60th Anniversary JM revisited

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

60th Anniversary JM revisited

Post by tune_link » Wed May 29, 2019 6:00 am

I read through an old post from when the 60th anniversary MIM JM came out and it didn't answer my question so I thought I'd bring it up. Who has one of these, how's the lacquer finish, are the pickups AV65 or something else (I read on some other guitar forum that they "technically" aren't but sound the same anyway? If you had it to do over would you still get one or something else, etc. I'm thinking of taking the plunge on a daphne blue one but I kinda wanna hear some more about it from people who know their shit when it comes to offsets as opposed to all the other random people out there where this might be their one lone offset.

coldengray
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: 60th Anniversary JM revisited

Post by coldengray » Wed May 29, 2019 8:43 am

I’m also interested in this subject, particularly about the pickups. I’ve read they are the same parts/specs as AVRI pickups only made in Mexico.

ncarey13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ncarey13 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am

I got the blonde one at the end of November. I'd definitely get one again. I did replace the bridge, tremelo, knobs, and pickguard. I've never liked the original Jag/Jazz bridge, so I always replace those. The pickguard and knobs were purely for cosmetic reasons. The original pg was a little too dark for my taste. It's a great guitar, and I haven't touched my Jaguar since I got it. Plays and sounds great. The finish is awesome as well. Here's a pic after the upgrades.

https://imgur.com/GJ6q0RU
They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer.

coldengray
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by coldengray » Wed May 29, 2019 9:53 am

ncarey13 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am
I got the blonde one at the end of November. I'd definitely get one again. I did replace the bridge, tremelo, knobs, and pickguard. I've never liked the original Jag/Jazz bridge, so I always replace those. The pickguard and knobs were purely for cosmetic reasons. The original pg was a little too dark for my taste. It's a great guitar, and I haven't touched my Jaguar since I got it. Plays and sounds great. The finish is awesome as well. Here's a pic after the upgrades.

Looks great! Is that an American Professional bridge? What do you think of the stock pickups?

ncarey13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ncarey13 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am

Yes, it's the American Pro bridge from Darren Riley. The pickups are great. They sound better than any other Jazzmaster I've ever had. I've had two before, one with Antiquity II's and another with some Novak pickups that were in it when I got it. To me, it sounds like a Jazzmaster should sound. I wouldn't change them.
They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am

ncarey13 wrote:

I'm lovin this pic! I put that same bridge on my AO Jazzmaster and it's been fantastic. I like all of the colors they offered the 60th in. Classy as hell in blonde with that tort!

ncarey13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ncarey13 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am
ncarey13 wrote:

I'm lovin this pic! I put that same bridge on my AO Jazzmaster and it's been fantastic. I like all of the colors they offered the 60th in. Classy as hell in blonde with that tort!
Thank you sir!!! I appreciate it!

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Also late to this party. Are these finished in nitro?

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed May 29, 2019 7:05 pm

I got a black one to counter my Olympic White AV65, and it is now my heavy string Jazzmaster. I use heavy bottom 12s on it, and push the pickups as far away from the strings as I can get them. It gives it a really great and unique sound. Chimey and chunky at the same time.

Before I did all of that, the pickups sounded just ever so slightly brighter than my AV65. But I'm talking a tad. Within the variance I would expect from the same run.

I love my two Jazzmasters.

coldengray
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by coldengray » Thu May 30, 2019 4:30 am

prospect wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:03 pm
Also late to this party. Are these finished in nitro?
Yes, the bodies are nitro.

giantsteps
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by giantsteps » Thu May 30, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a blonde one. My first offset. Replaced bridge with a Mastery. Pickups sound bright and clear...though I'm running the tone knob on like 4.5 all the time to get rid of the ultra high frequency noise. I had it set up with 10's but I'll be moving to 11's soon. With the trem the playability is sproingier than my other guitars. Had to make some adjustments but super comfy to play. A tad on the heavy side though.

Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tehz_ » Fri May 31, 2019 10:09 am

I’ve been very happy with mine, I have the fiesta red model. Changed the pickguard out for mint green, the bridge to an American Pro, and the tremolo to an AVRI unit. Huge improvement.

The pickups sound fine but I actually find them a tad darker than I was expecting. I’m planning on changing them out for Duncan’s at some point in the coming months, but it’s hardly urgent.
Last edited by Tehz_ on Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caineiscarter
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Caineiscarter » Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm

I have the blond and have just replaced the bridge with a Staytrem. No plans to change anything else because the rest of the stock gear is excellent.

I absolutely love this guitar. It has a sweet chime that sounds like dark honey through my Vox Mini Superbeetle, and a djing djing djing as Steve Jones might say with the gain cranked.

I had a Squier VM Jaguar a few years back, but it wasn’t quite what I was looking for. This JM is. The bridge had to go, no question, but it’s otherwise great to play, feels luxurious and looks gorgeous. My girlfriend has no interest in electric guitars but she really likes the JM.

I’ve settled on this and a Gold Top LP as my only electrics, as I’m much more into acoustic now. But they are a fantastic pair.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Where in the USA can you buy the Staytrem's? Their website says UK buyers only....

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm
Where in the USA can you buy the Staytrem's? Their website says UK buyers only....
They pop up on eBay and Reverb from time to time (I have a saved search on eBay that alerts me), but you can use a mail reshipping/forwarding service. The latter is almost certainly going to be the cheaper route too because everyone I see selling them on eBay is trying to make $200 bucks on them. I have very little respect for people that charge way over what they paid just because of scarcity.

Fortunately I bought two (TOM drop-ins) before they started that policy. :)