First Jazzmaster- The Ventures MIJ, TVL or ... ?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Boostinator
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

First Jazzmaster- The Ventures MIJ, TVL or ... ?

Post by Boostinator » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 am

Hope you are all doing well during these turbulent times.

These past few months, I have started to realize that my guitar collection is lacking a Jazzmaster and I would like to change that in the near future. I would mostly use this guitar for those typical shoegaze/dreampop sounds which I find a little harder to realize with my humbucker guitars.

I am aware that there are other things to consider beside looks, but I am really partial towards guitars with block inlays. Ideally, I would love to own a jazzmaster with those looks.

Based on my own (but limited) research, I have currently narrowed it down to the 'The Ventures 1996 Jazzmaster Limited Edition' or the Troy Van Leeuwen signature model. The TVL seems to be praised on this forum, but there is not that much information on the Ventures Special Edition.

I love the general look of the Ventures model, but absolutely hate the white pickguard. Moreover, it is lacking the classic jazzmaster rhythm circuit and the pickguard has a different shape because of this (which I like less). If I would want to change the pickguard for a black one, I guess I will need to make it from scratch. I am also not sure about the hardware and Seymour Duncan pickups this model comes with. I can buy it from a friend for around 400 more than a second hand TVL.

On the other hand, I also really like the look of the TVL and appreciate that it has a more traditional approach to the jazzmaster model. The only thing I am not sure of is the color. One day I seem to love it, the other day I seem to doubt it. For the 400 this would costs me less, I could upgrade to a Mastery bridge and even consider a refinish if I ever grow tired of the color. I saw a refinish on this forum and that TVL looked absolutely amazing.

So, I guess I want to ask whether some of you could give their two cents on what to do? Are there other models to consider? Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks so much!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First Jazzmaster- The Ventures MIJ, TVL or ... ?

Post by Embenny » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 pm

The Ventures model is a limited edition guitar nearly 25 years old. I wouldn't buy one with plans to do any modding.

If you don't like the TVL's colour, why not get a 60th anniversary JM? Those come in nultiple colours.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.