My experience with the American Vintage II Jazzmaster.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RavageTheEarth
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

My experience with the American Vintage II Jazzmaster.

Post by RavageTheEarth » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm

I've wanted a nice Jazzmaster for a while now. I try to do my best to research an instrument before purchasing it so naturally I found some videos and posts talking about QC issues, the wrong trem bar being sent, etc. which worried me, but that was a year ago so I decided to take a chance and ordered a Sunburst one. (Yes, I chose boring ole Sunburst over that sexy Lake Placid blue with the matching headstock.)

It came in recently and the guitar was made at the end of September of 2023. I spent a half hour trying to get all the orange hairs from the case lining that were connected to the body via static electricity off before taking a good look at the guitar. The first thing I checked was that the trem bar fit and luckily it did. I saw no tooling marks on the binding, the nut was nicely cut, and the frets looked nice and shiny.

But then I noticed marks on the fretboard that went up and down the neck. I'm thinking to myself that they didn't scrape off the excess glue after installing the frets. I think they are minor glue stains that were embellished by the guitar sitting in a warehouse after being built. I'm guessing that the fretboard started drying from the frets inward.

I wanted to change the strings anyway so I cut them off and started applying small amounts of lemon oil to a rag and applying that to the fretboard. Luckily those marks disappeared the fretboard turned dark and almost ebony in color. Here is what the rag looked like after cleaning the fretboard.

ART!

And here is what the fretboard looked like a few hours later.

I almost always end up doing a fret leveling and complete setup to all my guitars because I have pretty strict expectations about how I want them to feel and play, but this is by far the best fretwork I've seen from Fender. Right out of the box, the action is low, there is no buzz, and the frets are polished so nicely that it feels exactly like when I polish frets with micromesh up to 10000 grit. And I am VERY picky with this stuff!

I consider it pure luck that I didn't need to do a setup out of the box since that is a given no matter how nice and expensive a guitar is when shipping from one location to the next. Perhaps once the guitar fully settles in a couple of weeks I'll have to make a neck adjustment.

The nitro is done very well and I don't feel like the neck is too sticky, even being someone that mostly plays on satin necks. The guitar sounds incredible and stays in tune even during heavy use of the trem bar.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this guitar and it looks like Fender stepped up their QC with the Vintage II Series after the outrage I saw during the initial batches. I'm not sure I can even blame Fender for the fretboard being like that since the wood continues drying and shrinking after it is built. These days wood doesn't get a good chance to dry before it's built into a guitar with the way current production is.

I hope this helped someone like me who was worried about quality after seeing the posts and videos from a year ago. Here is a full-body shot to wrap this up.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My experience with the American Vintage II Jazzmaster.

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Thanks for the review. I’ve had GAS for one of these lately.
I love that they fixed the headstock, after we all complained about the wrong one being on it.
It looks good in sunburst.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:39 pm

Thanks for the review, it's nice to see these may have better QC these day, even though it is only one example. After selling my AVRI62 I've had my eye on a LPB AVII.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 pm

RavageTheEarth wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm
But then I noticed marks on the fretboard that went up and down the neck. I'm thinking to myself that they didn't scrape off the excess glue after installing the frets. I think they are minor glue stains that were embellished by the guitar sitting in a warehouse after being built. I'm guessing that the fretboard started drying from the frets inward.
I don't think so - looks more like excess buffing compound that wasn't cleaned up after they polished the frets. Glue wouldn't just wipe off.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

RavageTheEarth
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RavageTheEarth » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:36 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 pm
RavageTheEarth wrote:
I don't think so - looks more like excess buffing compound that wasn't cleaned up after they polished the frets. Glue wouldn't just wipe off.
You are right, I didn't think of that. Good call!

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 pm

That’s good to hear - I’m seeing a large number of AVII models on the used UK market (eBay and Gumtree) and I’m wondering why this is. It could just be people need the cash or possibly from the early batches of all models that were released with anecdotal and real QC issues.

I was in the market for a reissue recently and decided to go for a burst AV1 JM which I got a good deal on locally.

Anyway I’m pleased it worked out well for you.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 pm

Marc wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 pm
That’s good to hear - I’m seeing a large number of AVII models on the used UK market (eBay and Gumtree) and I’m wondering why this is. It could just be people need the cash or possibly from the early batches of all models that were released with anecdotal and real QC issues.
I think it's partly the former (everyone is skint) coupled with the wild guitar-world-realisation of offsets that occurred 2020-2023 among former naysayers and non-believers making there a glut in the market when they realised they loved their Strats too much.

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:37 pm

Congratulations! Beautiful guitar -- who doesn't love a tasteful sunburst Fender?
RavageTheEarth wrote:
...the guitar was made at the end of September of 2023. I spent a half hour trying to get all the orange hairs from the case lining that were connected to the body via static electricity...
Same. Mine was made a almost a full year prior (October 2022) but it had the same case lining shed all over the guitar. Though once I vacuumed out the case, it hasn't been an issue.
RavageTheEarth wrote:
...this is by far the best fretwork I've seen from Fender. Right out of the box, the action is low, there is no buzz, and the frets are polished so nicely that it feels exactly like when I polish frets with micromesh up to 10000 grit.
Also same. It played like a dream straight out of the case. Almost 4 months later, and I haven't had to do a thing to it. I've read the early ones were pretty hit-and-miss on the QC, but this one was definitely a hit.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Rob wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:37 pm
Congratulations! Beautiful guitar -- who doesn't love a tasteful sunburst Fender?
RavageTheEarth wrote:
...the guitar was made at the end of September of 2023. I spent a half hour trying to get all the orange hairs from the case lining that were connected to the body via static electricity...
Same. Mine was made a almost a full year prior (October 2022) but it had the same case lining shed all over the guitar. Though once I vacuumed out the case, it hasn't been an issue.
RavageTheEarth wrote:
...this is by far the best fretwork I've seen from Fender. Right out of the box, the action is low, there is no buzz, and the frets are polished so nicely that it feels exactly like when I polish frets with micromesh up to 10000 grit.
Also same. It played like a dream straight out of the case. Almost 4 months later, and I haven't had to do a thing to it. I've read the early ones were pretty hit-and-miss on the QC, but this one was definitely a hit.
I would say at some point around 2016-17 onwards the quality of G and G cases dropped somewhat most likely to reduce costs. Specifically the quality of the latches and lock don’t seem as sturdy and the plating seems cheaper looking. It’s possible the lining changed as well to something that sheds more hair. I sent a custom shop Strat back a couple of years ago because a side dot on the neck was completely missing and not even had the hole drilled. The case lock latch on that didn’t open when you released it without ‘coaxing’.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:41 am

Marc wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 pm

I would say at some point around 2016-17 onwards the quality of G and G cases dropped somewhat most likely to reduce costs. Specifically the quality of the latches and lock don’t seem as sturdy and the plating seems cheaper looking. It’s possible the lining changed as well to something that sheds more hair.
Sadly, these don't even come with G&G cases anymore (I think the first batch did, though). Just some cheaper Fender-brand version made in Mexico or China.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:30 am

sunburster wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:41 am
Marc wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 pm

I would say at some point around 2016-17 onwards the quality of G and G cases dropped somewhat most likely to reduce costs. Specifically the quality of the latches and lock don’t seem as sturdy and the plating seems cheaper looking. It’s possible the lining changed as well to something that sheds more hair.
Sadly, these don't even come with G&G cases anymore (I think the first batch did, though). Just some cheaper Fender-brand version made in Mexico or China.
That’s such bullshit. At that cost (for me will be 3500 in Canadian dollars, which is a big cost for just about anyone up here), it should be a G&G and nothing less.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:17 am

sunburster wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:41 am
Mine's one the early ones (small headstock, 06 OCT 2022 packing stamp), but I guess not the first batch, as it came with what the Fender website calls "Vintage-Style Black (Orange Interior)" instead of the G&G that the rest of my American Vintage Fenders had. Nothing in the case candy or tags to indicate its place of manufacture, but it ain't no G&G.

Looks almost identical on the outside, down to the same little spaghetti-Fender badge under the handle. But, unlike the G&Gs, this one has the big metal automotive Fender badge on the top side of the case. Everything about the interior feels cheap. The leather is hard and poorly riveted, the storage hinge is like a poorly-bound book that feels like it's going to break every time I open it, and of course, the aforementioned cheap liner that shed little acrylic fibers all over the guitar during shipping.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:15 am

The one I had briefly before returning it (first batch into the UK) had the same shitty quality case with wobbly leather ends etc. To be honest, there was plenty wrong with the guitar itself too but I've heard the QC is better now.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:31 am

My AO JM came with a G&G case, but not sure if I maybe lucked out. Maybe the boy in the shop just grabbed one from the back or something.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:35 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:31 am
My AO JM came with a G&G case, but not sure if I maybe lucked out. Maybe the boy in the shop just grabbed one from the back or something.
AOs still came with them I think. The one for my AO60s Tele is G&G. Pretty sure the change happened with the AVII line