62 Jazzmasters from Dave’s Guitar Shop

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DrPete
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

62 Jazzmasters from Dave’s Guitar Shop

Post by DrPete » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am

Hello!

I’m liking the look of the matching headstock 62 JMs from Dave’s Guitar Shop.

Has anyone bought from DGS?

Any opinions on the 62 JMs? Are they just a marketing thing? Would I be better paying a bit more for a better model?

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender ... 05-8770-3/

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 Jazzmasters from Dave’s Guitar Shop

Post by pscates » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:41 am

Apologies in advance for the slightly off-topic squawking...

I cannot get my head around how they tout all the "vintage" features/aspects (matching headstock, nitro finish, 60's shaped neck, pickups, tremolo, tuners), and then go with the 9.5" radius. Wouldn't the type of person truly interested in such a model, with all the other features being period-accurate, want/expect a 7.25" on such a guitar? Is that not part of the whole experience? Fender currently offers plenty of modern Jazzmasters with 9.5" necks...that's their nod to modern tastes/preferences. Why do they feel the need to go and monkey with the vintage-styled models in that way?

So why not leave the vintage-style models accurate on that front?! Who, exactly, are they trying to appeal to? The vintage fan/player who somehow can't deal with that one spec? Come on. How many of those could there be?

Even the Vintera line goes with 7.25" necks, but not the high-dollar US made stuff like this model. Maybe at least offer the option? But even that's goofy...how about anything with "1962" as part of its name just come with the right, expected type of neck radius...and let the American Professional, American Original, American Ultra, Player, American Performer and Vintera Modified (six models!), plus the various Squier offerings, carry the 9.5" (or 10-14" compound radius, in the case of the American Ultra) banner? Is that so hard?

It's a beautiful Jazzmaster, but if I'm going to lay out $2K for something like this, it had better be everything I prefer. And, sadly, this isn't. And the fact that it should just makes it that much more aggravating. :P

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:20 pm

I agree to an extent, if you are going to label something as a '62 Reissue, it should have a 7.25" radius neck. That said, I'm fine with playing on a 9.5" radius neck.
Fiesta Red with the matching headstock, Thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish with no poly base coat, Alder body, 60’s C shaped Maple neck with a 9.5” radius slab Rosewood fingerboard and medium jumbo frets, Single coil Jazzmaster pickups, Vintage style floating tremolo with lock button and push-in arm, Vintage style tuners, 7.9 pounds, With hardshell case
If the "60's C shaped Maple neck" is a "mid-60s" sized neck is like the '60s Vintera and American Original '60s models, I'm alright with this deviation even though to be more vintage accurate, it would be thinner like the '62 and earlier Jazzmasters.

What's holding me back is the "Single coil Jazzmaster pickups" - so if they're not '62 reissue pickups, are they basically the same that are found in the Vintera line? Other than the spiffy color finish options, clay dots (I think? I'm a sucker for this look, tbh), nitro finish, and US-made, I'm not really sure what makes these guitars from Dave's to be distinguished as "American 1962 Reissue"?

Unless I could move some of my big ticket items on Reverb, there's no chance of me getting one of these in any case. Honestly, I'm more drawn to the Oly White Vintera (even with the poly finish) or the American Original '60s models for less cost.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:03 pm

I have one of the fiesta red ones from Dave's. It almost borderline Tahitian coral in certain lighting (which I'm fine with, as I dig both colors). I'd prefer the neck to be a bit beefier. I had them pick out the one with the fattest neck out of the 11 or 12 they had at the time. It's a cool guitar. I had mine set up with 13's, a Mastery bridge, Lollar pickups, and a Spitfire guard. Here's a few pics (the lighting is a bit off due to the cloudy weather). The pickguard is quite a bit more yellow/orangish than in than the pics show. I wanted something a bit different.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:27 pm

The Spitfire on that isn’t my personal taste, but that is an awesome looking guitar.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:50 pm

Meriphew wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:03 pm
I have one of the fiesta red ones from Dave's. It almost borderline Tahitian coral in certain lighting (which I'm fine with, as I dig both colors). I'd prefer the neck to be a bit beefier. I had them pick out the one with the fattest neck out of the 11 or 12 they had at the time. It's a cool guitar. I had mine set up with 13's, a Mastery bridge, Lollar pickups, and a Spitfire guard. Here's a few pics (the lighting is a bit off due to the cloudy weather). The pickguard is quite a bit more yellow/orangish than in than the pics show. I wanted something a bit different.

I dig it! It's a beautiful JM and the fiesta red is the one I've been watching. The neck sounds like it's more of a "Modern C"/now called "C-shape", which would actually be appropriate for a '62 Reissue JM. Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me as I prefer the chunkier "mid-60s C" as on the '60s VIntera or American Original 60's JM.

I've got a Faded Orange, Crazy 60s Mustang pickguard that I've had on two of my vintage white Squier Vintage Modified Mustangs. I sold the first guitar (took off the Spitfire guard and put it on a later purchased Squier VM Mustang (vintage white) replacement), then recently sold the second vintage white Mustang (again, hanging on to the Spitfire guard). Here it is on the first of my two Squier VM Mustangs.

I sent Mark (Spitfire) this photo after getting the guard and he put the photo in his gallery.

I've got a fiesta red Squier VM Mustang coming next week that I'll put the Spitfire guard on and I imagine it will look similar to your JM...except orangier. 8)

I've been on a bit of a fiesta red obsession lately - I've got the Vintera 50's fiesta red Tele (love it!) and the incoming Squier VM Mustang. I might still get the Squier Paranormal Cabronita Thinline but I know I'll have to get a chunkier neck for it.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:02 pm

I've inquired about 3 Guitars over the past couple years... One was a couple days ago.. He isn't too good at updating his website as they were all Sold...

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:27 pm
The Spitfire on that isn’t my personal taste, but that is an awesome looking guitar.
Thx! Yeah - the pickguard is def a bit different. I specifically wanted something unusual though. I have a more traditional Spitfire guard on one of my Marr Jags.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:50 pm
I dig it! It's a beautiful JM and the fiesta red is the one I've been watching. The neck sounds like it's more of a "Modern C"/now called "C-shape", which would actually be appropriate for a '62 Reissue JM. Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me as I prefer the chunkier "mid-60s C" as on the '60s VIntera or American Original 60's JM.

I've got a Faded Orange, Crazy 60s Mustang pickguard that I've had on two of my vintage white Squier Vintage Modified Mustangs. I sold the first guitar (took off the Spitfire guard and put it on a later purchased Squier VM Mustang (vintage white) replacement), then recently sold the second vintage white Mustang (again, hanging on to the Spitfire guard). Here it is on the first of my two Squier VM Mustangs.

I sent Mark (Spitfire) this photo after getting the guard and he put the photo in his gallery.

I've got a fiesta red Squier VM Mustang coming next week that I'll put the Spitfire guard on and I imagine it will look similar to your JM...except orangier. 8)

I've been on a bit of a fiesta red obsession lately - I've got the Vintera 50's fiesta red Tele (love it!) and the incoming Squier VM Mustang. I might still get the Squier Paranormal Cabronita Thinline but I know I'll have to get a chunkier neck for it.
Thx! I love the look of the orange guard on that Mustang.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 am

Thanks! The Spitfire Faded Orange looks killer on Olympic White, too. I recently posted these in the mod section - here's my Fender American Original '60s Precision bass:

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:29 am

Nice!
Surfysonic wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 am
Thanks! The Spitfire Faded Orange looks killer on Olympic White, too. I recently posted these in the mod section - here's my Fender American Original '60s Precision bass:

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:12 am

I really dig that fiesta red JM. I’m the type of player who wants vintage accurate looks but a slightly more modern neck radius. I think a lot of other players will agree based on how obsessive people are over the rest of the thin skin line.

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:39 pm

RIORIO wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:12 am
I really dig that fiesta red JM. I’m the type of player who wants vintage accurate looks but a slightly more modern neck radius. I think a lot of other players will agree based on how obsessive people are over the rest of the thin skin line.
That describes pretty well who these are intended to appeal to, and I think this JM delivers. My daughter has the surf green version. The neck is less like the old ‘62 AVRI and seems more similar to the ‘07+ TS run. When comparing it back-to-back with my TS AV65 JM, the neck feels slimmer and pickups not quite as bright. It’s a well made, great looking and playing JM. (Pic shows an old AVRI bridge of mine, but these come with the newer Mustang style bridge which are a bit better IMO).

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am

pscates wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:41 am
Apologies in advance for the slightly off-topic squawking...

I cannot get my head around how they tout all the "vintage" features/aspects (matching headstock, nitro finish, 60's shaped neck, pickups, tremolo, tuners), and then go with the 9.5" radius. Wouldn't the type of person truly interested in such a model, with all the other features being period-accurate, want/expect a 7.25" on such a guitar? Is that not part of the whole experience? Fender currently offers plenty of modern Jazzmasters with 9.5" necks...that's their nod to modern tastes/preferences. Why do they feel the need to go and monkey with the vintage-styled models in that way?

So why not leave the vintage-style models accurate on that front?! Who, exactly, are they trying to appeal to? The vintage fan/player who somehow can't deal with that one spec? Come on. How many of those could there be?

Even the Vintera line goes with 7.25" necks, but not the high-dollar US made stuff like this model. Maybe at least offer the option? But even that's goofy...how about anything with "1962" as part of its name just come with the right, expected type of neck radius...and let the American Professional, American Original, American Ultra, Player, American Performer and Vintera Modified (six models!), plus the various Squier offerings, carry the 9.5" (or 10-14" compound radius, in the case of the American Ultra) banner? Is that so hard?

It's a beautiful Jazzmaster, but if I'm going to lay out $2K for something like this, it had better be everything I prefer. And, sadly, this isn't. And the fact that it should just makes it that much more aggravating. :P
You're just missing the point of the model. The Dave's special run Jazzmasters are sort of the same idea as the Thin Skins from WIldwood. They're factory special runs ordered by the shop (if a shop is big enough Fender will do an FSR to spec for you.)

The entire point of both of these runs are to get a standard factory model with upgraded specs for those who want them (a LOT of people don't like 7.25'' necks and tiny frets), so these are Fender's normal '62 AVRI guitars but with flatter necks, bigger frets, and matching headstocks. Wildwood did the same thing with the '65 Jazzmasters - they're basically the normal Fender '65 reissue but with bigger frets, flatter necks, and matching headstocks.

I personally bought a '65 Thin Skin specifically because I loved the look of the '65 Jazzmasters, and how accurate they were, but I also happen to hate 7.25'' radius and tiny frets. It's the perfect guitar for me, and the matching headstock is a cherry on top.

If you want the true "vintage" reissue, just buy the standard model.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:30 am

For further clarity, Dave's has been offering these since the days of the '62 reissue. It isn't a standard Fender model. They just kept offering them once Fender discontinued the '62 model, presumably because people like them and want them.

I tried to edit my post but hit the wrong button. Whoops.