NBD! JMJ Mustang Bass :D

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NBD! JMJ Mustang Bass :D

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been lusting after these since a customer brought his in for a setup a couple of months ago and I finally ordered one of my own earlier this week. It arrived at the local store this morning and I swung by and picked it up at lunch. Here are some not particularly great cell pics:
I only gave this particular one a 5-10 minute test spin through a BA-210 in the noisy store to make sure the electronics weren't DOA, but the one that triggered my coveting of these was really impressive sounding in my slightly more extensive time w/ it. Both have a great feel and seem like an absolute blast to play.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it came w/ a Fender "Deluxe" gig bag rather than it just riding bareback in the shipping box as the Sam Ash product page had it advertised. I ordered one of the Fender G&G Mustang/Bronco hard cases for it at the same time as the bass but it might be a bit before I get it since it's a special order from Fender.

I'm probably going to get my luthier friend to do an unbleached bone nut for it on Saturday (assuming I don't somehow decide I hate it and am sending it back in the interim, which seems highly unlikely) just because I'm goofy like that. Otherwise I can't really see much I'd think of changing on here other than swapping for some form of straplock buttons and maybe trying a different set of flats if the stock Fender ones turn out to not be all that I could hope for w/ further playtime.

As a bonus, I had a couple of cool straps that hadn't quite caught for me on other instruments yet, I think they could both work pretty good on here, what do you guys think?
Image Image

Thanks again for taking a look!

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD! JMJ Mustang Bass :D

Post by windmill » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Yeah that's a nice looking bass

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Lovely. I’ve been pining for one of these since I heard they were coming out.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm

2nd strap fo’ sho’. Lovely bass.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks guys!

I got to spend an hour or so w/ it through the PF50T>PF115 before some after hours day job work I had on the slate for tonight and it's definitely feeling like a keeper.

With these strings it seems a bit more limited to old school/classic bass sounds than my other short scale bass the Wattplower. Output seems to sit in a very nice sweet spot where it matches the Wattplower w/ TI Short Scale Jazz rounds on it (which I'm thinking probably means the Duncan pup in the Mustang has significantly higher output than the P-blade, but I've never used the Fender flats before so ???). A/B-ing w/ the Wattplower, I think the Reverend will be the bass of preference for the more aggressive and punchier sounds, but for the low and warm but still fairly focused stuff the Mustang is sounding great. It's got some awesome faux vintage mojo going for it sonically w/some very nice differentiation in character from the Guild B-301 which was my previous go to for those kinds of sounds so I doubt they'll feel sonically redundant to me. I probably should reserve semi-final judgement of the Mustang in stock form until I drag the PF210 back up to the music room and try it through the full stack and some fuzz/drive though.

So far it's seeming like a great buy to me and I'm grooving pretty hard on its overall vibe :D :-*

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

I eally like the pickguard on yours, looks a lot nicer than mine below..

I wish they would have released a non relic version too.

Put on some Labella Flatwounds btw. 8)

astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by astro » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Nice bass!

I too wish they made a non-relic version. I'm hoping this model sells well enough that they would consider doing that like they did with the Cobain jaguar. A non-relic version would be my dream bass!

How wide is the nut? Wide like a P-bass/vintage mustang bass or narrow like a Jazz bass/Japanese RI mustang bass?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks!

I dig it a lot as is, but I think I'm w/ you that I'd probably prefer a just aged and not quite beat on version. I think the forearm wear and shoulder/headstock rash are really well executed as well as the dings, but I'd personally have to put a lot of effort into smacking things into it in normal use to wind up w/ that many dings on an instrument even over the course of 50+ years. Maybe I'm just not punk rock enough though... :-[ :D I think ultimately if they kept the patina where it is, amped up the checking a notch, and turned down the multitude of impact craters by an order of magnitude and it might be the perfect relic treatment for me.

I've got a set of the .042-.100 LaBella Low Tension Flexible Flats and a set of .045-.100 Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats on hand that I've been thinking would be the likely sets I might try but they're both long scale. I was thinking the Cobalts would probably be the next set since it sounds like the length works just fine on this one because of the string through, but I might test string the LaBellas to see how they line up if it comes to ditching the stock ones. It's superficial but I'd love it if the Fenders could hang around so I could keep the color matched wraps ;)

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Looks awesome. Great score!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

astro wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm
Nice bass!

I too wish they made a non-relic version. I'm hoping this model sells well enough that they would consider doing that like they did with the Cobain jaguar. A non-relic version would be my dream bass!

How wide is the nut? Wide like a P-bass/vintage mustang bass or narrow like a Jazz bass/Japanese RI mustang bass?
Thanks!

Yeah, for me it's a nice relic job, but I think aged is a bit more my style than relic'd.

The nut is 1 5/8" which is great for me, despite having fairly good sized, long fingered hands the Jazz style neck has usually felt a lot more comfortable to me than the P ones I've tried. It's 9.5" radius as well, which I also appreciate, but from what I've read they made a really good effort to replicate the geometry of the neck and body of the '66 it's based on otherwise. I'm far from a vintage bass expert though so take it w/ a grain of salt? I'm loving it at any rate :)
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm
Looks awesome. Great score!
Thanks!

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Today I put some convertible straplock buttons I got from Rockinger on this one, gave the neck a good polishing w/ Legends, and my luthier friend made a new bone nut for it and worked his usual setup magic on it.
The nut turned out to be lighter in color after shaping and polishing than the blank led me to expect, but it works great as usual and it plays absolutely amazingly for me now :) He brought the action down substantially and it's got a smooth medium-slinky feel. As long as I'm fretting cleanly there's nary a buzz to be found and w/ the reduced effort required, clean fretting w/ my ham hand is a fairly reliable proposition. It might be too low for slap, but I'm pretty much a finger style guy w/ the occasional pop or thump and a pick only for songs that just don't sound right w/o one at this point.

I'm really liking those buttons. They're similar to the concept of the standard Gretsch buttons, but it seems like due to the larger size of the caps I feel like the bass will be pretty darn secure using a strap w/o locks on its ends while still being free to rotate on the button. The caps are also a lot easier to handle and unscrew/screw in than the Gretsch ones. Taking the cap off allows you to use any Schaller compatible strap end locks w/ them. They weren't exactly cheap, but still cheaper than retail on a full set of the Schallers.

I've started to notice some minor single coil noise under drive last night and today and it doesn't look like it got any shielding in the cavities so I'll probably do that sometime in the near future. I also discovered that they went a bit cheaper on the wiring than some of my previous nicer MiMs, and while the electronics seem to function just fine, I'll probably wind up doing a full rewire w/ good cloth pushback, Emerson/CTS pots, a corksniffer cap, and a Switchcraft jack sometime as well just because I think the bass deserves it ;)

The more I play this one the more I get the feeling it won't be going anywhere for a really long time :D

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 am

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

That's a lovely color. Maybe I should repaint my Bronco bass...

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am

Hiya! Could anyone with one of these or access to one measure the distance between the green lines in this picture?

... meaning the "length" of the bridge plate.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup