I just bought a CIJ Jaguar Special!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I just bought a CIJ Jaguar Special!

Post by djetz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0059506892 - check it out.

Bought and paid for, shipped tom'w. Whoo-ha!

Yes, it isn't a regular Jag, I already have single coils + whammy in my str*t, wanted something different without going to Gibson territory. It's a safe purchase, since if I hate it I can resell it here in Australia for a profit on what it cost me. 

Now, does anyone have anything to say about the Dragster pickups? I hear they're OK, and I'm planning on giving them a chance, but I think it's likely that I'll be replacing them before too long. I sense a "what humbuckers for Jag Special" thread coming in the near future.
-=264=-

gogothegogo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I just bought a CIJ Jaguar Special!

Post by gogothegogo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:36 am

hi

I have jag special myself and I reworked whole electronics few times so I can tell you few words on this.

Dragster pickups are fine pickups, but on my jag they sounded much to bassy and lacked treble, and in my opinion treble is what jag should have in whatever form it comes.

I put P90 in humbucker format in there and they sound great.
check guitarfetish.com, they have great pickups for incredible low prices

I put dragster humbucker in bridge position to my ash telecaster and it sounds great. lacks clarity on bass though, but it is one of best cheap stock pickups I had, but I will replace it with GFS widerange clone anytime now.

cheers,

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 am

gogothegogo wrote: hi

I have jag special myself and I reworked whole electronics few times so I can tell you few words on this.

Dragster pickups are fine pickups, but on my jag they sounded much to bassy and lacked treble, and in my opinion treble is what jag should have in whatever form it comes.

I put P90 in humbucker format in there and they sound great.
check guitarfetish.com, they have great pickups for incredible low prices

I put dragster humbucker in bridge position to my ash telecaster and it sounds great. lacks clarity on bass though, but it is one of best cheap stock pickups I had, but I will replace it with GFS widerange clone anytime now.

cheers,
Thanks for the input. I agree that a Jag's gotta have treble. I'm already aware of GFS, I've been thinking about their lipstick humbuckers in fact. I think they may be more the sort of thing I'd want... not too much of the humbucker clang. I play ultra clean most of the time.

By the way, the GFS widerange are actually copies of the RE-ISSUE wide-range, not the original ones which had a unique design and a rare kind of magnet alloy thing. I'm not saying the GFS widerange are bad pickups, I haven't heard them so I have no opinion. But the opinions I've heard agree that they don't sound much like the original Fender widerange pickups. Whch is a bummer. I'm pretty sure that there is no one (including Fender) making wide-range copies that are anything like the 70s ones.
-=264=-

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:00 pm

Hmm, it's just aesthetic, but does anyone else agree that might look a lot better if the pickups were mounted to the pickguard?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am

FireAarro wrote: Hmm, it's just aesthetic, but does anyone else agree that might look a lot better if the pickups were mounted to the pickguard?
Yeah, I do.  I'm collecting parts for an XII inspired guitar (possibly baritone) and have some HBs with chrome covers that I want to use.  I was thinking I'd mount them directly to the pickguard, and skip the surrounds.  With the mounting surrounds, it kind of looks like a bit of Gibson heritage.  All a matter of personal taste however.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...