Offset Bridges

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
macdog
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Offset Bridges

Post by macdog » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:47 pm

Did anyone else see this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viES3qFHnIA&t=0s

Thoughts?

augur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset Bridges

Post by augur » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 am

Yes I've seen it, and this is a great comparison !

I've been using a Mastery Bridge on a JM AVRI 62, and it works great.
However I didn't compare it side by side with original bridge.

I agree with him regarding RSD bridge (fender custom shop) which looks nice.
It seems to be on the birghtest side, but also sounds more articulated than a mustang/staytrem bridge.
I like it.
I have one of the new JM I purchased 1 month ago from custom shop and would change.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 am

I did an unscientific test by listening to this without my eyes. I noted times that the sounds appealed to me and also when I thought the tones were lacking. I then went back and listened to the bridges again. correlating the timestamps with the bridges.

To me, the standard Mustang bridge drop-in came twice made an appearance for sounding not unpleasant, but also not as rich or appealing. The Halon sounded stiff to my ears at least once, according to my timestamps.

The Staytrem and RSD both made the unscientific 'good' list a couple of times.

There was nothing that sounded 'bad', but some stood out in both good and bad ways for me, but none enough to say, "I woudn't use that."

Like I said, not exactly scientific, but I was trying to get as much bias out of my assessment as possible.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 am

I've put Mastery Bridges on most of my offsets. I'd love to see Fender make that offset RSD bridge available for purchase though. They could really make some money if they did.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:16 am

The Staytrem bridge is the one I always go back to. I've tried the Mastery a couple of times and I just don't get the hype. They're nice quality, and in some instances can improve sustain, but I find that they end up having a lot of the same problems that the original bridge does. Weird ringing and rattling, adjustment screws coming loose, and I find that they negatively impact the feel of the vibrato.

A Staytrem bridge plus a proper setup sounds, feels, and looks the best with the least amount of issues in my experience.

Edit: That was a great video though, well done and the guy knows his stuff.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 am

I also did a very unscientific test, I was surprised at how much I liked the Mustang bridge and disliked the Mastery with clean tones. Funnily enough, I thought the Mastery sounded best when it came to overdrive. I would also agree that I would probably be happy with all of them though. This video definitely made me feel better about the Stang bridge I have on my Jag, what with the Staytrem being unavailable out of the UK
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:55 am

That was a very well made video.

To my ears the vintage bridge sounded a bit thinner, but i found it very hard to differentiate between the others. I suspect that picking dynamics would be an order of magnitude more influential.

What would also be interesting would be to compare the sustain with each bridge.