NGD (again)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD (again)

Post by RavenCrest » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Could not be happier with the sound, plus the added mute and roller. The sound is soo good.

PearlJamNoCode
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD (again)

Post by PearlJamNoCode » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:18 am

MIM Lacquer?

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 am

PearlJamNoCode wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:18 am
MIM Lacquer?
Yea the model is called "Fender Classic 60's Jaguar Lacquer" I was a bit worried about the tone because I heard a number of these through some videos and I don't know if they weren't mic'd up right or what as they sounded quite tinny. On my PC I have decent monitors (Altec Lansing) and that doesn't make anything else sound odd to me. So I have to wonder if these pickups are original. I'll probably pull the strings and guard and inspect it here in a couple of months and do so when it comes time to replace the strings.

PearlJamNoCode
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PearlJamNoCode » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:30 am

RavenCrest wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 am
PearlJamNoCode wrote:
MIM Lacquer?
Yea the model is called "Fender Classic 60's Jaguar Lacquer" I was a bit worried about the tone because I heard a number of these through some videos and I don't know if they weren't mic'd up right or what as they sounded quite tinny. On my PC I have decent monitors (Altec Lansing) and that doesn't make anything else sound odd to me. So I have to wonder if these pickups are original. I'll probably pull the strings and guard and inspect it here in a couple of months and do so when it comes time to replace the strings.
I have the exact same model in Lake Placid Blue, original PV65 pickups and I love them.

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:05 pm

PearlJamNoCode wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:30 am
RavenCrest wrote:
PearlJamNoCode wrote:
MIM Lacquer?
I have the exact same model in Lake Placid Blue, original PV65 pickups and I love them.
Post some pictures, initially I was lookin for that color but never saw an available one

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:25 pm

RavenCrest wrote:
PearlJamNoCode wrote:
MIM Lacquer?
Honestly, you can never go by YouTube videos. Who knows how they recorded anything? Some of them are straight up terrible and they're things I own which sound completely different. Unfortunately, not everybody is like Pete Thorn where he could make a fart in a cardboard box sound godly. :D

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:55 am

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:25 pm
RavenCrest wrote:
PearlJamNoCode wrote:
MIM Lacquer?
Honestly, you can never go by YouTube videos. Who knows how they recorded anything? Some of them are straight up terrible and they're things I own which sound completely different. Unfortunately, not everybody is like Pete Thorn where he could make a fart in a cardboard box sound godly. :D
Ok now that's a funny close. You do make a good point about the mic'ing up, that said with the right speakers, or even high quality headphones playback can sound pretty good. Even old videos that have been digitized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2lTLVJE1bY

Now much of that will depend on the type of computer, if it's your phone, or laptop, tablet etc. But if you're a stubborn olbastage like myself, you have a traditional tower running a modern setup ;)

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:36 am

RavenCrest wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:55 am
GilmourD wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:25 pm
RavenCrest wrote:

Ok now that's a funny close. You do make a good point about the mic'ing up, that said with the right speakers, or even high quality headphones playback can sound pretty good. Even old videos that have been digitized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2lTLVJE1bY

Now much of that will depend on the type of computer, if it's your phone, or laptop, tablet etc. But if you're a stubborn olbastage like myself, you have a traditional tower running a modern setup ;)
Oh, I'm a computer tech by trade and a hobbyist (NOT professional) audio engineer. It's almost easier to get something to sound good with a garbage playback setup if it's recorded well than it is to get a garbage recording to play back on the best playback equipment ever.

The home setup is a Ryzen 5 5600X with 32 gigs of RAM in an older Corsair AIR 540 case (silver edition) with a Scarlett 18i20 outputting to JBL 305P monitors. I have some OK mics (a Sterling and a couple MXL 990's as well as an SM57).

The problem comes when you have something recorded on an old iPhone with the mic off-axis and half covered with something. LOL Garbage in, garbage out!