If you could make a series of Fender / Squier guitars...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: If you could make a series of Fender / Squier guitars...

Post by smjenkins » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 am
Did everyone forget about the rascal bass?
A Squier version of this would be awesome. And a guitar version.

Yes please!

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:50 pm

I would have a series with every Offset Fender has made to date, including the Swinger with the 22.5’ scale as an option (this could be tuned up to say G-G). All models would have modern C neck profiles but 7.25’ fretboard radii. Jaguars and Jazzmasters would have Mustang bridges. All would be available with their standard, traditional pickup configurations as well as an alternative configuration which varied by model. Filtertrons on the Jag or WRHBs on the Jazz for example. The Marauder would obviously come with the Starcaster headstock. This would ideally be an MIM or Squier series and offered at a sub-£500 price. It could be called the Complete Offset series.

Also, I really like the partscaster series idea above. If Fender could make this happen I would die a happy man.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 pm

squier rascal bass is a brilliant idea

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm
Jaggmaster - Jaguar with Jazzmaster pickups
Starcaster w/ Offset Tremolo
Jagstang done right
Tele with Jag pickups and tremolo
Actual Marauder reissue

All for $500 or less
Close the thread. Basically this.

Although bringinv back the Musuar in other colours would be fantastic.

And a guitar with a bass vi body.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Or one Squier guitar with the technology of the Line6 Variax but models of all Fender instruments ever made? Call it the Everythingcaster.

🤔😉
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 pm

I'd have to agree with doing a 'proper' Marauder.

I would also add:
a reissue Maverick (thats how you do a sawn-off offset!)

Jaguar with a 25.5" scale neck

Coronado XII re-issue

A Syd Barrett 'signature' Esquire

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 am

You know what would be amazing? A truly made to order Squier Custom Shop.

I'm sure the logistics of this would be a nightmare, but if they could figure out a way to do it semi-cheaply with a semi-quick turn around it would be bonkers. Everyone wants something slightly different looks-wise, playability-wise, sound-wise, etc. What if you could cherry pick parts from your favorite Squier level guitars and throw them together with an upgrade charge for better quality pickups, matching headstock, etc. Let them do the modding for you.

I know Fender has something like this on their website for a select few models, but imagine it expanded to include every body shape and pickup combination Squier has ever done.

Like how shoe companies like Vans, Adidas, and Converse all have totally customizable shoes, but for "low end" guitars.

Obviously the price would probably be astronomical and the production times and quality control would inevitably suffer, but since we're dreaming up product lines, might as well go full tilt with a Squier Customaster.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am

Squiers are only available at this price point because of economies of scale. If you take that away and start making custom orders, even just changing the pickup routs or whatever, I'd expect for prices to double, and at that point you could be buying a straight-up superior quality guitar for the same money.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 pm

paulnewman wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 am
You know what would be amazing? A truly made to order Squier Custom Shop.

I'm sure the logistics of this would be a nightmare, but if they could figure out a way to do it semi-cheaply with a semi-quick turn around it would be bonkers. Everyone wants something slightly different looks-wise, playability-wise, sound-wise, etc. What if you could cherry pick parts from your favorite Squier level guitars and throw them together with an upgrade charge for better quality pickups, matching headstock, etc. Let them do the modding for you.

I know Fender has something like this on their website for a select few models, but imagine it expanded to include every body shape and pickup combination Squier has ever done.

Like how shoe companies like Vans, Adidas, and Converse all have totally customizable shoes, but for "low end" guitars.

Obviously the price would probably be astronomical and the production times and quality control would inevitably suffer, but since we're dreaming up product lines, might as well go full tilt with a Squier Customaster.
Great idea, but as you, and the commenter after you note, the prices would make it not worth it. The only way I can see this being workable is if they had a semi-custom model in which they offer a handful of options for each guitar in such a way that they can still work a production line. They could for example offer say five custom colours, maple or pau ferro/ rosewood fingerboard, possibly a two or three pickup options per model most likely with a swimming pool rout, and possibly a surcharge for matching headstock. There would still be an economy of scale, although it would - depending on how well planned it was - obviously cost more than a regular Squier, if I’m being optimistic maybe the cost of a low end Fender.

Personally I like the idea but I think the Partscaster idea mentioned earlier in this thread is more realistic. With that they could even operate a Warmoth style interface on their website and sell custom kits that way.

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 am

JPCordingley wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Great idea, but as you, and the commenter after you note, the prices would make it not worth it. The only way I can see this being workable is if they had a semi-custom model in which they offer a handful of options for each guitar in such a way that they can still work a production line. They could for example offer say five custom colours, maple or pau ferro/ rosewood fingerboard, possibly a two or three pickup options per model most likely with a swimming pool rout, and possibly a surcharge for matching headstock. There would still be an economy of scale, although it would - depending on how well planned it was - obviously cost more than a regular Squier, if I’m being optimistic maybe the cost of a low end Fender.

Personally I like the idea but I think the Partscaster idea mentioned earlier in this thread is more realistic. With that they could even operate a Warmoth style interface on their website and sell custom kits that way.
Oh yeah, no doubt it's a pipe dream and not rooted in any sort of logistical reality, but it's fun to daydream!