Black Bobbin Phantone

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Black Bobbin Phantone

Post by welshywelsh » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:20 am

preservation wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:34 am
I was looking for more info bc BB said it was on the site - I found nothing. I love the looks, but more than $1300-1500 for a JM-inspired variant causes me to instantly lose interest.
Here you go: https://blackbobbin.com/collections/bla ... n-phantone

I guess it's about £1k over what it'd cost to make a Jazzmaster yourself, or upgrade a CIJ? I don't think that's too bad for something more unique, but I really like Castedosa from Carlo's Fender Custom Shop days, so I'm a little biased.

That said, I won't be paying £3k either!

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:16 am

You’re not going to find too many small batch guitar makers offering basically custom shop quality guitars for under $1,500. If you do they are using cheap parts or cheaping out somewhere.

The mastery hardware alone comes to around $500. Good pickups $300-400. Good neck $300+ plus cost for OEM custom headstock shape set up on a CNC, body made of quality wood at least $200, quality paint job $300-$500. Then there’s wiring, other hardware, a case, assembly, setup and they have to make a profit…unless it’s all for charity.

Fender and bigger establishments assembly line this stuff and use their own, often pretty crappy hardware parts and wiring. The quality control is hit or miss…mostly miss these days and you end up swapping parts anyway.

It’s why more people are buying from guys like Shelby. You are paying a guy to give more attention to detail and customize a guitar for you. Sure, you can do it yourself. You can also repair your own car as well…many don’t want to do that. Step outside the hobbyist builder world on this site. Most people just want to buy a quality guitar that is ace straight out of the box. You pay a higher price for that.

I’m developing my own line of Jazzmasters basically out of frustration of how crappy assembly line stuff has been. I’m not able to ever get all the options I want from Fender, so I’m making my own series. It’s a very expensive endeavor to build a guitar with the best parts out there and do some cool custom things on top of it. Maybe people will buy them maybe they won’t. I don’t really care. I’m doing it for me first anyway. If people want to buy them it’s just a bonus.

If you are not willing to pay over $1,500 for a guitar and you’re good with Squiers and Fenders then you are not the market small builders are banking on anyway. They can’t compete with the big guys on price. What they can do is offer better quality, better parts, customer service and unique customization.

OR you can go to the Fender Custom shop but in that case 3k for a guitar is going to sound like a steal compared to what Fender will charge for that and you’ll still probably want to swap the trem and bridge lol!

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:47 am

Eh, it's essentially just a Kay Vanguard II with Jazzmaster appointments. I think it works really well visually. But like, that's all that it is, except for probably a really well-built guitar with good parts. The Eastwood comparison further up isn't that wrong in that sense.
Last edited by Ceylon on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:37 am

Edit: What I said has apparently been discussed here already so... nevermind....
Last edited by interceptör on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:28 am

here we go again...