Re: blocks & binding

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

blocks & binding

Post by berlinbetty » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:48 am

I just sent a letter to allparts appealing to them that they need to offer a neck with binding AND blocks so I don't have to pay Warmoth's draconian prices.  I think anyone else wanting such a neck should write to them in the near future and make a similar request and maybe I can get this damn Stratacoustic neck off of my new favorite guitar.  Thanks for any help in advance!
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:11 pm

I agree with you that it would be great, but I just have a hard time thinking that AllParts will be too eager to add these. They do a pretty good job of covering the broader parts requirements but something as specialized as a binding / blocks neck (particularly since some would like a 24" scale version as opposed to a 25.5" scale) just wouldn't generate the sales. Plus they're ordering from some factory overseas (Japan, I believe) so they're probably limited in these kinds of production decisions.

Maybe writing to Musikraft would be more productive as they make their own stuff and might be able to get a decent price if they knew that there was interest.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Hey, thanks!  I'll have to check them out...  I was watching a regular RI JM neck on ebay tonight, but it's already at $283!!! What really grinds my gears is that there are bunches of guitars on ebay with necks that have blocks and binding that are cheaper (for the whole guitar, mind you) than what it costs for a neck!  But, what're ya gonna do?  I'm actually thinking about getting one of those bound necks and taking a crack at doing my own inlay work, as I see those block inlay sets are fairly cheap.  Maybe Santa will bring me a Dremel...!

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:46 pm

Here's their "contact" page. Please let us know what they say.

http://musikraft.3dcartstores.com/Contact-Us_ep_5.html
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 am

Here's the reply I got from allparts about offering a block and binding neck:

"Check out Ebay.  There's a guy that buys Fender guitars, takes them apart, then sells the parts on Ebay.  His store name is the Stratosphere and his name is reliablefender.

Thanks,
Allparts"

Still waiting to hear back from Musikraft...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:48 am

berlinbetty wrote: Here's the reply I got from allparts about offering a block and binding neck:

"Check out Ebay.  There's a guy that buys Fender guitars, takes them apart, then sells the parts on Ebay.  His store name is the Stratosphere and his name is reliablefender.

Thanks,
Allparts"

Still waiting to hear back from Musikraft...
I take that means that they won't be adding them to their line.  :D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:21 am

this is amazing!

I had no idea there was a person called Allparts handling their email!!  :o  ???

:D
Resident Spartan.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 am

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to sell one of my guitars just for a neck.  Oh, well...  I was looking through Warmoth's "Showcase" section and they have a very sexy "b&b" neck right near the top of the strat neck page. :?  After seeing a regular JM neck go for almost $300 on eBay last night, my resolve (and general cheapskatedness) is being broken down.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:54 am

This one, eh?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:55 am

I'd venture a guess that it'll cost more then $300 to get a block and binding neck made and finished.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 pm

I'd just wait for an original on ebay, and buy that....I've had a blocks & binding Jazzmaster, and the neck really didn't look like the Warmoth one...the blocks look REALLY wrong to me.... :(

not to mention the headstock is the wrong size...too small
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:28 pm

Agreed - those are more like Gibson blocks.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:31 pm

There's nothing wrong per se with the Warmoth neck .. just that, like zhiv & mjet, my eye expects the blocks to be a little taller and the headstock to be a fat CBS shovel:

Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:03 pm

Yes, it most likely will cost more than $300 to get a b&b neck, in fact the base price from Warmoth (with the CBS headstock, of course) is $357 and that's without a finish.  But then I see Allparts bass necks with b&b going for the $240 range!  Sometimes life just isn't fair, ya know?  Bastards!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:23 pm

yeah, it sucks...but hey, look at the bright side...if you wanted a vintage pre-cbs Jazzmaster neck, you'd also have to fight the $trat guys who want them for their guitars!

at least the b&b necks are not as desirable as the clay dot ones :)
Resident Spartan.