KNOB: (Kenny's New Offset Bass) - Soloking MJ1 Classic 4 String Bass in Lake Placid Blue

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

KNOB: (Kenny's New Offset Bass) - Soloking MJ1 Classic 4 String Bass in Lake Placid Blue

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:16 am

I recently spotted that Andertons are selling a few instruments from the "Soloking" brand. The bass was of particular interest, because it bears an uncanny resemblance to the Fender Roscoe Beck IV, which is pretty much impossible to find these days. At 250 quid, it seemed like too good a chance to miss, so I took the plunge. It duly arrived, and looks like this:

Lake placid blue's a bit of a difficult colour to get right, but this is a good one - nice sparkle to the finish, and the colour shifts with the light, deep blue at some angles, hint of turquoise in there at others. Everything my old Fender MIM tele's LPB finish wasn't.

The bass came double-boxed from Andertons. No gig-bag included (fair enough at this price), but there is a small pack of goodies - Allen keys, truss rod adjuster, Soloking-branded polishing cloth and picks, and a cable.

The neck is roasted maple, my first experience with the technique, and feels very nice - slim, satin-y, smooth and shallow. Jazz bass string spacing, 21 frets. The fretwork is pretty well done. There's a matching headstock, wheel truss rod adjuster, decent enough tuners. The fretboard overhangs the neck to get the 21st fret in, which makes me wonder if the neck pocket is Fender-standard size (haven't checked yet, but I know it's the kind of thing Team Bitza will want to know, so I may report back on that later).

The body is made of *checks Andertons website* alder, and feels reasonably resonant. This particular bass weighs in at just over 9lb/4Kg on my kitchen scales. It certainly feels like a reasonably lightweight jass bass.

Electronics - there's two double-jazz humbuckers with coil taps (just on or off, the original RBIV had three way switches for single coil/series/parallel mode), with a 3-way switch, volume and tone.
I've not played with the band yet, but have given it a blast through my practice amp. The set-up out the box is decent enough - the action is perhaps a touch high, and the nut could be filed down a touch, but I'm not rushing it straight out for a pro set-up. Tone-wise, the humbuckers are deep and bassy, but quite articulate. The various switching options offer a good variety of tones, but if I was being picky, I can't get a P-bass style growl out of it. But then, that's what I've got a p-bass for...

All in all, a very good bass for the money.

I'm planning on a few mods:
  • I've got a Hipshot Bass Extender I think will fit it.
  • Might speak to Earlpilanz about getting a white pearloid pickguard made to replace the cream one.
  • I'm planning on replacing the cup jack socket with a surface-mounted plate one.
  • I'll maybe replace the 2-way coil tap switches with 3 way ones and try to replicate the Roscoe Beck IV switching.
    With the 3-way pickup selector switch, tempted to go for a 4 way one for further series/parallel fun, but tne other thing I was thinking with the pickup selector - on Jass basses, the tones I prefer tend to be one pickup on full, the other knocked back slightly to open up the sound. With this, the middle switch position has both on full. I wonder if I could do something clever with a 5-way switch to get: Neck only, neck and a bit of bridge, both on full, bridge and a bit of neck, bridge only?
One final thing to mention, with the headstock design, it's slightly longer than a Jazz Bass, which may be a consideration for cases, gig-bags and car boots.
Kenny

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: KNOB: (Kenny's New Offset Bass) - Soloking MJ1 Classic 4 String Bass in Lake Placid Blue

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:41 am

Looks great! I love the Roscoe Beck IV model, and this does indeed bear an uncanny resemblance, as you say.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

PlayWithPride
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: KNOB: (Kenny's New Offset Bass) - Soloking MJ1 Classic 4 String Bass in Lake Placid Blue

Post by PlayWithPride » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:28 am

Lake Placid Blue isn't a color, it's a notion. And exactly what shade that notion is depends upon who you are asking. No one gets Lake Placid Blue "right" because that is impossible.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:17 am

That looks great!
Love the pickguard and body shape!

And out of curiosity: are the pickups Jazzmaster sized?

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:38 pm

Am I wrong to think this looks a lot like the now discontinued Fender Dimension bass?

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:27 pm

PlayWithPride wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:28 am
Lake Placid Blue isn't a color, it's a notion. And exactly what shade that notion is depends upon who you are asking. No one gets Lake Placid Blue "right" because that is impossible.
what?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:12 pm

Lovely bass! I really love the pickguard shape, how it's familiar and yet unique. :-*
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:46 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:17 am
And out of curiosity: are the pickups Jazzmaster sized?
Not quite - they're double-width jazz bass pickups, so 95mm x 40mm (not including the mounting lugs).
Kenny

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:33 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:12 pm
Lovely bass! I really love the pickguard shape, how it's familiar and yet unique. :-*
It's reminiscent of the 70s Telecaster bass and thinline Tele pickguards, which I'm a big fan of.
Kenny

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:39 pm

burpgun wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:38 pm
Am I wrong to think this looks a lot like the now discontinued Fender Dimension bass?
Similar, but the real influence is the Fender Roscoe Beck IV.
Kenny

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:14 pm

Nice bass!

This thread made me check out Soloking guitars. They look interesting. They seem like well made Chinese guitars and I read somewhere that they're quite common in Asia. Looks like Andertons is their first European dealer. Lots of different models (some jazzmasters too!) and nice finishes: https://www.instagram.com/solokingguita ... 5ldndnOQ==

There's some factory tour videos on YouTube as well.

theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theremintheme » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:46 am

Soloking are Indonesian guitars I think. They do have a staggering amount of models, some earlier ones were straight up replicas of the Meteora for example.