Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:45 am

Ron Thorn wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 pm
As mentioned, the 2 screws per saddle are loosened allowing the saddle to slide forward, back, and slightly angled, for intonation - then retightened.
The overall height is adjusted via set screws down each post like normal.

Here’s what’s not obvious: The “bridge” radius is matched to the fretboard radius in the machined string grooves.
The chrome portion is the same for all of them, the string grooves in the saddles are custom machined to match the board.

It is designed to rock in the thimbles unless a bushing is inserted also.

Hope that helps set the record straight on it’s design. I love it!

Cheers,
Ron
Thanks Ron!

For anyone who doesn't know, Ron works with the Fender Custom Shop at least from time to time, as well as does his own guitar design.

So there is no need to speculate any further. This is the answer.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:45 am
Ron Thorn wrote:
As mentioned, the 2 screws per saddle are loosened allowing the saddle to slide forward, back, and slightly angled, for intonation - then retightened.

Here’s what’s not obvious: The “bridge” radius is matched to the fretboard radius in the machined string grooves.
The chrome portion is the same for all of them, the string grooves in the saddles are custom machined to match the board.

Cheers,
Ron
Thanks Ron!

For anyone who doesn't know, Ron works with the Fender Custom Shop at least from time to time, as well as does his own guitar design.

So there is no need to speculate any further. This is the answer.
I'm surprised nobody figured it out prior to Ron's post. I feel stunned for not realizing it myself.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:58 am

I think the information had been provided but it wasn't as conclusive as it is after Ron's answer.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Love Ron!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Ron Thorn wrote:

Cheers,
Ron
As someone who plays mostly Telecasters, my first reaction was, "brilliant!" I've got a Mastery on my ECJM and the stock Johnny Marr bridge on my Jag, and I'd be tempted to swap both of them out, if this were available as an aftermarket part. Is it because of the custom machining on the grooves, these aren't available?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 am

They're not available because they're too ugly to sell at the kind of price that they'd require. When they first came out, there was some information that the CS makes them in house by hand. So there's the expense, the planned exclusivity, the labor that goes into it having CS bona fides... I'm guessing it'd be a $500 bridge, easily, and for that kind of money you can buy an AMC Gremlin. Which besides being drivable, looks better than that CS bridge does even rusted full of holes.
This is an excellent rectangle

El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pelo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pm
Ron Thorn wrote:

Cheers,
Ron
I concur!
And btw I measured the radius on the strings as they come out, just in front of the saddles, not of the saddle themselves, because as you described, the cuts into the saddles is what determine the radius.
Thanks, Ron! I had no idea.

This bridge came off a CS Jazzmaster with a 9.5 radius. I'll be sure to measure the strings instead of the bridge ;D

ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ek11sx » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:25 am

Ron Thorn wrote:

Cheers,
Ron
Let me know if you are able to make these available separably from a full of custom shop guitar. I am sure the answer is no but I figured it would be worth a shot if the price was reasonable! Thanks!

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 am

They are not available as an aftermarket part, only on Custom Shop team and MBs.
Why? A number of reasons based on cost to produce, quantity to produce to support a massive dealer base, exclusivity for our top tier product, etc.

There’s a few other bridges in the works right now that may run tangent with the J-bridge, not sure of their availability at this point.

ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ek11sx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 am

Ron Thorn wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 am
They are not available as an aftermarket part, only on Custom Shop team and MBs.
Why? A number of reasons based on cost to produce, quantity to produce to support a massive dealer base, exclusivity for our top tier product, etc.

There’s a few other bridges in the works right now that may run tangent with the J-bridge, not sure of their availability at this point.
Fair and expected. Thanks, Ron. I think I can speak for a lot of folks around when I say that we are very interested to see what other bridges you may have coming down the pipeline

Thanks again

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Tried a CS Jazzmaster with one today. Amazing bridge. Obviously a lot of other factors involved, but I really liked the sound of it. The look has grown on me.

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 am

I think it's beautiful... Wouldn't necessarily suit any ole guitar, but still.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 am

Ron Thorn wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 am
Any updates on this? I'd still love to buy a couple of RSD J bridges for a Marr Jaguar and a '62 AVRI Jazzmaster.