Fender Japan Junior Series - 24” Scale Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Japan Junior Series - 24” Scale Jazzmaster

Post by Iffymiffy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:40 am

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-japan- ... -finishes/

Interested in this, price seems high for a “junior” model for kids, about the same price as their normal Japan made range but am wondering if it will sound similar to a Jaguar but with JM pickups.

Any thoughts?

raritanriversider
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Japan Junior Series - 24” Scale Jazzmaster

Post by raritanriversider » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:12 am

My guess would be they wanna expand their offerings for women and other smaller players? Heard that’s an expanding market with the COVID guitar boom

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:48 am

Why the hell wouldn't they have a Jaguar?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:30 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:48 am
Because they're 24" scale versions of 25.5" scale guitars? I see where you're coming from, though.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:02 pm

vistavision wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:30 am
Maggieo wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:48 am
Because they're 24" scale versions of 25.5" scale guitars? I see where you're coming from, though.
Well, a 22 9/16” scale Jag would find its place somewhere in the OSG world.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:54 am

I bought the Telecaster from this series (there is a thread on the non-offset forum). I would say that it *very* much sounds like a Telecaster, so maybe the Junior JM also does sound like a JM?

It is 100% not a kid guitar (I think the 'Junior" moniker is unfortunate). The neck is identical (profile, nut width, radius, etc.) to a modern C but with shorter scale length. The body is only slightly smaller than a Telecaster in the same way the Cory Wong body is smaller than that of a Strat. The build quality is off the charts. They are no more or less expensive than other MIJ models, but people's reaction would probably be that they are the "smaller" version so should command a smaller price.

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 am

As a guy who is 5'3", I can appreciate this. Totally agree that calling them junior is unfortunate. It'll lead to the same negative attitude that people in the 60s had about the Jaguar as being a student or child's guitar due to the shorter-scale. Plenty of pros play Jaguars today but I still hear that type of stigma when I talk to older techs.

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:13 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:54 am
I bought the Telecaster from this series (there is a thread on the non-offset forum). I would say that it *very* much sounds like a Telecaster, so maybe the Junior JM also does sound like a JM?

It is 100% not a kid guitar (I think the 'Junior" moniker is unfortunate). The neck is identical (profile, nut width, radius, etc.) to a modern C but with shorter scale length. The body is only slightly smaller than a Telecaster in the same way the Cory Wong body is smaller than that of a Strat. The build quality is off the charts. They are no more or less expensive than other MIJ models, but people's reaction would probably be that they are the "smaller" version so should command a smaller price.
Really glad to have seen this! I put an order in for one of the Jazzmasters on the day they were announced (or the day the announcement was posted here) and it's finally due to arrive tomorrow. Not sure how you got yours but I went with ZenMarket, a Japanese proxy shopping site, to get it shipped over to the UK.

Hardly seen anything on it so feeling nervous about what it's going to be like when it comes but spec wise it's perfect for me. I've got my fingers crossed that the weight is in the line with the handful listed on Japanese sites that have it at about 6lbs.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 am

drybiro wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:13 am
mediocreplayer wrote:

Really glad to have seen this! I put an order in for one of the Jazzmasters on the day they were announced (or the day the announcement was posted here) and it's finally due to arrive tomorrow. Not sure how you got yours but I went with ZenMarket, a Japanese proxy shopping site, to get it shipped over to the UK.

Hardly seen anything on it so feeling nervous about what it's going to be like when it comes but spec wise it's perfect for me. I've got my fingers crossed that the weight is in the line with the handful listed on Japanese sites that have it at about 6lbs.
Yeah. Wish I was in the market for another guitar. The scale and weight is perfect

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:42 pm

I would've said fuck it and gone the Zenmarket route but I haaaaate the Narrow Tall frets. I just do. Ended up dumping my CV Jaguar and my Paranormal Toronado in part because of them and I don't want to import something from Japan to have the same fate.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:31 am

I’d love to have a short scale JM, and the daphne blue one looks really nice. Unfortunately, the prices (especially with shipping) are too high for me. Those of you who are buying one (or already did), please report back. A demo video would be extremely great, too. Just sayin’.
Thread killer

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:35 am

Wucan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:42 pm
I would've said fuck it and gone the Zenmarket route but I haaaaate the Narrow Tall frets. I just do. Ended up dumping my CV Jaguar and my Paranormal Toronado in part because of them and I don't want to import something from Japan to have the same fate.
I’m 100% with you.
They’re ridiculously uncomfortable to me

Iffymiffy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Iffymiffy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:25 am

I think a matching headstock colour scheme might tip me over the edge, so I really hope these will be successful or maybe even get “Squier-ed”

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:52 am

drybiro wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:13 am
mediocreplayer wrote:

Did you get your Junior JM yet? Let us know how you like it!

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:52 am
Did you get your Junior JM yet? Let us know how you like it!
It got stuck with FedEx in Paris for a bit which was worrying but looks like it’s just been delivered today so I’ll definitely let you know how it is when I get home and can give it try later.