My new sweet 66 JAZZMASTER

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Re: My new sweet 66 JAZZMASTER

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Doug, look at the upper left hole... just to the left of that you can just make out some numbers under the indent line of the trem plate

looks like 68 to me

I've never heard of there being markings under the plate, I don't see any in my pics.. I'll have to take a closer look next time I have it apart, which will hopefully be soon as I'm waiting on a rewound pickup to install

here's mine, bad lighting though so it's tough to tell..

Last edited by daydreamdelay on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Do you mean up on the body? OK, I see something I guess, but can't make a number out of it.

I haven't seen a number up there before. Then again, I haven't had many JMs past '66, and very few original finishes of any year.
Q. Are we not men?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:57 pm

yep.. not in the route but up on top to the left of the upper left screw hole

this is the first I've heard of numbers being there  ???

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:08 pm

Candidates in these 2 spots below. I hadn't noticed the "8" on the top. Can't make out a "6" though. i put a few dots where I thought the date was written in the cavity. It's kind of like a Where's Wally drawing :)

Another shot:

Last edited by scottme on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 am

I can't really make out the inside one you've dotted out but I definitely see the one on top which looks like a pencilled 68 but I trust your eyes looking right at it over me looking at a flat image through a computer screen

just found this so apparently they did mark there..

1958-1961 Dates are usually located in the bridge pickup route.

1961-1967 Dates are usually located in the tailpiece route

1967-1970's Date codes are usually found in the neck pocket, but are not always present.  They can appear in various routes, so look around.

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 am

I think I must be seeing 8s that aren't there. From Jim Shine's Page:

Then we see a Jaguar decal with 7 patent numbers (DES 186,826 PAT 2,960,900 2,972,923, 3,143,028 2,817,261 2,741,146 & PAT PEND), the Jazzmaster had three different decals used at once for a very brief period of time. CBS Fender had decided the old type “A” transfers applied over the finish were not durable above the lacquer, so it was decided a version applied under the lacquer would hold up much better. It was also decided that the lettering should be increased in size perhaps to make the brand and model name more prominent on TV and in photographs. In early 1966 Fender experimented with two type “C” transfers on the Jazzmaster, both would only appear on select custom colors. For the lighter custom colors such as Sonic Blue, and Ice Blue Metallic, the black CBS Jazzmaster logo appeared. These decals feature 6 patent numbers (PAT 2,573,254 2,960,900 2,817,261 2,972,923 3,143,028 Des 186,826). This CBS logo is almost identical to the ones used from 1967 onward, but lack the â after Fender.

Sunburst, blonde and Olympic white Jazzmaster’s used the old style Type “A” transfer. This experimentation with the decals was very short lived. Most guitars found with this system of labeling have February 1966 stamps. There are no strict rules with this system. There appear to have been Olympic white guitars made with the black CBS logo, and some metallic finishes have the older over the finish decal. The new CBS logo was then briefly discontinued from standard use and does not reappear until the type “A” decal is completely phased out in 1967. The later version features an “R” in a circle after “Fender”.

This makes total sense, as the headstock is the smaller 66 size. Maybe the red ink was used in the pre production area in early 66. I'd love to ask Jim about this one. Turns out that putting the decal under the finish works well (surprise surprise!) I'd be interested to learn more about the neck pictured. Also, the binding on mine hasn't lasted very well really. It's all quite interesting in terms of the early CBS Fender history!

Edit: I noticed my logo is a 7 number logo though, unlike the above.
Last edited by scottme on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:19 am

But doesn't that say that the sunburst still used the old Type A transfer (that would go over the finish)?

Still I don't disagree that someone may have just put it on and shot the clear over it, especially with the confusion of three different types going on at once.

This is all very interesting.
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:23 am

daydreamdelay wrote: I can't really make out the inside one you've dotted out but I definitely see the one on top which looks like a pencilled 68 but I trust your eyes looking right at it over me looking at a flat image through a computer screen

just found this so apparently they did mark there..

1958-1961 Dates are usually located in the bridge pickup route.
here's mine....

lovely looking Jazzmaster you got there, by the way, Scottme :)
Resident Spartan.