Buying my first expensive JM... halp!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
TwinkMingus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Buying my first expensive JM... halp!

Post by TwinkMingus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am

Hello you wonderful people. Long time listener, first time caller. Here is my situation.

I’ve been playing offsets for a real long time. Got my first CIJ Jag in 2003, followed by being first on the waiting list in my city to cop the 65 mustang when that came out in like 06-07ish, then wanted to step it up to full size and bit on the Road Worn jazzmaster when that dropped a few years ago. And while the feel of that JM is decent, the build quality of the parts is rather sub-par in my opinion. So, I’m gonna step it up and shell out the dough for a USA JM. I’ve whittled it down to this:

American Professional vs AVRI 62

Any thoughts on quality that would swing me either way?

Thank you in advance, good people of the offset faithful.

-tony

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying my first expensive JM... halp!

Post by leokula » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 am

Yo bro, that guit is sweeeeet! Go for it and make some noize on that rocking machine \m/ !!!
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am

Speaking as someone who's never had anything more expensive than an MIJ, but:

Don't get the Am Pro. By all means pick the modern style if you prefer it, and I'm sure other people can give the pros and cons on that front. But if you're going to spend the big money, then why not go down the mod shop route? If you're happy without the rhythm circuit, then get it exactly the way you want it -don't compromise if you're spending the big bucks.

(Unless, like me, you live in Europe so mod shop isn't yet an option.)

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi there - have you tried the ‘65 American Reissue JM? I have a ‘65 reissue in Firemist Silver and having owned the ‘62 AVRI as well as a real 1965 LPB Jazzmaster and a real ‘64 Jazzmaster I would say that it beat the ‘62 AVRI by a fair amount.... my 65 Rrissue virtually identical to the real 65 I used to own - neck shape, finish and hardware. You could also consider the new 60s Original JM as well as the only difference to the 65 Reissueis is the 9.5” flatter radius and a harder nitro finish because a lot of folks complained about how fragile the flash coat nitro finish was. Yes mine chips easily but I’m just a bit more careful. It’s starting to check nicely now as well.

I tried an American Pro JM and they are great guitars but the pickups are voiced more like a Strat than a JM but not sounding like the Japanese pickups at the same time - they are higher quality.

One last point - AVRI 62 neck profile is
Skinnier than both the Pro and the ‘65.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Being the owner of an AVRI '62, an AmPro and a custom shop JM, I would say that each possess qualities that make them desirable. As someone stated, the neck on the '62 is on the thin side; the neck on the AmPro, however, is the best of any guitar I own -- my only qualm in that regard is that I would have preferred a rosewood fretboard, particularly as it's paired with the pickups that are similar to a strat. However, it has killed any desire I have for a strat and in fact, I traded away my CS red sparkle strat as it was surplus to requirements. Win-win for me, because the JM body is the most comfortable of any guitar for me, and I've never cared for the shape of the strat, or their ubiquity.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

TwinkMingus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TwinkMingus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Marc, thank you for the thoughtful reply. Was the 65 AVRI only available with a bound neck? I tend to find myself preferring unbound. I know the 65’s are preferred by a lot of folks. I definitely like the pickups better.

Other option is the Mod shop route, which looks like you can add the 65 pickups as an option ?

I played an AmPro at a local store and was really digging the neck and the narrow tall frets.

Too tough of a choice, goin crazy over here. I want them all :wtf:

TwinkMingus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TwinkMingus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Tafarel- the AmPro necks are awesome! Is it not rosewood on the stock ones? I think that’s on option on the mod shop?

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 pm

I got a Wildwood AV65 (firemist silver) last year and other than the pickups, I LOVE it. The neck is fatter than I usually like, and it’s lighter than any other guitar, but it plays like a dream.

Been thinking of getting a second one but can’t really decide which one... Aesthetically the TVL JMs are super sexy, but I like blocks.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 pm

TwinkMingus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 pm
Marc, thank you for the thoughtful reply. Was the 65 AVRI only available with a bound neck? I tend to find myself preferring unbound. I know the 65’s are preferred by a lot of folks. I definitely like the pickups better.

Other option is the Mod shop route, which looks like you can add the 65 pickups as an option ?

I played an AmPro at a local store and was really digging the neck and the narrow tall frets.

Too tough of a choice, goin crazy over here. I want them all :wtf:
It only comes bound - that’s a huge sell feature for that particular reissue. I’ve now owned an AV65 Jaguar and Jazzmaster and an AVRI62 Jazzmaster and a Johnny Marr Jaguar and a 1966 Jaguar and the AV65s are hands down far and away the best guitars out of that lot, and honestly probably the best guitars I’ve ever played.

I suggest these in every case because for the price you’d pay for a good MIJ these days or the American Pro or whatever, you might as well get the best they have to offer for such a small price difference.

If aesthetically they aren’t yr thing, loaded bodies exist for sale all over and you could match it to an AVRI or MJT neck or whatever. Personally I love binding and pearloid but I understand people have different tastes. I’d still suggest getting as close to an AV65 as you can because it was, to me, the high water mark not only with Fender reissues, but with prestige guitar manufacturers’ reissue work in general. They’re that good.

I also wouldn’t ever advocate buying an American Pro. I’m glad they exist because people wanted an American Standard Jaguar and Jazzmaster forever now, but out of the ~8 I’ve played I’ve walked away every single time thinking the Squiers I nodded were not only as good, but objectively better guitars. That Mystic Seafoam looks awesome but the more conservative features only leave me wanting the real thing.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Used American Original JMs seem to be selling for less than AV65 and AV62 JMs if binding isn't a deal breaker. The 60th Anniversary 1958s go for even a hair less if you want a 7.25" radius (I keep looking at them but the 2 tone burst is seriously ugly IMO).

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 am

TwinkMingus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 pm

You can definitely add the PV65 pups on the ModShop JM. Plus they have some awesome color choices.

Neck feel is top priority for me because you can always swap pickups and even the bridge if the spacing on the E strings are too close to the edge for you.

Good luck!
Take a vacation...from your problems - Dr. Leo Marvin, auhor of Baby Steps

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Wildwood has in their '59 'Thin Skin' AVRI Jazzmasters. I just went and checked them out, and bought one - it's my second one (I have a '65 Thin Skin as well), and they are the best of the options in that range.

9.5" board, unbound. Of the two they (at the moment) list on their site, I bought the one ending 825.

Played this one as well, and it's nice - ask them to check it for any finish checking if you talk about it seriously and it might be worth a few bucks off, but I didn't say anything. ;)

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/V18 ... ?cat_id=32

Pickups are actually the '62 AVRIs.

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm

TwinkMingus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am
Hello you wonderful people. Long time listener, first time caller. Here is my situation.

I’ve been playing offsets for a real long time. Got my first CIJ Jag in 2003, followed by being first on the waiting list in my city to cop the 65 mustang when that came out in like 06-07ish, then wanted to step it up to full size and bit on the Road Worn jazzmaster when that dropped a few years ago. And while the feel of that JM is decent, the build quality of the parts is rather sub-par in my opinion. So, I’m gonna step it up and shell out the dough for a USA JM. I’ve whittled it down to this:

-tony
I have experience playing both, I own neither. In my opinion, they're not apples to apples and so it isn't the easiest conclusion to come to.

One is pretty faithful to 'the way they used to be'. The other is a more modern take on the original to better suit modern players.

Without saying one is better than the other, I'll say this; The Am Pro plays very easily and would be well suited to those particularly wanting a Jazzmaster guitar but don't necessarily want the limitations (subjective, I know) of old school playability and instead want to play modern music on a more modern guitar.

The AVRI is basically an almost 50 year old guitar, in design at least. The way the guitar is played and music itself has changed since then, and unless you're particularly fond of old school guitars that feel 'the way it used to be', you may not bond with it very well. Some of us overlook (and enjoy) the limitations/feel of old school specs and play these guitars anyways because we feel its worth it.

To be "that guy", I'm going to suggest two other Jazzmasters. I have a Classic 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster and it is very vintage correct and is one of the nicest Fenders I've ever owned. It feels high quality and sounds pretty good, with all the old school specs and playability. And it cost me about $1000 CAD. It has the 'correct' bridge and AVRI pickups. And although I don't use the rhythm circuit much, it would bother me to not have it.

I will also suggest a Japanese Jazzmaster. Fender Japan simply makes instruments better than Fender USA. Their tolerances are more acute, their fretwork is outstanding, they feel tighter, more solid, and just simply better. Blasphemy, I know, but it's true. The only exception; their pickups leave a little to be desired.

Whatever you decide I hope the journey is fun and that you love the one you end up with. And also, share pictures when the time comes.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm

AstroGhast wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm
TwinkMingus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am

-tony
I have experience playing both, I own neither. In my opinion, they're not apples to apples and so it isn't the easiest conclusion to come to.

One is pretty faithful to 'the way they used to be'. The other is a more modern take on the original to better suit modern players.

Without saying one is better than the other, I'll say this; The Am Pro plays very easily and would be well suited to those particularly wanting a Jazzmaster guitar but don't necessarily want the limitations (subjective, I know) of old school playability and instead want to play modern music on a more modern guitar.

The AVRI is basically an almost 50 year old guitar, in design at least. The way the guitar is played and music itself has changed since then, and unless you're particularly fond of old school guitars that feel 'the way it used to be', you may not bond with it very well. Some of us overlook (and enjoy) the limitations/feel of old school specs and play these guitars anyways because we feel its worth it.

To be "that guy", I'm going to suggest two other Jazzmasters. I have a Classic 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster and it is very vintage correct and is one of the nicest Fenders I've ever owned. It feels high quality and sounds pretty good, with all the old school specs and playability. And it cost me about $1000 CAD. It has the 'correct' bridge and AVRI pickups. And although I don't use the rhythm circuit much, it would bother me to not have it.

I will also suggest a Japanese Jazzmaster. Fender Japan simply makes instruments better than Fender USA. Their tolerances are more acute, their fretwork is outstanding, they feel tighter, more solid, and just simply better. Blasphemy, I know, but it's true. The only exception; their pickups leave a little to be desired.

Whatever you decide I hope the journey is fun and that you love the one you end up with. And also, share pictures when the time comes.
I've played, owned & still own several Offsets... My 2 favorites are the AV65 Jazzmaster & AV65 Jaguar.

I agree with much of what you say.. Although, IMO, the USA AV65 Jazzmaster & AV65 Jaguar in every way is equal to to the MIJ Series if not superior. Particularly in regard to Pickups. The QC, Fit, Finish & Detail on these Guitars is second to none....

L