Watching the sausage get made

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Frybot
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Watching the sausage get made

Post by Frybot » Thu May 28, 2020 5:13 pm

I've been a long time lurker that just now got my old email/login back.

Thank you all for your insight into the wonderful world of guitars. The wealth of knowledge has been an amazing resource.

I'm posting because I am currently watching an Andertons (blah) video of a tour of the Fender Custom Shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDOdXEL3Jw

I know, we (the royal we) guitar players have a lot of different and similar views, and I would like to know how the forumites feel about this video.

Personally, I enjoy seeing the process Fender goes through to make a Custom Shop guitar. Watching machines Leo Fender, himself bought make guitar parts is cool. On the other hand, I see a lot of what regular posters say about the process/mysticism. They are not 100% hand made guitars. Nor should they be, due to the assembly line that Fender put into play way back in the day. Fender was a brand for working musicians.

I bought my AV'65 Jazzmaster due to the input of this site. A great playing / made guitar created by American workers. I paid the premium price to support the people I watch in this video. My guitar isn't a Custom Shop, but I can't believe the guy punching out neck plates is a different person punching them out for the American made series. I also can't believe that people laying frets in Mexico or China is a whole different process than they do in California., outside of pay/government issues The woman sanding a CNC blank is not the same as a hand carved body. The attention to detail for shipping out a product is the difference.

Quality over Quantity at its best.

The thing that worries me the most about the video, is the shot of the paint shop at the end. Way to many boring colors compared to us niche fans' choices. Texas Tea might be a hot color right now, but I think a blue would outsell that in a heartbeat.

If anything, I'm just drinking on the coast, unable to talk to regular guitar playing friends, hoping the storm tonight doesn't weather my Jazzmaster more than the coastal air has already.

Thanks for reading.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Watching the sausage get made

Post by postchrist » Fri May 29, 2020 12:48 am

just popping in to say i like your writing style a lot. enjoy drinks and(i assume) a pretty view.

best!
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am

These are interesting videos you may enjoy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8
You may recognize a young Ybarra winding pickups, she became famous later as a Custom Shop pickup winder and a few modern video interviews exist with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiBT_1C0lxc

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri May 29, 2020 5:18 am

Really cool video. The worst part is the Andertons guy... I find both of them to be incredibly annoying. But still a cool look into the factory.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Fri May 29, 2020 11:31 am

I really enjoyed that G&L tour video. I find Lee Anderton tolerable when he's being a nerdy fanboy and not trying to sell anything.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".