Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Oooo- That's nice!

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Nice improvement with the rotary switch. :)

I suggest drilling switch positions in the guard, like the originals - it adds a nice extra detail.
I used a 1mm drill bit, and it worked nicely, provided you take care to accurately mark the positions. Technically the holes should only go through to the middle (black) layer of the guard, but they are so small that it looks fine to drill right through.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 2&start=45

Cheers.

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:24 pm

Well I guess I need to repost due to the forum crash yesterday...anyways, I managed to pick up a new AR Electric XII last week in Olympic White. Guitar Center still has a few in stock in the Los Angeles area on sale for $799! This is a great price but be sure to check them out as they have been on the walls for a while and they may have some nicks and bumps (which is not ideal but may even score you an even lower price). The few LPB models left are still $999 for some reason.

I setup the guitar and it plays super smooth now. I set the neck relief to 0.10” on the 8th fret (capo on 1st and pressing 17th). Replaced the cardboard pieces in the neck pocket they use as a shim with a StewMac 0.5 degree wood shim. Oiled the neck with F-One and replaced the strings with the Elixir 12-string nanoweb set. Nut measured fine so I set the action nice and low to about 4/64ths from E to E. Only intonation adjustment really needed was on the G octave string. It plays great now and the Elixir strings are light and smooth. My fingers are very happy with the playability across the fingerboard. Still need to dress the frets to smooth out the edges, but nothing major.

My thoughts thus far are that with a good set-up this guitar has great playability. I like the Gotoh bridge and the layout makes stringing and setting up as easy as can be. I strung the regular set first and then did the octave and unison set. Still takes a lot of tuning and retuning, and for some reason stringing a couple of the tuners took a lot of effort to get the string to catch. That G tuner is a pain, too, due to the headstock blocking my winder. Fortunately, I only had to set the truss once and nailed the setting I wanted. It would be a challenge to keep having to loosen and pop the neck to adjust multiple times. Everything takes a lot more time with 12 strings. Go slow and double check you lined everything correctly before cutting the string. It’s easy to mess up if not careful. Also make sure the string is seated right on the saddle.

Electronics-wise, it is quiet on my tube amp as others noted, and the pickups configurations sound good to me. Each setting has a useful and interesting tonality and dimension. You do seem to lose a lot of volume when you turn down the master tone if the volume is pulled back any amount. Not sure if that is typical with the master tone circuit in offsets. I don’t think I’ll upgrade to Novak’s and add the vintage wiring mod, but who knows. I would like to have some cream pickup covers! The pick guard does have a ton of static electricity built up when you remove the plastic, but a dryer sheet rub over the plastic and screws neutralized it. I am also getting a lot more interference when plugged direct into my interface and sitting in front of my monitors so maybe shielding the pickguard and cavity is needed.

Anyways, loving this guitar and the rich harmonic content it produces. Definitely a great deal and easy to take to the next level with a little attention to the details.

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:01 am

Hi all!
Last week I discovered that Fender reissued Electric XII last year... but unfortunately it seems a bit late now, since I’m not able to find one new anymore... Any suggestions about guitar centers (better in Europe) that still has it available?
For Soniqfreq: could you tell me the name of the GC in Los Angeles?
Thank you!

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 am

mixed_states wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:01 am
Hi all!
Last week I discovered that Fender reissued Electric XII last year... but unfortunately it seems a bit late now, since I’m not able to find one new anymore... Any suggestions about guitar centers (better in Europe) that still has it available?
Thank you!
You might try Andertons or Thomman if you want something in Europe brand-new, they might be able to hook you up or at least tell you if they're able to get any more, but Reverb is usually okay if you want something - just check where it's shipping from if you have any EU options so you're not getting shafted on shipping and import duties.

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 am
mixed_states wrote:
Hi all!
Thank you!
You might try Andertons or Thomman if you want something in Europe brand-new, they might be able to hook you up or at least tell you if they're able to get any more, but Reverb is usually okay if you want something - just check where it's shipping from if you have any EU options so you're not getting shafted on shipping and import duties.
Thanks for your help, Thomann answered that the electric XII is not available anymore and that it’s not possible to order it... I think that it is the same for Andertons, I’ll try with them also, anyway.
On reverb actually there are only vintage models. Only shops I found with availability are in Japan, Australia, Canada or USA; most of them don’t ship internationally, and customs duties are very expensive.
I hope to find some smaller European shops that still have one and can ship internationally...

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:49 am

mixed_states wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm
HarlowTheFish wrote:
mixed_states wrote:
Hi all!
Thank you!
Thanks for your help, Thomann answered that the electric XII is not available anymore and that it’s not possible to order it... I think that it is the same for Andertons, I’ll try with them also, anyway.
On reverb actually there are only vintage models. Only shops I found with availability are in Japan, Australia, Canada or USA; most of them don’t ship internationally, and customs duties are very expensive.
I hope to find some smaller European shops that still have one and can ship internationally...
Well... hit me up in the PMs if you aren't having luck finding one- I might consider letting one of my white ones go to help a brother out...

(note to admins: this is not an offer to sell, or an advertisement of such. Just a dude with a couple of these that might not get as much play as they deserve)

As a note of curiosity, how much import duties & fees do you have to pay for a new $900 guitar from a US seller?

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:22 pm

They had a couple in Oly White at a GC in Cerritos and one in Rancho Cucamonga in LA area for $799...also they each had a Lake Placid Blue EXII's for $999. Try calling around...have them check for nicks and dings as they are not all mint.
mixed_states wrote:
Hi all!
Thank you!

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:20 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:49 am
mixed_states wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm
HarlowTheFish wrote:

Well... hit me up in the PMs if you aren't having luck finding one- I might consider letting one of my white ones go to help a brother out...

(note to admins: this is not an offer to sell, or an advertisement of such. Just a dude with a couple of these that might not get as much play as they deserve)

As a note of curiosity, how much import duties & fees do you have to pay for a new $900 guitar from a US seller?
Thanks a lot!
I’ve just bought an used (but in really mint conditions) Burns double six (not vintage) at almost half the price of the new Fender, found here in my city... technically I’m very happy with it (long scale, large nut, nice pickups, lovely design, solid body...). For now I’ll play with it and try to understand what / how can I do with a 12 string... it’s my first one! Then, later, I may consider taking a different one (XII...).
For a 900$ guitar, import duties should be approximately 220$. But you have to add the shipment expenses too... it becomes a very expensive guitar unfortunately...

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:22 pm

Soniqfreq wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:22 pm
They had a couple in Oly White at a GC in Cerritos and one in Rancho Cucamonga in LA area for $799...also they each had a Lake Placid Blue EXII's for $999. Try calling around...have them check for nicks and dings as they are not all mint.

I’ve just bought an used (but in really mint conditions) Burns double six (not vintage) at almost half the price of the new Fender, found here in my city... technically I’m very happy with it (long scale, large nut, nice pickups, lovely design, solid body...). For now I’ll play with it and try to understand what / how can I do with a 12 string... it’s my first one! Then, later, I may consider taking a different one (XII...).
Thank you again 😊

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:15 pm

That’s one nice looking guitar! Congrats. Never played a Burns but I’m sure you will enjoy playing a 12’r. Pour on the reverb and tremolo or pump up the fuzz. Changes everything. You’ll be lost for days.

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:11 am

Soniqfreq wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:15 pm
That’s one nice looking guitar! Congrats. Never played a Burns but I’m sure you will enjoy playing a 12’r. Pour on the reverb and tremolo or pump up the fuzz. Changes everything. You’ll be lost for days.
Fuzz+overdrive (or distortion, it depends on the amp I use) +tremolo actually is my preferred setup!!! 😊
I have just played the guitar unplugged, and it’s a dream... wherever I put my fingers, there’s always something harmonic in the sound... I may be blown away when I’ll plug it!

Draize
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Draize » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:25 pm

I've just picked up a used (mint) LPB ARXII and I noticed quite a bit of hum from the pickups. The hum completely disappears if I touch the metal control plate or the metal part of the pickup switch. I've checked the wiring and couldn't see anything immediately wrong with it. Anyone else experienced this?

Besides that, its a beautiful guitar!

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:43 am

Draize wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:25 pm
I've just picked up a used (mint) LPB ARXII and I noticed quite a bit of hum from the pickups. The hum completely disappears if I touch the metal control plate or the metal part of the pickup switch. I've checked the wiring and couldn't see anything immediately wrong with it. Anyone else experienced this?

Besides that, its a beautiful guitar!
Congratulations, I always thought the blue one was the best looking out of all the colour options.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Draize
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Draize » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:11 am

Okay, so i've had another look at the wiring and something is definitely not right. If it was properly grounded, the hum should disappear when my skin touches the strings but this only happens when i touch the metal control plate or switch.
The green wire doesn't look factory and looks like it was added later. Can anyone post pics of the wiring under the control plate to compare?