Lefty offset shortscale info?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Nebrom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Lefty offset shortscale info?

Post by Nebrom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi, I play a 60s harmony bobkat strung upside down & also an 02 mia strat. I'm generally a fan of silvertone 1478s, jupiters, and other catalog guitars. I'm also a huge fan of Jaguars,mustangs,duo-sonics, etc. Not really a fan of fender prices lol. I've used the search function a bit, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you knowledge folk; what brands/models should I look into that are lefty shortscale offsets? I would probably sell my strat if I knew whatever prospective instrument would be of a same or better quality. I know Supro reissues are lefty, & I've even played a righty one but I'm not as into 24.75 & humbuckers

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lefty offset shortscale info?

Post by 601210 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:06 am

Are you talking about vintage guitars or current/recent production ones?

If you're talking recent I don't really get the problem with Fender prices. I'd even say they're downright affordable compared to Gibsons, PRS, etc. especially when you start looking into MIMs and MIJs. Entry point for an American Fender is like $1500 or even less.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:32 am

The affordability of new Fender guitars varies considerably with location. Here in Australia they are pretty darn pricey - in large part due to the currency exchange rate and import taxes.

Regarding the original question, it's slim pickings to be honest. That's why many of us lefties go down the custom built or self-assembled route. It's still not cheap to get something good, but at least you can get pretty much whatever you want.
I recommend giving it some thought, unless you're really wanting something straight off the shelf.

Cheers!
J.

Nebrom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nebrom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 am

601210 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:06 am
Are you talking about vintage guitars or current/recent production ones?

If you're talking recent I don't really get the problem with Fender prices. I'd even say they're downright affordable compared to Gibsons, PRS, etc. especially when you start looking into MIMs and MIJs. Entry point for an American Fender is like $1500 or even less.
vintage or new it doesn't matter. I'm particularly interested in pure salem but cant attest to their quality. I've had eastwoods,hagstroms reissues, and tried restringing squire jags. I currently have a 02 mia standard strat. I've played the kurt jaguar and really dont think it's worth that price. Restringing a squire supersonic would be more worth it lol. I want it to be at a similar quality as my strat. Basically I am asking if their are any niche brands that offer something like a shortscale offset besides pure salem that ate mia

Nebrom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nebrom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:38 am

JVG wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:32 am
The affordability of new Fender guitars varies considerably with location. Here in Australia they are pretty darn pricey - in large part due to the currency exchange rate and import taxes.

Regarding the original question, it's slim pickings to be honest. That's why many of us lefties go down the custom built or self-assembled route. It's still not cheap to get

Cheers!
J.
Thanks. I live nearby a luthier who estimated 1250 to build a left handed copy of my harmony bobkat. Do you know of any under the radar online shops that do shortscale bodies lefty? I'm not against having an all parts neck worked on by my luth. Also if there was some sort of compendium of what brands/models in the 60s & 70s like silvertone,supro,airlines,teisco,etc made lefties. I know that wishful thinking lol