MIJ Jazzmasters, couple of questions

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
bebenavole
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

MIJ Jazzmasters, couple of questions

Post by bebenavole » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 am

Cheers folx!

I decided I will order a Jazzmaster from either Ishibashi or ikebe gakki.
Probably the white one. This would be my firs JM!
I do, however, have the option of ordering thru my friend. he is off to the States soon and could get me a AV RI. I am guessing the latter would cost me a bit more.
What I would like to know is what is the neck size shape on the newer MIJ Jazzmasters and how much does it differ from the neck on the AV RI's? I prefer a fuller neck especiallyl at the nut.

I also see that people hate the bridge on MIJ Jazzmasters and often change it, is that the case with the MIA version? I am gessing shimmng would help in this department.
I really dont feel like modding a new guitar, just beacuse the parts for a JM here in Croatia are nonexistant. I just wish to leave it as is, so  hope its possible to leave it stock and still enjoy its full potential....

Thanx

a.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: MIJ Jazzmasters, couple of questions

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:15 am

In my experience, the neck profile on the AVRIs are slightly chunkier than the Japanese models. If you are looking for a great guitar right out of the box that won't leave you wanting to modify it, I would opt for the AVRI. The hardware is of better quality and stays adjusted much better without having to use any special techniques. The pickups do sound better in my opinion on the AVRI as well. They sound quite a bit thicker and have a more even tonal response. Plus you get a nice hardshell case. So, if you can swing an American one, that would be my recommendation. The Japanese ones can be great, but usually do take some tinkering and often a little modification.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:45 am

I concur wholeheartedly!

The AVs can be found on ebay for less than $1K if you're patient. You could easily wrap that up in a CIJ once you upgrade the pots/pickups/bridge/tail/tuners/etc and you still only have a gig bag to haul it around in.

Nothing against the CIJ... just my opinion. I feel they're a great value for the original price, if you don't want to mod it (or want to upgrade it incrementally as you have the time and money). They are certainly built very well, the quality of the body, neck and finish is excellent!
Q. Are we not men?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:49 am

yeppers...with the MIJ/CIJ Jazzys, simply change out the pots, wiring and install SD Antiquity II's and you'll have yourself the perfect jazzy. :D

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:53 am

Aug wrote: yeppers...with the MIJ/CIJ Jazzys, simply change out the pots, wiring and install SD Antiquity II's and you'll have yourself the perfect jazzy. :D
That is definitely true.. they can be really nice with a few well chosen changes. But he said he would like to keep it stock because parts aren't easy to come by in Croatia. So stock versus stock, an AVRI is the better choice IMO.

Justin

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:57 am

Count me in the same group. Go AVRI if you can, I think later down the road they'll be worth a lot more than their modded out Japanese counterparts. My Jazzmaster is a 94 MIJ, and though I love it, I have had to change out the pickups, the Caps, the bridge twice, and I could still change out the spring in the trim arm. That being said, I love this guitar and I will never get rid of it. The neck feels perfect in my hands and I love the finish and the tort pickguard.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

bebenavole
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bebenavole » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:35 pm

so how thin are those MIJ Necks?
Because, you know,  was also considering ordering a tele. I could get 2 geetars for a decent price. I dunno. Maybe if my friend did a bit of snooping around....I doubt it.

bebenavole
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bebenavole » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:16 pm

I am just a bit confused because I read somewhere a while ago that the CIJ necks r thcker than the AVRI....
Hahahahaha dazed and confused....

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 pm

the MIJ/CIJ necks are more like a vintage B neck thinner back profile I use them alot cause I have girl hands  :?
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:05 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: the MIJ/CIJ necks are more like a vintage B neck thinner back profile I use them alot cause I have girl hands  :?
The B is actually referring to the width of the nut. There are A, B, C & D widths, though B is the most common. The overall profile varies fairly significantly on old ones. The newer models seem much more consistent though. In my experience, the AVRI stuff has thicker necks than the Japanese.

Justin
Last edited by i love sharin foo on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonicblue64
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sonicblue64 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:33 pm

I like the CIJ i think the necks feel a bit better than some of the AV's.

Angel221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Angel221 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:39 am

I replaced the neck on my cij with a sqiure pro tone neck. The cij felt like a baseball bat in my hands.  Yes i do have girlie hands. The neck has made the guitar a joy to play.
Life on a Cool Curve

bebenavole
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bebenavole » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:38 am

well I too have smalish hands but thin necks are a big no for me. Has anyone taken the caliper and measured teir CIJ neck?

a.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:31 am

Regardless of neck dimensions, value, or anything else, I would suggest that just go play both before buying. Find a friend of a friend who has one. Go to your music store where you will be buying and ask them if they can get one for you to try out and decide.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 am

pullover wrote: Regardless of neck dimensions, value, or anything else, I would suggest that just go play both before buying. Find a friend of a friend who has one. Go to your music store where you will be buying and ask them if they can get one for you to try out and decide.
go back and reread his first post, duder.  ;D