My quarantine condondrum: Finding an all black JM with matching headstock, nitro.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

My quarantine condondrum: Finding an all black JM with matching headstock, nitro.

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Wed May 13, 2020 8:48 pm

Like the title says, my quarantine obsession has been tracking down an all-black Jazzmaster with matching headstock, nitro finish.

There's the 60th-anniversary model, but I've read the components are crap and would need to be upgraded. Also, I can't get down with the Pau Ferro, bound/block neck. It just looks cheap.

There's Nash, Danocaster, and Creston. All pretty pricey. I'm not into the look of Kirn, K-line Mario Martin. Electravox does gorgeous work, but wouldn't use the parts I wanted.

I was going to go the partscaster route: Guitar Mill body, Sound Guitar Works neck, but it'll take ages. Between the neck and the nitro, I won't have the guitar until September. There's good ol' Warmoth, but at that point, I'm better off going to the Fender Mod Shop.

The mod shop seems solid, and they have black headstocks, but they don't do nitro. Nitro aside, I could get an American made guitar within a month.

Thoughts? Have I just gone insane with quarantine madness?

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My quarantine condondrum: Finding an all black JM with matching headstock, nitro.

Post by timiscott » Thu May 14, 2020 1:28 am

I think your info on the Anniversary model is wrong. Bought an AV65 but I would have got one of those instead if they did a colour I was keen on. Basically, it's a Mexican-assembled US model as far as I know.

Kyon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My quarantine condondrum: Finding an all black JM with matching headstock, nitro.

Post by Kyon » Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm

60th anniversary components seem fine to me, I think it's only really the tremolo itself being one of the cheaper non locking imports but with a good setup it's held up as a daily gigging guitar well enough. I've never found a need to replace it.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm

Pau Ferro can be somewhat darkened using oil and wood stain. I think several members on here have had good success with that.
The 60th Anniversary seems like too close to what you want to disregard it if you don't want to pay custom shop money.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 am

At some point, hopefully in a mere few months, I will post an NGD that will knock your socks off. (Been trying to get this thing made since Fall 2018!)

My opinion is for you to get what you want, somehow.

Dan Izen
hamletpowpowpow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:48 pm
Like the title says, my quarantine obsession has been tracking down an all-black Jazzmaster with matching headstock, nitro finish.

There's the 60th-anniversary model, but I've read the components are crap and would need to be upgraded. Also, I can't get down with the Pau Ferro, bound/block neck. It just looks cheap.

There's Nash, Danocaster, and Creston. All pretty pricey. I'm not into the look of Kirn, K-line Mario Martin. Electravox does gorgeous work, but wouldn't use the parts I wanted.

I was going to go the partscaster route: Guitar Mill body, Sound Guitar Works neck, but it'll take ages. Between the neck and the nitro, I won't have the guitar until September. There's good ol' Warmoth, but at that point, I'm better off going to the Fender Mod Shop.

The mod shop seems solid, and they have black headstocks, but they don't do nitro. Nitro aside, I could get an American made guitar within a month.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am

How about just buying a black JM and having the headstock sprayed?

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm

You might want to find one of the Custom Shop '64 reissues they made in 2014. They did a run of these in black with matching headstock. I've seen some for sale on reverb used in the $2500-$2900 range.

hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am

Definitely leaning in that direction, although you'd be surprised how hard it is to find someone who can do that.

I'm kind mildly inclined to just do the Mod Shop - the specs on those are pretty great, I like the neck shape, treble bleed. I'd just really prefer nitro and the standard JM electronic setup.

Meriphew wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am
How about just buying a black JM and having the headstock sprayed?
This is a new one - hadn't heard of this option, will definitely check it out!
sunburster wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm
You might want to find one of the Custom Shop '64 reissues they made in 2014. They did a run of these in black with matching headstock. I've seen some for sale on reverb used in the $2500-$2900 range.
Do tell, please! How/what/when/where etc etc??
DeathJag wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 am
At some point, hopefully in a mere few months, I will post an NGD that will knock your socks off. (Been trying to get this thing made since Fall 2018!)

My opinion is for you to get what you want, somehow.

hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 am

I've read a few reviews online, here and elsewhere talking about the overall mediocrity of the 60th anniversary. Apparently the fretwork and neck is kinda janky, as are hardware, and electronics.

And I just can't get down with the blocks and binding, especially on those models. They just look plasticky and cheap, IMHO.

It just doesn't seem worth getting, only to swap everything out. I've missed out a bunch of great black AVRIs on Reverb and I'm kicking myself. One guy swapped out the neck for the professional, which I'd be totally down for...probably just get the headstock sprayed.
Ceylon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm
Pau Ferro can be somewhat darkened using oil and wood stain. I think several members on here have had good success with that.
The 60th Anniversary seems like too close to what you want to disregard it if you don't want to pay custom shop money.
Kyon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm
60th anniversary components seem fine to me, I think it's only really the tremolo itself being one of the cheaper non locking imports but with a good setup it's held up as a daily gigging guitar well enough. I've never found a need to replace it.
timiscott wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:28 am
I think your info on the Anniversary model is wrong. Bought an AV65 but I would have got one of those instead if they did a colour I was keen on. Basically, it's a Mexican-assembled US model as far as I know.

hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Sun May 17, 2020 11:29 am

Goddamn, this is exactly what I'm after. Specs are perfect...9.5 radius, everything. I'd just need to swap out the pickguard.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... 2/26911199
sunburster wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Sun May 17, 2020 1:19 pm

hamletpowpowpow wrote:

Haha I'm sure some of it is madness but hey, we're human. In my experience if you don't get exactly what you want you'll still have that itch, and if the guitar you compromise with meets it 90% of the way but doesn't feel right you'll be inclined to blame it on not being 100%. Easier to move on if you're able to get the one you want from the get go. Hope one pops up for you soon.

hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 am

This is the most logical thing I've heard in a minute. Did my wife pay you to say this???
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:19 pm
hamletpowpowpow wrote:

Haha I'm sure some of it is madness but hey, we're human. In my experience if you don't get exactly what you want you'll still have that itch, and if the guitar you compromise with meets it 90% of the way but doesn't feel right you'll be inclined to blame it on not being 100%. Easier to move on if you're able to get the one you want from the get go. Hope one pops up for you soon.

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am

hamletpowpowpow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 am
This is the most logical thing I've heard in a minute. Did my wife pay you to say this???
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:19 pm
hamletpowpowpow wrote:

Haha, experience has! Better to be patient now than regretful later.