Fender Jazzmaster Japan 66 reissue or 60th anniversary Mexico

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jazzmaster Japan 66 reissue or 60th anniversary Mexico

Post by dirty_frank13 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:55 am

Hallo. I am new here. I always liked Jazzmasters. I had one mij and unfortunately I sold it.Terrible mistake Now I want to replace it. I am between in these two. The Japanese used the other new.Really I will appreciate your help. if you exclude The fact that the Mexican has this pau Ferro neck the black color with matching headstock is very nice. What you suggest?

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jazzmaster Japan 66 reissue or 60th anniversary Mexico

Post by manwithtitties » Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am

60th anniv, mainly because of looks. The black and blue versions look incredible.

Also they were a fairly limited run compared to the mij. Also good pickups, unlike the japanese.

dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirty_frank13 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Thank you for your reply. The truth is that the black color with matching headstock looking really awesome.Also from the video I have seen in YouTube i like how the guitar sounds. Except if I go to mij (Olympic white)and change the pickups and the wiring.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Thu May 07, 2020 6:30 am

im kinda biased, but i wouldnt even bother going for a japanese one if its a common color like white, unless the upgrades are already present. for the rare colors, matching headstocks, or blocks id understand for sure, but there isnt such a huge difference between the nicer squiers.

If we’re comparing the VM’s against the mij/cij: both have mediocre electronics, trems, kind of ugly tort guards compared to the american ones, annoying bridges and both tend to need a neck shim. They differ in neck radius, and the squiers have way better pickups. the newer CVs have a better bridge and better looking pickguard too imo.

Basically, if you have the money, get the really cool looking limited edition version. otherwise just get the squier, get it set up really well, and you’ll have something nicer for a lot less imo.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 am

I have the 60th Anniversary and it is indeed a great guitar. I'm pretty sure the stock pickups in it are the Fender AV65, same as the ones in the American Original which is double the price of the 60th anniversary. I have both guitars and if there is a difference in sound I can't tell. I prefer the AO just because the neck on it is a little nicer (Rosewood not Pau Ferro)...but other than that they play really well. FWIW I have a CIJ Jazzmaster that had updated pickups and electronics but I paid way less for it and I still prefer the 60th over it.

*also as mentioned above if you want to replace the pickguard on a Japanese offset you're basically stuck with whatever you can find as the typical Fender made ones that work on American or Mexican guitars and even work on Squiers for say the VM or JMJM will not fit on a MIJ/CIJ guitar because of screw hole misalignment....I know, I hate the pickguard on my CIJ and have never found a decent replacement..def not good looking tort

dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirty_frank13 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you both for your reply :). I will go with 60 aniv.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Sat May 09, 2020 8:51 am

My 0.02€:

MIJ has great feeling craftsmanship. I've got a MIJ neck on an MIA body (Jazzmaster) and it rules.
I've owned one of those limited run Blue Flower Jazzmasters and the hardware was terrible. I have never had any good experience with MIJ/CIJ vibratos whatsoever. I used to own a Classic Lacquer 60's Jaguar and that vibrato, even if it lacked the lock button, was actually pretty good.

If I'd ever get a MIJ Jazzmaster then not only would the bridge hafta go for a Staytrem, but the vibrato too, and also dem Strat pickups, haha.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 pm

algeriet wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:51 am
My 0.02€:

MIJ has great feeling craftsmanship. I've got a MIJ neck on an MIA body (Jazzmaster) and it rules.
I've owned one of those limited run Blue Flower Jazzmasters and the hardware was terrible. I have never had any good experience with MIJ/CIJ vibratos whatsoever. I used to own a Classic Lacquer 60's Jaguar and that vibrato, even if it lacked the lock button, was actually pretty good.

If I'd ever get a MIJ Jazzmaster then not only would the bridge hafta go for a Staytrem, but the vibrato too, and also dem Strat pickups, haha.
Funny, I have one of the floral Jazzmasters and find no problems at all with the hardware/trem...I also have a Thinskin and Ame. Pro JM for reference sake.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 am

BlueMelody wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 pm
Funny, I have one of the floral Jazzmasters and find no problems at all with the hardware/trem...I also have a Thinskin and Ame. Pro JM for reference sake.
Funny indeed! I've got an AV65 and the aforementioned MIJ/MIA guitar has got an AO60's body and hardware. Happy it works for ya nonetheless.

dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirty_frank13 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 am

Does anyone knows what pots have the 60th anniversary?

dirty_frank13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirty_frank13 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:10 am

I mean if is Cts or anything else

mary-christ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mary-christ » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am

About ten years ago, I’d say MIJ. But Mexican Fenders have superseded the quality of japanese Fenders from what I can tell, and they tend to use more accurate dimensions (imperial vs metric). That 60th anniversary should be on par with an MIA once you upgrade the trem.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:23 pm

mary-christ wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am
About ten years ago, I’d say MIJ. But Mexican Fenders have superseded the quality of japanese Fenders from what I can tell, and they tend to use more accurate dimensions (imperial vs metric). That 60th anniversary should be on par with an MIA once you upgrade the trem.
I totally agree with the above. I've been playing Jazzmaster since the early 2000's and I recently bought a MIM Vintera Jazzmaster (IBM) and I simply adore it... I owned about half a dozen MIJ/CIJ Jazzmaster, but none of them come close to the Vintera JM in sound or playability imho...
They are on par with MIA from my expirience. Mine sounds much more lively then any Japanese JM I owned or played.

I always didn't like the fact that the stock Pu's in a MIJ or CIJ JM (or Jag) are not really good (to put it mildly) So a PU upgrade is a kind on needed on these (although I don't know if they still come with these bland pu's nowadays) Also I've never been fond on the Japanese trem system either. It's just to flimsy imho.

I have no idea what the going rate for a new CIJ 66 RI is these days, but I paid less for my Vintera JM new then what I paid in 2002 for a new CIJ "62 Jazzmaster...