If a guitar looked fugly as fuck, but sounded fucking fantastic, would you be okay with that?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: If a guitar looked fugly as fuck, but sounded fucking fantastic, would you be okay with that?

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:31 am

something that is make or break for me is the headstock. an ugly headstock will stop me before I even start. I'm primarily a LP/SG guy and want to love the LTD copies since they play and sound amazing, but the 3 a side LTD headstock is ugly AF and butt rock looking. I'd love to get a Kramer LP copy with the Floyd Rose because the $$ is right, but the headstock looks even worse. If I were to go for a Gibson copy, Ibanez would be my first choice because they look, play, and sound great while having a non-douchey headstock.

a beautiful, great sounding guitars can become ugly to me because of ergonomics. I'd love to be a strat guy, but I have never been comfortable with one. I had a squire 51 that sounded amazing and the neck was awesome, but it was a fight every time I played it even when perfectly set up. I traded it for a jagmaster, which is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played in my life and it looks great to boot.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: If a guitar looked fugly as fuck, but sounded fucking fantastic, would you be okay with that?

Post by Danley » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 am

It’s taken a *while* for me to be familiar with Strat ergonomics - bridge way too close to the strap pin, strings too close to the guitar body, trem arm right where your wrist wants to be, knobs in funny places etc.

After that, an Offset seems easy.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:53 am

RuffiansFC wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:31 am
something that is make or break for me is the headstock. an ugly headstock will stop me before I even start. I'm primarily a LP/SG guy and want to love the LTD copies since they play and sound amazing, but the 3 a side LTD headstock is ugly AF and butt rock looking.
Man, I always digged the LTD headstock! Together with the "flag" inlays and all. But I agree, the headstock can def break an otherwise great looking guitar.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:51 am

If I'm buying it, no. There's too many great sounding guitars out there that also look great.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Meriphew wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:51 am
If I'm buying it, no. There's too many great sounding guitars out there that also look great.
this brings up a good point. I'd play anything, no matter how ugly. I just don't want a hideous piece of gear permanently in my home taking up space. I have just one electric guitar, but it looks, sounds, and play as good as I could hope for any guitar to. I don't need another, especially if it looks hideous.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 am

i think the key here is buying/owning vs playing
i own maybe one or two ugly ones out of a dozen
but if we're talking just playing...ill play anything i dont care what it looks like

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:49 am

I own a Höfner Shorty - that’s not a beauty but a travel guitar. So probably that is a field of its own, because on the road, I don’t care that much about the looks.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"