Squier Jazzmasters. To buy or not to buy.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Ben_m
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Jazzmasters. To buy or not to buy.

Post by Ben_m » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:03 am
The JMJM is a much better choice.. They require a serious Setup as do every Indonesian Squier I've played.
I think the pre-2019 jmjm (and the JM deluxe, which is basically the same guitar in CAR) were made by Grand Reward in China (CGS serials; same as the old Classic Vibe line and some Chinese-built Fenders); since 2019, jmjm is made by Yako in China (CY serial), where they also make Gretsch Electromatics/Streamliners.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Squier VMJMs are good guitars for their price.. sometimes you have to adjust the setup a bit especially if you buy them online and they get shipped in a box in the cold... and if you want a more vintage tone you probably have to get other pickups - the stock ones are a bit hot.. apart from that nothings wrong with them.. the neck is quite thin - I have small hands and I love it. the 60s lacquer is a better guitar of course with better hardware etc - you get what you pay for of course.. still the VMJM is not a bad guitar at all.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 am

I think that that emphasis on price is a bit misleading. I've got an AV65, an MIJ and a Squier Mascis (albeit with PV65 pups) and I really don't think there's that much in it in terms of the things that matter i.e. feel and sound. Obviously finish and build quality are related to price but I think the JM JM more than holds its own when it comes to what matters.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:32 am

I got a VMJM in late 2014, and I'm pretty sure it has a rosewood board? At least that's what the squier page says if i look at it in the wayback machine from around that time. Which is a shame because I hate the skunk stripe enough to want to install a mexi neck. I've upgraded the electronics and pickups and love it. I've tried the JMJMs in shops but for some reason never thought the neck felt as great as everyone says they are. I guess that means I like glossy necks and not satin ones?

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zenarcade » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 am

I have an Affinity. It is a hardtail which I really like and came with two humbuckers but I routed it for 2 Jazzmaster single coils and got a custom pickguard made. For 180 Euros new the Affinitys are almost a steal. Plus the necks are very "fast". Mine has still a rosewood board.