. I payed 1195 Dutch guilders for this thing, about € 536. I got it in the shop where Vinkie works, somewhere in the early 90s. Note how the nitro on the headstock has discoloured compared to the poly on the fretboard. It almost looks like a matching headstock colour now.

Buckle rash from previous owner:

Typical '70s neck pocket gap, and darkened headstock:

Last edited by Orang Goreng on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 am

I'm practicing for the first time with my new band tonight, in which i'lll be a/b'ing between Jazzmaster and Jazz bass!

it's a standard fender, black with rosewood fretboard, 1995.
I prefer their older stuff.

hobb_masta_flex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hobb_masta_flex » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Yeah, I wish I could get my hands on a vintage Jazz! Every one I have ever played on, and even fender's Custom shop repros, sound so nice. Something about them just makes for a wonderful tone. On eBay these days, I've been seeing quite a few pre-1975 Jazz Basses pop up... but the prices get so high! When you pay more for a bass than a car... I don't know. Actually, I hope that some day I will be able to invest in a vintage one, maybe even a pre-CBS, early one. But for the time being, I'm content with the upgraded pickups on my good ol' American sunburst I got about 3 years ago. I also added some small cosmetic things like a vintage-y pickguard and a "F" neckplate. Sounds like other people do the same with their instruments. Oh, and with my new fretless underway... I should be content for quite awhile. Check out my topic about that one in the project/restoration pages! That natural colored 73 looks like quite a fine instrument, and you got a pretty good deal, it sounds! Oh, and that Lake Placid Blue late 60's one with matching headstock that was posted on this... amazing! Yeah, that seller with that one up on eBay puts up so many gorgeous Jazz Basses and other Fender greats... too bad the price is so up there that fewer players will ever get to buy them to play. But, hey, I guess those vintage Jazz Basses look as good as they sound.

hobb_masta_flex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hobb_masta_flex » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Oh, man, guys, check out this Jazz Bass I found on eBay. Antigua finish. So awesome. They only made 'em for one year, right? At any rate, that's an okay price for a pretty rare bass...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-1978-A ... dZViewItem

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:00 am

I don't know how much Antigua is going for these days, but if it's not that high it's because most people think it's ugly and it's far into the CBS years. And if it is high, it's because it's pretty rare. :D

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

(my now defunct pirate band + guest keys)

It sounds great, it's CIJ and has the AV pickups, binding and painted blocks, badass bridge and I think 70s bridge pickup positioning (a bit closer to the bridge) but I'm not sure. Also a skinnier neck, like on Geddy's bass, which I'm not sure if I prefer over a more standard jazz neck, which is pretty great. Also, I've put in a series/parallel push pull switch as the first volume pot, and installed a Ernie Ball style spokewheel truss rod adjuster so I wouldn't have to take off the neck every time I wanted to tweak the relief.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:49 pm

aen wrote: I'm practicing for the first time with my new band tonight, in which i'lll be a/b'ing between Jazzmaster and Jazz bass!

it's a standard fender, black with rosewood fretboard, 1995.
No more than an hour after i posted this, i was informed that the band had broken up. :k
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 pm

I just got a Squire VM Fretless Jazz Bass and even tho' I haven't brought it home yet (I'm getting a Badass bridge put on it) I fell in love with it at the store.  I love the Jaco-esque no-pickguard look:

(not my actual bass, just a photo from da 'bay)
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:23 pm

aen wrote: No more than an hour after i posted this, i was informed that the band had broken up.
>:(

Lightweights!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:50 am

I do sometimes miss my MIM Sage Green Metallic Jazz.  It sounded and played great.  Looked cool too.  It was sort of the bass that everyone went to when they needed one.  I loaned it out a lot, but it stayed in great shape.  I sold it to help pay for my CS Bass VI, don't hate me.  When I someday feel the inevitable need to get another bass, it'll be an American-made Jazz bass in white with a white pickguard.  Or maybe tortoise-shell.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024