Re: Does anyone know exactly what Kevin Shields did with his tremolo arm?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tinybobseger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tinybobseger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 am

He talks about this a bit in a new video for Fender

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 pm

The thing I don't quite get is wouldn't his tremolo arm constantly be falling out? The tape he uses prevents it from going in fully, and in the video he says he likes the arm really loose and floppy, which would make it even more prone to fall out. I know when I have my trem arm really loose like that it becomes a giant headache to prevent it from falling to the ground while playing.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 am

soul1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 pm
The thing I don't quite get is wouldn't his tremolo arm constantly be falling out? The tape he uses prevents it from going in fully, and in the video he says he likes the arm really loose and floppy, which would make it even more prone to fall out. I know when I have my trem arm really loose like that it becomes a giant headache to prevent it from falling to the ground while playing.
I guess it can't fall out if you're always holding it.

I kind of do an in between where I hate it falling out but it bottoms out when I push it all the way in, so I put some tape as a depth stop at the point where the collet engages but it doesn't bottom out. Apparently I could have gotten a similar result by notching the arm internally, but it works for now I guess.