Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Vs Fender Vintera Mustang Vs American performer Mustang

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Vs Fender Vintera Mustang Vs American performer Mustang

Post by pikmin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:56 am

Hi guys , I’m gasing for a Mustang...
There are not many reviews on the 3 new models Fender released in the past year : The Squier Classic Vibe Mustang , the Fender Vintera Mustang and the Fender American Performer Mustang .

Who has got one of these Guitars ?
What do you think about it .
How do they compare to each other ( not the kind of Wood , I already Know that and I already have guitars with Laurel , Pau Ferro and rosewood fretboards, I Know the difference ).

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Vs Fender Vintera Mustang Vs American performer Mustang

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:15 am

The American Perfomer is the best one in my opinion. It plays really well and sounds really good and lively. The vibrato is reinforced and you can set it up to be sensitive enough that you don't even need to use the vibrato arm, just lean your wrist on it or drag your arm across it. It even works really well with .9s, which is tricky to do with a Stang.

I honestly can't think of another Mustang I've ever enjoyed playing as much as my buddy's well set up Am Performer Mustang. For the record, I've owned quite a few Mustangs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang Vs Fender Vintera Mustang Vs American performer Mustang

Post by pikmin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:21 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:15 am
The American Perfomer is the best one in my opinion. It plays really well and sounds really good and lively. The vibrato is reinforced and you can set it up to be sensitive enough that you don't even need to use the vibrato arm, just lean your wrist on it or drag your arm across it. It even works really well with .9s, which is tricky to do with a Stang.

I honestly can't think of another Mustang I've ever enjoyed playing as much as my buddy's well set up Am Performer Mustang. For the record, I've owned quite a few Mustangs.
Good to know ...
I’d love to try one but they are not available in the shops around me ...

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Only one I’ve played of these three was the Classic Vibe and it was on par with the 65 MIJ reissue I had, at least in the little bit of time I spent with it. I’m sure the screws aren’t as good and stuff slips here and there but for the $300 or whatever they cost new, I can’t imagine spending double, and then some even, to get something different. The Tremolo on these guitars is notoriously fickle even on the best examples, so if it’s me I’d be looking for a used Classic Vibe, or better yet, a used Vintage Modified, and be done with it and happy at all the money I saved.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm
Only one I’ve played of these three was the Classic Vibe and it was on par with the 65 MIJ reissue I had, at least in the little bit of time I spent with it. I’m sure the screws aren’t as good and stuff slips here and there but for the $300 or whatever they cost new, I can’t imagine spending double, and then some even, to get something different. The Tremolo on these guitars is notoriously fickle even on the best examples, so if it’s me I’d be looking for a used Classic Vibe, or better yet, a used Vintage Modified, and be done with it and happy at all the money I saved.
I wouldn't advise against the American Performer if you haven't tried it. I own a Classic Vibe Mustang, and while it is a nice solid guitar, it's leaps and bounds away from the American Performer in stability and feel.
The American Performer Mustang is US made and there is a large difference between it and the Classic Vibe. I've owned a 65 reissue and a vintage Mustang and the American Performer puts both to shame. The reinforced vibrato is really something that needs to be played to appreciate. There's a very noticeable difference in how it moves and feels compared to the standard unit.
I'm not exaggerating when I say it's the best version of the Mustang I've ever laid hands on. I fully intend to get one myself when I can swing the 1000 bucks it costs.
The classic vibe/vintage modified Squier feels like a toy in comparison.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonnyrocket » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:00 pm

Would you say that a Squier Classic Vibe with the vibrato from the American Performer be very close in feel to the American Performe?

I have a vibrato from the American Pro and currently am planing on installing it on a Cobain Mustang but I might sell the Cobain and get a Classic Vibe. Installing this vibrato does require the body to be routed for it to fit.

cheers,
Jon
BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:01 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
I wouldn't advise against the American Performer if you haven't tried it. I own a Classic Vibe Mustang, and while it is a nice solid guitar, it's leaps and bounds away from the American Performer in stability and feel.
The American Performer Mustang is US made and there is a large difference between it and the Classic Vibe. I've owned a 65 reissue and a vintage Mustang and the American Performer puts both to shame. The reinforced vibrato is really something that needs to be played to appreciate. There's a very noticeable difference in how it moves and feels compared to the standard unit.
I'm not exaggerating when I say it's the best version of the Mustang I've ever laid hands on. I fully intend to get one myself when I can swing the 1000 bucks it costs.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:49 am

I had the Vintage Modified for a bit, and while it sounded pretty nice, it did feel like a toy. The Classic Vibe is probably going to be more or less the same as I think it's the same factory building them to somewhat different specifications, so if you want a nice-playing Mustang and you can afford to go higher, I would. I have a Vintera Jaguar and the workmanship and feel are flawless, for what that's worth. I'd imagine the same amount of care goes into building the Mustangs.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonnyrocket » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:14 am

Ceylon wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:49 am
I had the Vintage Modified for a bit, and while it sounded pretty nice, it did feel like a toy. The Classic Vibe is probably going to be more or less the same as I think it's the same factory building them to somewhat different specifications, so if you want a nice-playing Mustang and you can afford to go higher, I would. I have a Vintera Jaguar and the workmanship and feel are flawless, for what that's worth. I'd imagine the same amount of care goes into building the Mustangs.
Thanks Ceylon, I appreciate your insight. That is what I am concerned about. I did find one for $250 local so I am picking it up sometime on the weekend. It will be interesting comparing it to the Cobain mustang that I have. Granted, both are very different since the Cobain has a TOM, vintage frets and 7.25 radius neck. I am hoping to install the vibrato from the American Performer in whichever of the two I end up keeping so I'm excited about the added stability that this vibrato should bring.

I think I know what you mean by a toy guitar. I had a Mexican made Fender Duo Sonic from the 90's and it did felt kind of like a toy. Not because of the shorter scale but because of the quality. I think the fingerboard specially felt cheap. Back then though I had barely any tools for setups and didn't know much about improving the playability of guitars. So i'm curious to see how much better I can get this Squier Mustang to play!

The Cobain has been a pain in the but because the vibrato plus the TOM has been terrible if you want a floating trem. I think that in addition to the TOM, the vibrato plate that came with the guitar is worn out so the pivots don't move as freely as they should even though I added countersinks to the holes.

Anyways, I'm excited to try this Squier Mustang and I'll report back my thoughts after several weeks.

Thanks again!
Jon

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:15 am

I agree it’s the best one to come along in a long time.. Maybe of all time..

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:25 am

jonnyrocket wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:14 am
Ceylon wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:49 am
Thanks Ceylon, I appreciate your insight. That is what I am concerned about. I did find one for $250 local so I am picking it up sometime on the weekend. It will be interesting comparing it to the Cobain mustang that I have. Granted, both are very different since the Cobain has a TOM, vintage frets and 7.25 radius neck. I am hoping to install the vibrato from the American Performer in whichever of the two I end up keeping so I'm excited about the added stability that this vibrato should bring.

I think I know what you mean by a toy guitar. I had a Mexican made Fender Duo Sonic from the 90's and it did felt kind of like a toy. Not because of the shorter scale but because of the quality. I think the fingerboard specially felt cheap. Back then though I had barely any tools for setups and didn't know much about improving the playability of guitars. So i'm curious to see how much better I can get this Squier Mustang to play!

The Cobain has been a pain in the but because the vibrato plus the TOM has been terrible if you want a floating trem. I think that in addition to the TOM, the vibrato plate that came with the guitar is worn out so the pivots don't move as freely as they should even though I added countersinks to the holes.

Anyways, I'm excited to try this Squier Mustang and I'll report back my thoughts after several weeks.

Thanks again!
Jon
Well, for 250$ I don't think you can go wrong honestly, it's worth it just to try it out.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:17 pm

I played a Vintera Mustang and it was very, very nice. I really liked the neck and the LPB looks beautiful. I wasn't crazy about the stark white tuning pegs but whatever.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:19 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mechanical Birds wrote:
DUDE every time you talk about the Performer Mustang I GET SERIOUS GAS JUST STOP MAN JUST STOP. Penny looks outstanding and I'm really curious about this satin Sonic Blue.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 am

The sonic blue one looks really nice. Not a huge fan of jumbo frets though and it's a shame they removed the traditional switching options.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:36 am

BearBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:34 am
... it's a shame they removed the traditional switching options.
I forgot about that. Dammit, Fender!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:23 am

patski wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:19 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Mechanical Birds wrote:
I agree 100% The American Performer is a serious Professional Grade USA Guitar.. There really is no comparison between it & the OP’s other choices...