AVRI G&G Case Quality

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AVRI G&G Case Quality

Post by BobL » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:08 am

Not sure this is the most appropriate place for this, but...

I own two Thin Skin Jazzmasters - a '65 purchased from Wildwood last year, and one of the new '59s from them just recently. Guitars are both great, and have the same basic design G&G case. I've owned a number of this same basic G&G case, and all of them have seemed pretty decent - A tweed tele case I still have sitting here, an AVRI 64 Tele with the brown case, a black one with a K-Line, Koll, Gustavsson, etc... all have been good.

The black case w/ the 60s logo for the '65 is great - not overly thick, feels very solid, latches work without issue.

The brown case for the '59 sucks, frankly... it's quite a bit thicker, feels flimsier, like they used a thinner or lower quality wood - I can easily flex parts of it - and the latches are worrying - I'll close them and they will pop back open, and I'm never sure they are latched. Latches feel cheaper. When I bought the guitar, they had to switch the case from another guitar they had because the original case was actually broken near one of the latches during shipment to them.

Now I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than to say... why?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI G&G Case Quality

Post by Despot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 am

I recall that the black cases that shipped with the American Vintage Jazzmasters were quite good.

Vintage cases tend to be thinner (the overall thickness of the case, not the material) than modern G&G cases were - at least with the older AVRIs. The AV cases were the first time I'd noticed Fender cases getting a lot closer to vintage cases - the dimensions were better, the interior looked right etc etc.

Sad to hear that they've started going backwards in quality - I was quite impressed with the AV cases.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI G&G Case Quality

Post by JagWire » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:37 am

I have a brown with orange interior G&G that came with my 62 AVRI and my latches do the same thing..Now the case is from 2002 so I don't know if its of a lower quality than other G&G cases or if its just getting old, I don't have another one to compare it too.

At any rate I know they sell replacement latches and hinges on their website, my plan was to repair it.