Have your most hated guitar features ever turned into your favorites?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Have your most hated guitar features ever turned into your favorites?

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:38 am

Strings. I swear, when I started learning to play guitar, I hated strings. They would hurt my hands, They would be out of tune. They would smell funny after a time. And there were six of them!

But now, after years of practice, I've discovered that they're probably my favourite feature on a guitar.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 am

Telecasters. Used to find their looks totally off, especially the headstock. Got one on a whim, and while it wasn't perfect for me playability-wise (lack of contours!), it sold me on the whole concept.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:31 am

I was initially put off by the really hot P90 in the Oceana Jr., but it’s actually a great sounding pickup. Responds well to picking dynamics, and it cuts without being overly harsh or nasal sounding. Really nails the power pop toanz I’m going for.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 am

Do not beat me, but I did not like Gretsch guitars because I found the enormous size unbearable. Then I had the opportunity to play a White Falcon. Fuck the size, what a sound!
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 am

When I started playing electrics in 1990 (after years of playing nylon string classical guitar) I couldn't figure myself ever playing anything with a solid body. For the next decade I was obsessed with Gibson and Gretsch hollow or thinline guitars and couldn't get on with Fenders at all.

This changed when I started doing repair and setup work for a guitar store. Having to demo Fenders and all kinds of guitars and hearing others play them on a daily basis changed my perspective. When I first played a vintage Jaguar 15 years ago I finally understood what they were about and bought it.

I remained obsessed with Gretsches, especially vintage ones, owned, restored and resold a few nice ones but they never quite sat right in my bands. After going through the motions for maybe the tenth time I swore I would never buy a Gretsch or Gibson again, as the '60 Jazzmaster I got in 2014 or so always seems to feel and sound better. I am now down to the Jazzmaster, a '63 LPB Jaguar and my Ric 381/12 and haven't shopped for guitars in the past three years.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:39 am

I used to think I hated maple necks, but it turns out I just hated the glossy finish that was on the maple necks. Now I have three guitars with satin finish maple necks. One of them is my current #1 guitar. Now I just see maple as an aesthetic choice. I have maple, rosewood, katalox, ebony, and laurel boards and they're all great.

I'll also echo what Kent said about three tone sunbursts. Maybe it's because my first electric was a cheap 3TSB, but I've never had any interest in having another one. But I'm thinking about picking up a 2TSB soon as those have been looking good to me lately.

I never liked Gibson shapes, but I'm really enjoying my cheap new Epi LP Special P90 and NR Firebirds are looking better and better each day.

I bought and sold two different teles, trying to get myself to like them. Third time was the charm, and now I get their appeal.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 pm

I've always liked the look of maple necks on a Fender, but have never owned one.

I liked the look of block inlays until I played them. Now I prefer something more subtle.

Never liked a sunburst finish (black border) until I saw the 58 Jazzmaster Anniversary.

Never thought much about LP's (or any single cut) until I found my dream tone with one. Now it's my favourite style.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:03 pm

set necks. i had a set neck les paul i liked. one night snapped the headstock at practice. brought an sg. same deal.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I had these Fender (was it Frontline?) catalogues from 2005-2009 or so and the thousands of times I looked them:
I always found (just a few things):
1) Rosewood necks on Fenders would be boring - clearly prefered Maple necks on white or sunburst bodies (Strats or SB Tele with Bindings)
2) Block inlays on Fender guitars were too much. I had an Epiphone Les Paul and found the Trapezoid Inlays cool.
3) or better believed Single Coils are weak - and only humbuckers are the real deal
4) Metallic finishes to be so much over the top.

Now 10 years later:
I never possessed a maple neck guitar, Rosewood only (and whatever wood is on my fakenbaker bass' frerboard).
I have three guitars with P90s, plus another Pair of Surf90s in a drawer, collecting parts for a Custom-Jazzmaster with most likely Jazzmaster pickups, a Block inlay rosewood neck and either paint it Ice Blue Metallic or Firemist Silver - and if I ever come across a Charcoal Frost Metallic JM I might have to grab it too!

But I always liked Jaguars! :)

And the other side around: hard to believe but 10 years ago I loved pearloid pickguards especially on Strats (not so much today/not at all) and my favorite effect pedal was the wah wah - and I was relatively good at playing it and owned at least 4 maybe 5 different models - now I have/had no use for it at all - so I sold even the last one of them - 'cause it was such a tonesucker even when not turned on.
The only thing that remains is the Digitech Hendrix thing (it belonged to a friend who told me to keep it and so I did): decent wah and univibe sounds - but a nightmare to turn on and off in a live setting.

sallikaan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sallikaan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am

I hated Teles for maybe 20 years, and chunky necks oh God.
and now look what happens :w00t:

and I love the chunky necks, but I think some things come with experience (didn't say age, won't say age)
Give me the champ!

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 am

The dreaded 2nd and 4th position on a Strat, just could never do it. Now for like fingerpickin, jazzy stuff, or to cut through in a muddy mix, woah; they rock. I mean, i still prefer the 1st and 5th position, but i can totally use and enjoy the thing i couldn't understand before.

Still can't do thick necks, though. Starting to play guitar on a Charvel has it's lasting effects. :D
Jesus

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 am

sallikaan wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am
I hated Teles for maybe 20 years, and chunky necks oh God.
and now look what happens :w00t:
The one on the left with the Filterton: :?
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

sallikaan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sallikaan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:02 am

thanks mate, one of the few with utter simplicity and raging tone!
Give me the champ!

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 am

2 things:

Bound neck: always hated how they looked. Bought my AO Jazzy full intending to swap the neck. As soon as I cracked the case open it looked gorgeous in real life. More subtle than it looked in pictures and very classy. I still think cheaply done bound necks look like junk but I love it on the AO.

Maple Neck on a Jazzmaster: Now I own a Mystic Seafoam AMPRO Jazzy with a Maple neck and absolutely love it. Feels amazing and looks perfect with that particular color combo. In fact I saw the same guitar with a rosewood neck and thought it looked wrong. This taught me that with the right color scheme unconventional things can work well!

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:25 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 am
Maple Neck on a Jazzmaster: Now I own a Mystic Seafoam AMPRO Jazzy with a Maple neck and absolutely love it. Feels amazing and looks perfect with that particular color combo. In fact I saw the same guitar with a rosewood neck and thought it looked wrong. This taught me that with the right color scheme unconventional things can work well!
God yes, the first time I saw a maple-necked Jazzmaster something just clicked in my brain and I realized this is absolutely what I want in life.