60th Anniversary JM revisited

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
flysky578
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 60th Anniversary JM revisited

Post by flysky578 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:29 am

Still have none (all i've seen had too light Pau Ferro for my taste on a black version and was worried about the often stated shielding/grounding issues) but i've seen one used for sale with a dent in the finish which exposed the wood and we can see how thick the finish is Image

It may helps someone :shifty:

coldengray
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by coldengray » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:33 am

I have a black 60th body on a Partscaster JM I built. The finish is very thin on these, my custom neck plate bit into the finish while I was messing with the neck relief (vintage location for the truss rod).

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:55 am

Bumping cause I wanna ask if anyone on OSG has a daphne blue one and wouldn't mind posting some pics. All of the ones on the internet seems to have wildly varying image quality. My dumb ass just missed out on buying one at GC used for $800 and now I'm GASing for it harder than ever.

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Here is my daphne blue 60th anniversary.

I have had it for a little over a year but the yellowing started within a month of owning it. Not super happy about that but I do really like this guitar.
My American nitro Jags never reacted this way. They have aged and darkened but don't have giant discolored blotches on them like this one. The binding was covered with lacquer as well and it turned a hideous yellowy brown so I scrapped it all off down to the white plastic binding.

The pickups sound exactly like my AV65 pickups I have. I'm still using the stock bridge and have never had any problems with it. But that's probably because this bridge doesn't rock and fits snuggly in the bridge thimbles.
I don't like tort so I put an AVRI mint guard on it.

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Also if I could do it over again I’d probably wait and try and find my dream jazzmaster instead. An AV 65 ice blue metallic with matching headstock. I think they were a special run on the AV 65s.

Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tehz_ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm

I haven’t experienced the same yellowing on my Fiesta Red model but the finish does seem to be extremely thin; I can practically chip it off with my fingernail and even babying it, there are a number of small spots where the finish has indeed chipped off.

I have noticed the same discoloration of the neck binding; that happened really quickly, within the first six months of owning it. A small gripe, but a gripe, nonetheless.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 pm

SummerLeftMe wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm
Also if I could do it over again I’d probably wait and try and find my dream jazzmaster instead. An AV 65 ice blue metallic with matching headstock. I think they were a special run on the AV 65s.
Very much appreciate the pics Summer. The main thing that’s got me wanting one of these is that Daphne Blue finish. Have you read anything about others with this guitar having that same issue? As in it was a problem in this run or just possibly specific to that guitar. One hell of a fine lookin guitar anyway if ya ask me.

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm

I did ask here a while ago but I haven't read anything so far about the finish being a problem for other people.
I suppose this nitro formulation just doesn't react well to my sweat and oils from my hands/body. The MIM lacquer must be different to the USA made finish as my sonic blue AV65 Jaguar is still looking good after 4 or 5 years.

Worth noting that I do live in Hawaii and its hot all the time so I sweat and play without a shirt often. So that's more skin touching the finish unfortunately. :-[

The Daphne blue was what made me get this guitar as well. :)

dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dadsoda » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:38 pm

How much Gatorade do you drink before playing it? :fp:
But I have the black version and it does have lighter spots in those areas. I assumed black guitars just show blemishes/ dirt easier.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:51 pm

SummerLeftMe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm
I did ask here a while ago but I haven't read anything so far about the finish being a problem for other people.
I suppose this nitro formulation just doesn't react well to my sweat and oils from my hands/body. The MIM lacquer must be different to the USA made finish as my sonic blue AV65 Jaguar is still looking good after 4 or 5 years.

Worth noting that I do live in Hawaii and its hot all the time so I sweat and play without a shirt often. So that's more skin touching the finish unfortunately.

The Daphne blue was what made me get this guitar as well. :)
my Sonic Blue Thin Skin greened up like that (altho not quite as much) . It isn't a 65, tho...it's from the first run of them.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:10 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. Picked one up last night, just gotta wait for it to be shipped to me. Will post pics on arrival. Pretty fucking stoked.

Mongoloid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mongoloid » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 am

Long time lurker, and fan of the boards.

I just had a hell of a time contacting numerous shops trying to purchase one with minimal issues. It seems like this run of guitars is just plagued with issues, and you gotta kind of just settle with whatever you’re given. Mine in particular has a truss rod channel that is slightly offcenter (favoring the low end), and the finishing is lifting at the neck plate (as if it was assembled before the nitro cured). If I didn’t want a fiesta red big sister to my Tagima I wouldn’t have even bothered, but I think everyone interested in purchasing this model should be aware of what they’d be getting themselves into.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 am

Weird.

Well my daphne blue one arrived yesterday. I had the opposite experience. It has an amazing neck, the color looks beautiful, the pickguard is a lot nicer than what I expected to the point that I may not upgrade it at all. The action is perfect. Hell I was planning on adding a Mastery bridge and this stock one is the best stock bridge on any JM I ever owned. I feel like it stacks up very favorably with my American Original Jazzmaster. I'll try and get some pics and drop em here.

Mongoloid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mongoloid » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 am
Weird.

Well my daphne blue one arrived yesterday. I had the opposite experience. It has an amazing neck, the color looks beautiful, the pickguard is a lot nicer than what I expected to the point that I may not upgrade it at all. The action is perfect. Hell I was planning on adding a Mastery bridge and this stock one is the best stock bridge on any JM I ever owned. I feel like it stacks up very favorably with my American Original Jazzmaster. I'll try and get some pics and drop em here.
That’s killer you got one that is without any problems. I don’t mean to be speculative, but it’s all I got in this instance. Maybe it was just something with the fiesta reds? It seemed that the Blonde and Black colorway were moreso without issues, but still I’m kinda feeling like the quality in MIM Fenders are starting to decline. The fretboard was also dry as a bone.

All that aside it’s setup well, and plays nice.

Kadenray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kadenray » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:47 am

Mongoloid wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am
tune_link wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 am
Weird.

That’s killer you got one that is without any problems. I don’t mean to be speculative, but it’s all I got in this instance. Maybe it was just something with the fiesta reds? It seemed that the Blonde and Black colorway were moreso without issues, but still I’m kinda feeling like the quality in MIM Fenders are starting to decline. The fretboard was also dry as a bone.

All that aside it’s setup well, and plays nice.
I think you just got a bad one, my MIM Troy van Leeuween was really nice straight out the gate. Just needed the neck oiled, and a fret Dress. I replaced the bridge with a Mastery, the pick-guard for a white guard, and the rhythm switch for a traditional switch, but that was just due to preference and cosmetic reasons. The 60th anniversary models seem pretty close to the TVL's.