Aluminati Guitars: replacement bolt-on aluminum necks for 25.5"- absolutely incredible

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aluminati Guitars: replacement bolt-on aluminum necks for 25.5"- absolutely incredible

Post by loveinathens » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 pm

AlumNeck wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 am
So many good replies here great thread!

The Drewman stuff looks amazing certainly on my short list! A bit off the radar is Developing Nations and Innovative Guitars also on my Short list.

kimson wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 am
loveinathens wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm
I'm so glad we have at least three options for aluminum bolt-ons now. I remember when Bastin started doing preorders and everyone went nuts, and subsequently disappointed when he couldn't keep the operation running sustainably. When EGC started doing necks again, and now Robot Graves and Aluminati are on board, it's a great time to finally make the switch.

EDIT:

Almost forgot about Alef, but I only have an American shipping address.
Looks like there's also a fifth one:
https://www.drewman.co.uk/
Been meaning to ask Kevin at Developing Nations if he's planning on just selling necks! Completely forgot about Innovative Guitars! I'm pretty certain Innovative also do aluminum bodies to spec. I remember seeing a baritone build at some point!

Gotta check out the Drewman stuff!

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aluminati Guitars: replacement bolt-on aluminum necks for 25.5"- absolutely incredible

Post by AlumNeck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm

A full build is the way to go if you can swing it!
loveinathens wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 pm
AlumNeck wrote:

The Drewman stuff looks amazing certainly on my short list! A bit off the radar is Developing Nations and Innovative Guitars also on my Short list.

kimson wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 am

Looks like there's also a fifth one:
https://www.drewman.co.uk/
Been meaning to ask Kevin at Developing Nations if he's planning on just selling necks! Completely forgot about Innovative Guitars! I'm pretty certain Innovative also do aluminum bodies to spec. I remember seeing a baritone build at some point!

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:13 pm

AlumNeck wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm
loveinathens wrote:
AlumNeck wrote:

I have like a $1k budget if I'm springing into the T6 life. So like, my options were either I get a Robot Graves neck for my Jazzmaster or I spring for a Kramer DMZ200 or 450G. What would you suggest?

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 pm

I would say go with the neck the modern stuff will be easier to make a playable guitar and will have better and faster resale if need be.
loveinathens wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:13 pm
AlumNeck wrote:
loveinathens wrote:

I have like a $1k budget if I'm springing into the T6 life. So like, my options were either I get a Robot Graves neck for my Jazzmaster or I spring for a Kramer DMZ200 or 450G. What would you suggest?

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 pm

loveinathens wrote:
AlumNeck wrote:
loveinathens wrote:

The vintage aluminum stuff is cool but all I've heard about is tuning issues. I don't know if you're totally set on a robert graves neck, but you should shoot James at Aluminati Guitars an email to see if their necks might be a good fit for your needs- he was telling me at the show that they spent a lot of design time on trying to ensure tuning stability. The combo of carbon fiber fretboard + aluminum neck makes sense to me, super lightweight yet incredibly sturdy.

Also, I've been wondering something:

The majority of aluminum necks out there remove most of the aluminum from their headstocks...I'm not one of those tone lord dudes, but I've always recognized the fact that the headstock vibrates pretty significantly when you play. For instance, I've always thought guitars equipped with floyd rose vibratos sound pretty dead cause essentially the string vibrations are cut off at the nut. Does removing all of the aluminum in the headstock, so it kind of resembles a tuning fork, have any impact on the instruments sustain and liveliness? Or is it really just negligible and makes the thing lighter so they blast out the middle of the headstock?

AlumNeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AlumNeck » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 am

Kwyjibo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 pm
loveinathens wrote:
AlumNeck wrote:

The majority of aluminum necks out there remove most of the aluminum from their headstocks...I'm not one of those tone lord dudes, but I've always recognized the fact that the headstock vibrates pretty significantly when you play. For instance, I've always thought guitars equipped with floyd rose vibratos sound pretty dead cause essentially the string vibrations are cut off at the nut. Does removing all of the aluminum in the headstock, so it kind of resembles a tuning fork, have any impact on the instruments sustain and liveliness? Or is it really just negligible and makes the thing lighter so they blast out the middle of the headstock?
The aluminum headstocks are like that usually for weight relief. I think this is am important design decision as is the nut a couple use a zero fret for example.