First Jaguar - Fender Player Jag, used Am. Professional Jag or used AO/AVRI/Johnny Marr Jag?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dirtyclinic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: First Jaguar - Fender Player Jag, used Am. Professional Jag or used AO/AVRI/Johnny Marr Jag?

Post by dirtyclinic » Fri May 24, 2019 6:01 am

Did you end up getting one? I owned a Johnny Marr Jag for 2 years and while Johnny Marr is my favorite guitar player of all time, I did not like the 7.25" radius on the guitar. Most people will say "you will get used to it" but I never did. The features and the vibe of the guitar are exactly what I was after except for the fingerboard radius. I just sold the guitar on Reverb a month ago and now I am looking to get the American Professional Jazzmaster in it's place.

Ridgeback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First Jaguar - Fender Player Jag, used Am. Professional Jag or used AO/AVRI/Johnny Marr Jag?

Post by Ridgeback » Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 am

The Jag is a quirky beast, and I mean that in a good way. My recommendation for a first Jag would be one as close to vintage specs as possible so you get the "real" Jag experience. I don't know the features on all of the models you listed but of the ones I have owned, that would be the 62 AVRI or AV65. You may find that a traditional Jag is not for you but I'd start there and see where it takes you. I had a Marr that I really liked a lot but I couldn't live without the rhythm circuit. I currently have a player's grade refin 64 that isn't going anywhere. Up near the top of my wish list for a new Jag would be a Wildwood spec AV65 Thin Skin due to the radius, frets, and cool custom colors with matching headstock but that's a lot of coin to drop before you know whether you will really bond with a traditional Jag.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagWire » Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 am

Last edited by JagWire on Sat May 25, 2019 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagWire » Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 am

For a first Jaguar? Johnny Marr hands down.

Not only is it a great sounding guitar that received international praise, it 'fixes' a lot of 'issues' associated with offsets that first timers will quickly become acquainted with. As far as out of the box play-ability Marr gets my vote. I own an AVRI 62 and while I absolutely love it I swapped out the pickups for a nicer set, I swapped the bridge for a 52mm mustang bridge, and wired in a series mod, all of these things are stock on the Johnny Marr signature and for me make it the most obvious choice for a first timer.

That being said you cant really go wrong with any of those options :)

If it isn't in your budget I suggest the classic vibe or vintage modified squiers, they are VERY nice instruments for the money IMO.

appar111
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by appar111 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am

UPDATE:
I ended up not getting a Jaguar yet-- been trying to spend more time with fewer guitars, and for me that's meant putting some more time in on a Fender CS Journeyman Relic tele that I got at the end of last summer. I'm still craving one and the one that keeps getting me is the blue Player Series Jaguar with the humbucker in the bridge. The price on them is really good right now, about $575. I know the bucker in the bridge isn't traditional at all, but I feel like it could still be useful if it's not too high output, and I tend to play a fair amount of rock-ish stuff, so it would come in handy. Seems like it might be a relatively safe foray into Jaguar-land?

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:47 am

It's odd that the single coil Classic Player isn't mentioned here as it is a great, great guitar - looks good and has the same hot pickups as the Anniversary Jag (and no one says they're crap). The trem is moved up and it has a TOM but that's not a big deal unless you're a purist. Costs about the same as a Player and would be much, much better. I'm pretty easy-going, but I'd draw the line a buckers in a Jag if it was my only one.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:40 am

Humbucker jags are cool too, but they're a different thing altogether.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:15 am

Absolutely - I'm not saying I wouldn't have one in the house... I kind of want one!