new BASS day ---- Fender American Standard Jaguar Bass

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dirtyclinic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

new BASS day ---- Fender American Standard Jaguar Bass

Post by dirtyclinic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am

THIS IS A BASS GUITAR!!! it's an offset though. I picked this up yesterday from the local classifieds. After looking at it online and then doing some research I called up the guy and didn't even try to talk him down, I just wanted to arrange a time to come get it. He had it listed for $650 and it was in pristine condition. I had never played one of these or even seen one but I knew I wanted it. I love Fender offset guitars (I have a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar) and this was looking really cool. Big block inlays, P and J pickups, active boost thing, and from what I can tell, a great price. The neck feels incredibly smooth and the fretwork is about the best I have seen. I love that there are many combinations of sounds using the switches and then using the active circuit too.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: new BASS day ---- Fender American Standard Jaguar Bass

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

That's a fantastic instrument right there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Congrats! Great bass choice.

I picked up a Hot Rod Red version when I wanted a versatile bass for recording. I have thought about modding it with a Precision pickup, this version has 2 Jazz style, but it sounds great as is. The neck is perfect. I really like the feel and balance. Mine has a standard rather than a string through bridge and I don’t use the active circuit near as much as I thought I would.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Nice looking bass

Nice price too

:)

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeah there are really no downsides in this story. Congrats man!

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am

I've got a black American Jag bass and it's the most versatile bass I think I'll ever lay hands on. If you got that for $650 you got an extreme score. I think they were like $1,500 when new. Fender didn't make many of them, they rarely come up for sale, and some of the ones I have seen have been well north of $1,000. I got mine used in late 2017 and paid $1,100 and felt like I did alright.

If I had any beef with this instrument, it's the Jazz pickup. Wish it was noiseless. I suppose this is a common issue with PJs, but if you're playing a bit dirty it's hard to blend the Jazz in with all the hum. Not a big deal, but it's something. I don't use the active circuit, but I reckon it's nice for folks who are into that sort of thing.

Given how many different foreign-made Jaguar versions there were, I'm surprised the U.S. model didn't do better. Like I said, it can do everything. I can see why the Dimension failed: It was kinda ugly and not very Fendery. But the Jag is so good looking, has all the options you'd want, and is Fender through-and-through. I don't get why it didn't have a longer run.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 am

Cool bass. Want.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 am

Great deal, great bass. Completely underrated instruments. My only complaint from a design perspective was that Fender missed the opportunity to make the Jaguar bass a shorter scale. They already have P/J Mustang basses, but they could have carved out a niche if this was 32", which would fit with the whole Jaguar concept.

As it is, they're basically a cooler (IMO) P/J or J/J Jazz Bass with a useful active circuit. $650 is an amazing deal, congrats on the new bass.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

dirtyclinic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dirtyclinic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am

burpgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am
I've got a black American Jag bass and it's the most versatile bass I think I'll ever lay hands on. If you got that for $650 you got an extreme score. I think they were like $1,500 when new. Fender didn't make many of them, they rarely come up for sale, and some of the ones I have seen have been well north of $1,000. I got mine used in late 2017 and paid $1,100 and felt like I did alright.

If I had any beef with this instrument, it's the Jazz pickup. Wish it was noiseless. I suppose this is a common issue with PJs, but if you're playing a bit dirty it's hard to blend the Jazz in with all the hum. Not a big deal, but it's something. I don't use the active circuit, but I reckon it's nice for folks who are into that sort of thing.

Given how many different foreign-made Jaguar versions there were, I'm surprised the U.S. model didn't do better. Like I said, it can do everything. I can see why the Dimension failed: It was kinda ugly and not very Fendery. But the Jag is so good looking, has all the options you'd want, and is Fender through-and-through. I don't get why it didn't have a longer run.
Do you happen to have an American P-Bass as well or have you compared this bass to one? I have been wanting to get a P-Bass and I am wondering if this bass in it's passive mode, just using the P-Bass pickup if it is the same sound as an actual P-Bass. If it is, then I guess I don't need to get one. I already have an American Jazz Bass that I love.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 am

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 am
Great deal, great bass. Completely underrated instruments. My only complaint from a design perspective was that Fender missed the opportunity to make the Jaguar bass a shorter scale. They already have P/J Mustang basses, but they could have carved out a niche if this was 32", which would fit with the whole Jaguar concept.

As it is, they're basically a cooler (IMO) P/J or J/J Jazz Bass with a useful active circuit. $650 is an amazing deal, congrats on the new bass.
Fender kinda did the shorter scale on the reverse Jaguar bass, which was 32 inch. That thing looked like Fender's take on a Thunderbird, with all the same screwed up access to higher frets. On a semi-related note, I've got two of the Squier Jag shorties--they're 30 inch--and they are excellent and dirt cheap too. Those basses are so tiny they make the Fender Jag feel pretty massive in size.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:59 am

dirtyclinic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am
burpgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am

Do you happen to have an American P-Bass as well or have you compared this bass to one? I have been wanting to get a P-Bass and I am wondering if this bass in it's passive mode, just using the P-Bass pickup if it is the same sound as an actual P-Bass. If it is, then I guess I don't need to get one. I already have an American Jazz Bass that I love.
I do! My main bass is a 1975 Precision I've had for like 25 years. It's gone though a few pickups. The original had a coil fail some time ago and was replaced with whatever the American standard version was at the time. I've got an EMG GZR in now and it's not that different that what it replaced. The Jaguar, with just the P engaged, sounds pretty similar, albeit a little brighter and more biting. But it's all pretty subtle: If you only ever ran the Jag with the P on solo with no active circuit, it's essentially a Precision sonic-wise.

I had one of the original Japanese Jags back in the day and that was definitely different relative to P-bass, and in the end, I didn't like it and sold it. The selling point of the U.S. Jag, at least for me, was that it had the P pickup. If the Jag was the only bass I had, I don't think I need a Precision. As it now stands, my Precision is my roundwound bass and the Jag has flats.