Ron Thorn Namm Creations

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ron Thorn Namm Creations

Post by timtam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Ron Thorn talks about California Special at NAMM ...
https://youtu.be/0Fg_1hVfShA?t=313
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I just randomly had the video for the Stratocaster 1 (the Saleen collab) pop up and Ron Thorn might be my absolute favorite person in the world. I dunno if you’re still checking on the boards, man, but you’ve pretty much become my idol and I’m obsessed with all of your work. I genuinely can’t think of what else to say other than thank you for existing and thank you doing such inspiring stuff and being so approachable about it!

That video is incredible and your passion is on full display through all the videos of seen and I hope there are a thousand more. If anybody hasn’t seen that I’d suggest checking it out, as there are a bunch of cool touches and decisions they made with the guitar that make it a pretty special thing.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Oh man I've seen so many Ron Thorn videos! Crazy he's here. That Ford Lime Gold color is AMAZING. I think that may be my next refin. Looks like Teal Green Metallic.

Cool to see you on here Ron!!! Can't wait to see that Lime Gold come to life!
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:23 pm

Please also can you tell us who to lobby about getting an actual Marauder introduced at the AV/AO level, or even Out of the Ensenada plant? I know it’s a weird one that never got its chance to actually exist or compete in the market but there are countless people who consider it their dream guitar.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 pm

It suits the Parallel Universe idea but runs the risk of turning up with a TOM bridge, two humbuckers and a Tele-type switch...

electric hamburger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric hamburger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 pm

timiscott wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 pm
It suits the Parallel Universe idea but runs the risk of turning up with a TOM bridge, two humbuckers and a Tele-type switch...
Too true. That Modern Player Marauder they released years ago was an excellent guitar though, I had one in black and I regret selling it every day. The clean tones on that thing were insane

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you for such kind words!

The Saleen collaboration was a blast with lots of personal interest along the way. One thing that didn’t across in the video is that this is a one-off guitar, built as my “Prestige Collection” piece, usually appearing in the FCS Calendars the following year.
There is zero plans to go into production with it. This I’m grateful for, I’m still itching from the fiberglass and carbon fiber ;)

Regarding other models, it’s easy for me to make things happen at the Master Built level. I concoct it, I build it, it’s a thing.
On any other level, however, there are many people involved from marketing, scheduling, engineering, etc.
At least the next 2 years worth of introductions has already been determined and well underway. Fender really has their act together with that, it’s impressive coming from a small business owner where I could change direction at any time.

I was asked to design a model for the Parallel Universe line last year. That came to fruition last week with the introduction of the Mágico Tele. We’ve discussed the California Special having potential, but as mentioned, it would be a couple years if so.

Thanks again, I’ll gladly pipe in when I feel I can contribute.

Cheers,
Ron

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am

First off, thanks for coming by and sharing some wisdom, Ron!

Man, I look at the California Special and I think, "A Jazzmaster and Robbie Robertson's bronze Strat had a baby and it's perfect."
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:19 pm

People went gaga for it when it was revealed 1 year ago, I was interested in one then... so another year at least before we start finding out when (if) I could actually get one - assuming it won't just be a custom shop price level! And assuming that vibrato is usable

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 pm

They have been available since their introduction as a Master Built-only guitar.
I have built many of them since.
That is the only way to obtain one at this time.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Yea, the California Special is a truly beautiful design. Hope Fender decides to make it a regular model in the line up (providing Mr. Thorn is okay with that.)
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.