OMG All aluminium Jazzmaster!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: OMG All aluminium Jazzmaster!

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 am

djetz wrote: Aluminium is spelled aluminium, according to International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, the scientific body that decides what elements are called. They'll "allow" the US spelling, but the correct one is  the way everybody except the USA spells it.
::)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 am

...yes, we all know the futility of trying to get Americans to admit they're wrong about something.

The guy that first identified the existence of a metal base of alum - or "invented aluminium" if you want the simple version - was Humphry Davy, an Englishman.

You know what he named it? Aluminium.

So the international scientific community and the guy who first isolated the element are both wrong and the American version is somehow correct? Exactly how do you figure that?
-=264=-

waynebell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by waynebell » Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 am

At least you wouldn't have to worry too much about shielding!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 am

Honestly, I don't really care.  It's just like the "U" in words like harbor/harbour, or criticize/criticise etc.  It's a different dialect or form of English, and it's not wrong.  I just rolled my eyes because of the typical authoritative Djetz statement.  I'm not offended, and I'm not trying to offend.  It's what I've come to expect, and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Mon May 26, 2008 7:10 am

djetz wrote: ...yes, we all know the futility of trying to get Americans to admit they're wrong about something.

The guy that first identified the existence of a metal base of alum - or "invented aluminium" if you want the simple version - was Humphry Davy, an Englishman.

You know what he named it? Aluminium.

So the international scientific community and the guy who first isolated the element are both wrong and the American version is somehow correct? Exactly how do you figure that?
umm...

"In 1761 Guyton de Morveau suggested calling the base alum alumine. In 1808, Humphry Davy identified the existence of a metal base of alum, which he at first termed alumium and later aluminum (see Etymology section, below).
The statue of the Angel of Christian Charity (commonly mistaken for Eros) in Piccadilly Circus London, was made in 1893 and is one of the first statues to be cast in aluminium.
The statue of the Angel of Christian Charity (commonly mistaken for Eros) in Piccadilly Circus London, was made in 1893 and is one of the first statues to be cast in aluminium.

Friedrich Wöhler is generally credited with isolating aluminium (Latin alumen, alum) in 1827 by mixing anhydrous aluminium chloride with potassium. As the metal had first been produced two years earlier (in an impure form) by Danish physicist and chemist Hans Christian Ørsted, Ørsted can also be listed as its discoverer.[18] Further, Pierre Berthier discovered aluminium in bauxite ore and successfully extracted it.[19] Frenchman Henri Etienne Sainte-Claire Deville improved Wöhler's method in 1846, and described his improvements in a book in 1859, chief among these being the substitution of sodium for the considerably more expensive potassium.

(Note: The title of Deville's book is "De l'aluminium, ses propriétés, sa fabrication" (Paris, 1859). Deville likely also conceived the idea of the electrolysis of aluminium oxide dissolved in cryolite; however, Charles Martin Hall and Paul Héroult might have developed the more practical process after Deville.)
'cleanest, best pleasure'

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 am

It was ALUMINUM first hahaha

"The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina. The citation is from his journal Philosophical Transactions: "Had I been so fortunate as..to have procured the metallic substances I was in search of, I should have proposed for them the names of silicium, alumium, zirconium, and glucium."[25]

By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum, which, as other sources note,[citation needed] matches its Latin root. He wrote in the journal Chemical Philosophy: "As yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state."[26] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[27]

The -ium suffix had the advantage of conforming to the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the time: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy had isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time, as for example platinum, known to Europeans since the sixteenth century, molybdenum, discovered in 1778, and tantalum, discovered in 1802.

Americans adopted -ium to fit the standard form of the periodic table of elements, for most of the nineteenth century, with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In 1892, however, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[22] he filed between 1886 and 1903.[28] It has consequently been suggested that the spelling reflects an easier to pronounce word with one fewer syllable, or that the spelling on the flier was a mistake. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America; the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913, though, continued to use the -ium version.

In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant."
'cleanest, best pleasure'

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Mon May 26, 2008 7:21 am

djetz wrote: ...yes, we all know the futility of trying to get Americans to admit they're wrong about something.
America is wrong about a lot of shit.
I know, I Я  one.
:)
Last edited by SPudnik on Mon May 26, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bass VI - A What?

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Mon May 26, 2008 8:08 am

You know us crazy Americans.

It doesn't matter how we spell anything, the offset was created here we win.

;)

(I'm just playin, don't take me too seriously)

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon May 26, 2008 6:22 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Honestly, I don't really care.  It's just like the "U" in words like harbor/harbour, or criticize/criticise etc.  It's a different dialect or form of English, and it's not wrong.  I just rolled my eyes because of the typical authoritative Djetz statement.  I'm not offended, and I'm not trying to offend.  It's what I've come to expect, and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
American English is a different dialect or form of English, which is fine. I use American slang and American-coined words on occasion, too. The US has made a valuable contribution to the English language... but telling people who are spelling something correctly by every definition except your local one that they're doing it wrong is, well,  wrong. That's the sort of thing that gives Americans a reputation for arrogance.
-=264=-

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon May 26, 2008 6:28 pm

northern_dirt wrote: It was ALUMINUM first hahaha
Re-read your own quote: it was alumium first.
-=264=-

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm

dug wrote: You know us crazy Americans.

It doesn't matter how we spell anything, the offset was created here we win.
That's actually the best argument in this whole thread.
-=264=-

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm

k

Holy American English Batman!

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Mon May 26, 2008 6:31 pm

I want it with chrome pickup covers too. Never enough chrome.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 26, 2008 8:48 pm

djetz wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: Honestly, I don't really care.  It's just like the "U" in words like harbor/harbour, or criticize/criticise etc.  It's a different dialect or form of English, and it's not wrong.  I just rolled my eyes because of the typical authoritative Djetz statement.  I'm not offended, and I'm not trying to offend.  It's what I've come to expect, and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
American English is a different dialect or form of English, which is fine. I use American slang and American-coined words on occasion, too. The US has made a valuable contribution to the English language... but telling people who are spelling something correctly by every definition except your local one that they're doing it wrong is, well,  wrong. That's the sort of thing that gives Americans a reputation for arrogance.
It was extremely obvious that my first post was  meant as a joke. ::)  I don't assume I'm better than anyone, because I'm from the US.  I also don't think the US is superior to other Countries....Except for Canada.  :P

(kidding)  ;D

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 26, 2008 8:54 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: I also don't think the US is superior to other Countries....Except for Canada.  :P
And to think, I really didn't want to have to kill you.  ::)