Johnny Marr Jaguar Serial # Question

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
john_t
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Johnny Marr Jaguar Serial # Question

Post by john_t » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 pm

Hello-

I have made my foray into offset guitars and bought a used Johnny Marr Jaguar on CL in Olympic White. Beautiful guitar. It came with the original case, but without the paperwork. The headstock has the signature and the body and controls seem authentic. However, when I put the "V" serial number from the neck plate into the Fender Serial Lookup, it comes up with a Marr Jaguar in Kandy Orange. Is this color mismatch typical? Or something weird going on?

Thanks in advance!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Jaguar Serial # Question

Post by GilmourD » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm

john_t wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 pm
Hello-

I have made my foray into offset guitars and bought a used Johnny Marr Jaguar on CL in Olympic White. Beautiful guitar. It came with the original case, but without the paperwork. The headstock has the signature and the body and controls seem authentic. However, when I put the "V" serial number from the neck plate into the Fender Serial Lookup, it comes up with a Marr Jaguar in Kandy Orange. Is this color mismatch typical? Or something weird going on?

Thanks in advance!
Which Fender serial lookup did you use? I ask because there's two ways to do it.

There's https://serialnumberlookup.fender.com/lookup/ which is usually good but sometimes misses some.

Sometimes when that doesn't work, I log into my account on Fender and add it to my My Gear (https://www.fender.com/profile/products/my-gear).

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:05 am

If it makes you feel more reassured, mine doesn't exist according to the database and it was bought new from a dealer ;D

Edit: went down a rabbit hole and not a single one of my guitars was found...

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 am

john_t wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 pm
Hello-

Thanks in advance!
It's possible that the previous owner bought parts from Stratosphere and assembled a Marr Jaguar.

john_t
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by john_t » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:17 am

Thanks for the input. I tried the serial on "My Gear" as well, and the same orange guitar shows up, with the build date of March 2019. I took the neck and the pickguard off. The neck has the J. Marr Jag sticker with the model no., which I've seen before. The body has the #91891 stamp with a date of Feb. 2019. The end of the neck has some residue of white finish which is a promising sign, since the body is olympic white. No evidence of K. Orange finish anywhere. The case is the original J. Marr case, but there is no paperwork. I'll post some pics once I figure out a photo hosting platform.

Is it cheaper to assemble a J. Marr from authentic parts off Stratosphere compared to buying a decent used model?

B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B.T. » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:52 am

To add to what Meriphew is eluding to, you ran the serial that’s on the neck plate and that could have came from an orange JM Jag.