Fender Vintera II Leaked?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Vintera II Leaked?

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:36 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:14 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:10 pm
the only current US Jag is Johnny Marr’s, in which I have zero interest.
Yeah, I'd rather have an old MIJ Jag than a Marr one.
Same. It’s not that I don’t like the features of the Marr Jag, just I’ve always avoided owning signature instruments (except for the Fender J Mascis in purple sparkle, which I bought primarily for its appearance, rather than because of J).
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:41 am

JSett wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Different tastes, etc. but my Marr jaguar is the favorite jaguar (and offset) I've had as far as sound, feel, etc. But: chipping paint if you look at it wrong. (And that includes my 1964 jaguar).

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:20 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 am

Vintera II Jazzmasters have no room for bridge movement in the thimbles. They're locked in tight!
Oh shit shitty bridge cutout pickguards :squint:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:39 am

I checked out a Vintera II Jazzmaster and Jaguar in the shop yesterday. The bridges on both were pretty much flush with the body. Definitely need a setup and shim. But otherwise they were really nice. I don't love the prices but I don't mind that they're made in Mexico. Mexico/USA, it makes no difference to me.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:30 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:41 am
JSett wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Different tastes, etc. but my Marr jaguar is the favorite jaguar (and offset) I've had as far as sound, feel, etc. But: chipping paint if you look at it wrong. (And that includes my 1964 jaguar).
I’ve played a Marr Jag, and love all its features and its tone, I just don’t want to own anymore signature instruments. That’s my only real reason to turn my nose up at one.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:48 pm

I once talked to someone in a guitar store who was very much against signature models, but then they started talking about how much they wanted a Les Paul. I could barely keep a straight face. If someone's dead-set against a signature model, to each their own - but keep it consistent ;)

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:30 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:20 am
Oh shit shitty bridge cutout pickguards :squint:
Do you think they're planning on doing a Vintera II modified with an AOM bridge and just streamlining the pickguards? I can't think of any benefit here given the lip of the thimble seems to stick up just as high as (or higher than) the pickguard.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:32 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 am

Vintera II Jazzmasters have no room for bridge movement in the thimbles. They're locked in tight!
If that bridge is no longer rocking then it needs to be categorized as a whole new bridge design. Whose merits are unclear and likely disadvantages are several.

The product page specs says the bridge is "6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece " (ie same description as has always been used for the rocking vintage-style bridge). If it's not rocking, then that description would be wrong. And it certainly wouldn't be a "50's" style bridge.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:23 pm

timtam wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:32 pm
The product page specs says the bridge is "6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece " (ie same description as has always been used for the rocking vintage-style bridge). If it's not rocking, then that description would be wrong. And it certainly wouldn't be a "50's" style bridge.
Actually, I think they're talking about the tremolo on the 2nd half of the sentence rather than the bridge. The tremolo is floating since it allows the pitch to go up and down, regardless of whether the bridge is rocking or not. I certainly get your point, but I don't think that statement from Fender is technically incorrect. I think the bigger issue is that Fender only has an entry in the specs section for "Bridge", and unlike a Stratocaster, the bridge and tremolo are two different pieces of hardware, so they're having to mention both in the same section.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:09 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:23 pm
timtam wrote:
Actually, I think they're talking about the tremolo on the 2nd half of the sentence rather than the bridge. The tremolo is floating since it allows the pitch to go up and down, regardless of whether the bridge is rocking or not. I certainly get your point, but I don't think that statement from Fender is technically incorrect. I think the bigger issue is that Fender only has an entry in the specs section for "Bridge", and unlike a Stratocaster, the bridge and tremolo are two different pieces of hardware, so they're having to mention both in the same section.
I was referring to the first half of that specification - "6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable" - which is the stock description of the vintage-style rocking bridge. The full specification is:
Bridge 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece

So that description has always meant the rocking bridge. Many people might not get that distinction (one often wonders how much of Leo's offset design features Fender actually "gets" ... eg their use of (high friction) AOM bridges, closer trems, anti-rocking nylon bushings in Am Pro guitars, a few years back having offset setup instructions that said to lubricate the string-saddle contact points on the rocking bridge, providing less trem setup instructions now than they did in 1974, ... now perhaps a "vintage-style" bridge that does not rock).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:36 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:48 pm
I once talked to someone in a guitar store who was very much against signature models, but then they started talking about how much they wanted a Les Paul. I could barely keep a straight face. If someone's dead-set against a signature model, to each their own - but keep it consistent ;)
Well, an LP is a bit different. It was an original design that was more a 'developed from scratch with...' rather than an existing model with one or two touches then a name slapped on it. Flawed comparison
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:44 am

timtam wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:09 pm
alexpigment wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:23 pm
timtam wrote:
I was referring to the first half of that specification - "6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable" - which is the stock description of the vintage-style rocking bridge. The full specification is:
Bridge 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece

So that description has always meant the rocking bridge. Many people might not get that distinction (one often wonders how much of Leo's offset design features Fender actually "gets" ... eg their use of (high friction) AOM bridges, closer trems, anti-rocking nylon bushings in Am Pro guitars, a few years back having offset setup instructions that said to lubricate the string-saddle contact points on the rocking bridge, providing less trem setup instructions now than they did in 1974, ... now perhaps a "vintage-style" bridge that does not rock).
But the bridge is the same. It's just the thimbles that are different... maybe you should write Fender a letter?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:03 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:44 am
But the bridge is the same. It's just the thimbles that are different... maybe you should write Fender a letter?
The thimbles are part of the rocking bridge and fundamental to how it works.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:10 am

When you buy a Fender bridge, do the thimbles come with it, or are they separate?

Tritone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tritone » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:30 am

I picked up one of the Jaguars last week. The fit and finish is excellent, except the sleeve for the vibrato arm is loose and wobbly, but that can probably be remedied the next time I change strings and can remove the vibrato assembly to tighten things up. I'm just not sure I'm a Jaguar guy. The inherently plinky, midrangey sound isn't bad, but not something I see myself going for very often.