Baritone Jazzmaster... kind of...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Baritone Jazzmaster... kind of...

Post by Ian » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:51 am

A local guitar shop (one of the better ones here in Toronto) had a baritone Jazzmaster style guitar in - it sold pretty fast.

Not my cup of tea exactly, but maybe of interest to some.

http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.asp?ID=3037

They've had a couple of Nash Jazzmasters in too, from time to time.

http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.asp?ID=2918
http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.asp?ID=2944

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Baritone Jazzmaster... kind of...

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:58 pm

Yeah, I saw that one there.

I actually owned that sunburst jazzmaster for about a week. I returned it and am planning on getting a AV ri instead. It just wasn't a good guitar. The "relic" process was pretty bad, the finish was very thin and was similar to to the new highway 1 guitars. The guitar weighed like 4 or 5 pounds and produced a very weak sound when played at high volumes. I'm not a fan of nash guitars, anymore.  :-\

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:10 pm

Well, i hope they got a deal.  I can't  see the sense in buying a conversion neck or expensive long scale guitar for B-B tuning, when you can just get some great big freakin strings.
I prefer their older stuff.

Yannic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yannic » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:37 am

well a longer scale length ensures that your string tension remains decent right? So that your string won't go all "wobily wobily".

on a side note, is it possible to convert a normal guitar into a baritone? I know you can just tune down to B-b and slap on some heavy gage strings, but I find the results far from satifing.

Stil, I think that baritone jazzmaster looks great  :). A baritone is the only thing thats missing in my collection at the moment.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:41 am

aen wrote: I can't  see the sense in buying a conversion neck or expensive long scale guitar for B-B tuning, when you can just get some great big freakin strings.
depends on what kind of sound you´re after. there´s a big difference in sound between a standard length guitar with heavy strings tuned B-B, and a long scale one.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:44 am

I've had a converted tele, and low tuned my other teles, jagmasters, and jaguar.  I didn't notice a tone difference, (but i may have just not been paying attention) but the long scale was quite  a pain in the hand! 

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:05 am

the most noticeable difference for me is when i try to use a B-B tuned guitar for more bass-like playing. it doesn´t work at all, while a baritone jag does the job very well.
the detuned guitar works better for playing rock riffs though, so i guess it´s just a matter of what you´re going to do with it.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:22 pm

I s'pose.  I'm certainly not opposed to long-scale baritones, just befuddled.  Now, shortscale basses, that's another story :?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:45 pm

aen wrote: I s'pose.  I'm certainly not opposed to long-scale baritones, just befuddled.  Now, shortscale basses, that's another story :?
I have an old Musicmaster bass that I adore. I've been wanting to buy another real badly because they're still pretty cheap. It sounds great. Obviously not as thick and solid as a P or J, but still pretty damn cool.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger