NGD: Fender Player Jaguar, Tidepool

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Fender Player Jaguar, Tidepool

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:32 am

Beltone wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:14 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm
Sounds like you should replace the low E. Sometimes you get a dud string that won't intonate.
I have no idea why or how, but it occasionally happens.
Thanks for the tip. I was concerned at first that the issue was the screw touching the string, but even after the string was sitting right in the barrel slot further adjustments led to the same thing.
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a dud string.
No reason you shouldn’t be able to intimate every strong perfectly.
I haven’t had issues with any Jaguar or Mustang I’ve had (both 24” scale), beyond a rare dud string.

What gauge are you using?
I use 11s on Jaguars and Mustangs; sometimes 10s on the Mustang.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:32 am
Beltone wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:14 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm
Sounds like you should replace the low E. Sometimes you get a dud string that won't intonate.
I have no idea why or how, but it occasionally happens.
Thanks for the tip. I was concerned at first that the issue was the screw touching the string, but even after the string was sitting right in the barrel slot further adjustments led to the same thing.
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a dud string.
No reason you shouldn’t be able to intimate every strong perfectly.
I haven’t had issues with any Jaguar or Mustang I’ve had (both 24” scale), beyond a rare dud string.

What gauge are you using?
I use 11s on Jaguars and Mustangs; sometimes 10s on the Mustang.
I have 10s on right now. Slowly working my way up from the stock 9s. I have 11s on my other guitar so I'm probably heading there next string change.

bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bmorepunk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Beltone wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:37 am
sirspens wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:21 pm
Stagmag in the bridge!
Thanks for suggesting these. I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncan (have their P90s in my single cut) but I wasn't aware of the Stag Mag. I noticed on their website that they tout the Strat sound of the single coil when split. Do you find that too, or do they retain some Jaguar character? I ask because I really like the stock pickup--more than I was expecting to going in. It looks like the humbucker is pretty hot too. How do you find it in real world use.
That stock pickup is surprisingly hot, but I assume it is to balance the neck pickup when it has half the output in coil split mode.

I swapped out mine for a Pearly Gates Plus (PGP+) which is f-spaced and medium vintage output. It's a Pearly Gates that has an Alnico 5 magnet and is slightly overwound. They are only available used (~$80). The stock one was fine, just too hot for my needs.

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am

congrats on the new Jag! I have my tidepool Jag for probably 5 months now and i love it! agree also that i had no workmanship issues - the neck is really great and frets are fine. i did replace the bridge with a Mustang Bridge as the saddle height screws started to rattle a bit and bug me. I currently have 11's chrome flatwounds which give it a lovely full sound and i play mostly with the neck pick up. The humbucker is bit of a fat boost to the sound that i can't control but that's as much my playing limitations.... it's an interesting point made on the neck pick up being similar to rhythm circuit sound on a squier jag - i did play a classic player series jag in the shop and that neck pickup was quite a bit hotter but never tried a squier...or AVRI for that matter

my only issue with the guitar is not having a case or gigbag - any recommendations?

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:54 am

barryd wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am
my only issue with the guitar is not having a case or gigbag - any recommendations?
I'm in the same boat right now investigating case and gig bag options. Nothing is jumping out at me right now at the right price meets quality threshold. My local music store keeps them in the back and it's a pain to ask them to bring them all out to compare if I don't see one I like. Next time I drive to a larger music store I'd like to get my hands on a few before deciding. If you or anyone else finds something good, let me know.

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am

Yeah i like the fender deluxe molded case but its 160eur! Gator lightweight electric nylon case looks versatile too at 77eur....hmm but i'm not crazy about standard fender gigbags

bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bmorepunk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 am

The new Fender bags (such as the FE620) do not fit, it is too long (unless you force it in and have constant pressure on the headstock). Sweetwater said it would and they were wrong. They took it back no issues.

Also, my Jag pickguard cut is a little off and the neck pickup is mounted really crooked. Mine was new but I didn't order it (was suppossed to be used off of Reverb, seller had some issues and just ordered me a new one so I couldn't send back). Not a big deal, but definitely didn't get the best one.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:02 pm

barryd wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am
Yeah i like the fender deluxe molded case but its 160eur! Gator lightweight electric nylon case looks versatile too at 77eur....hmm but i'm not crazy about standard fender gigbags
Congrats on your Tidepool by the way. I was rushing a bit in my previous reply. Had a chance to check out some Rouge Valley gig bags today that might work if I go that route. Not sure if they're available outside Canada though and haven't tested the fit yet. I could also save $100 by going with a generic rectangle case instead of a form fitting Jag case. It looks like you're in Europe so this case I saw at Anderton's might work for you.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-clas ... guar-black

Even with exchange rates factored in it's listing lower than I've seen on US & Canadian sites.

Appreciate bmorepunk's info about the Fender bag not fitting, just didn't see a quick way to multi quote threads here.

bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bmorepunk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Forgot to mention the newer Fender ABS offset case fits great:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... uitar-case

Also, if you can find an old Fender Metro gig bag somewhere it fits good too; I have one and was looking for another when I failed with the FE620. Here is the one I got a couple years ago and couldn't find another after Fender came out with the nrw bags (decent padding level):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00724ZC ... UTF8&psc=1

I got it for $35 US. Really wish I had bought another at that price.

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 am

thanks for the info guys - i love the Fender deluxe ABS case. the gator one i was talking about is this:

https://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/ ... -electric/ but on their website the Case Advisor can't suggest any of their products for a Jag :fp:

the other good quality but expensive gigbags are Reunion Blues Aero Series...but i suppose you really have to fit the guitar in yourself to know if it works.

I don't think Rouge Valley are here in Ireland. If the local stores here doesn't have options the usual suspects are Thomann in Germany or Andertons UK. I probably would have saved money buying my Jag with either of them but i wanted to play the guitar first and it's clear that not all specimens are the same - i had a look again at my pick guard and while the pickups are aligned fine, the pick guard is not a 100% perfect fit.. but no major issue.

Forgot to add, as well as a mustabg bridge i replaced volume and tone knobs with AV ones, think they work!

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 am

Absolutely stunning guitar, I had the same one for a while. The bridge is definitely fine but because it’s still short scale, the screws in the saddles will def work their way out. I added a decent amount of clear nail polish to the threads when setting the action n stuff. Should be fine from there on out. That color with the black and chrome is amazing. Wish I had a JM in that. Colorway.

SecretMachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SecretMachine » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:49 am

I've recently purchased one of these myself. Had a hard time finding one that was well setup though, ended up going to about three different guitar shops before I played one that I thought felt good.

However, since I've been playing it for about three weeks, been having some real issues with it. Firstly, even with a fresh setup at 11s, some of the strings sound completely dead. I think the bridge is choking them out completely. Secondly, the screws in the bridge saddles seem to magically work themselves out and I find myself screwing them in mid-song. Finally, I like the humbucker, but holy shit the output is hot compared to the neck. I'm tempted to switch it with the P90/Humbucker that Seymour Duncan offers and see if I can use the coil split switch as a pickup selector. Any thoughts on the feasibility of this?

Anyone got any suggestions on how to remedy my situation? I'm tempted to buy a new bridge, but I don't want to splash on a Mastery and StayTrem no longer ship outside of the UK.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

SecretMachine wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:49 am
I've recently purchased one of these myself. Had a hard time finding one that was well setup though, ended up going to about three different guitar shops before I played one that I thought felt good.

However, since I've been playing it for about three weeks, been having some real issues with it. Firstly, even with a fresh setup at 11s, some of the strings sound completely dead. I think the bridge is choking them out completely. Secondly, the screws in the bridge saddles seem to magically work themselves out and I find myself screwing them in mid-song. Finally, I like the humbucker, but holy shit the output is hot compared to the neck. I'm tempted to switch it with the P90/Humbucker that Seymour Duncan offers and see if I can use the coil split switch as a pickup selector. Any thoughts on the feasibility of this?

Anyone got any suggestions on how to remedy my situation? I'm tempted to buy a new bridge, but I don't want to splash on a Mastery and StayTrem no longer ship outside of the UK.
The Am Pro Jazzmaster bridge is available. It has a set 9.5 radius btw. Worth searching the forum for more info on them.
https://www.angela.com/fenderbridgeasse ... aster.aspx

Also on the Seymour Duncan you mentioned, the P-Rail, if I got a Player Jag that would be the pickup I would get. The HB is super hot tho.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Loctite blue or purple.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:57 pm
Loctite blue or purple.
I see how it is, I suggest a $70 bridge and you suggest a $4 tube of goo. ;D
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".