Classic Player Jazzmaster vs Japan JM66 2010

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
blurr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Classic Player Jazzmaster vs Japan JM66 2010

Post by blurr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello. Just asking for professional advice.

I'm looking for jazzmaster as my main guitar for recording and gigging. Finally I'm choosing with these two models of guitars:

1) Classic Player Jazzmaster
https://reverb.com/item/15054681-fender ... ently-used

2) Japan JM66 Jazzmaster 2010
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Japan-J ... SwQVpapPak

Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to play this guitars in the shop cause there's no jazzmasters in my town. That's why I hope that you can advise and explain differences between the two models and tell why one is better/worse than another.

My preferences are:
  • a more traditional look and feel
  • I want to play some noise music with it using distortion and effects, but I use clean sounds too
  • I want to use the tremolo bar at large, to be honest I used to achieve that effect by bending the guitar neck
I know you are probably reading such questions all the time, but I haven't found enough information in other topics on forums to make my choice obvious. That's why i'm looking forward to your advice.

Thank you for your time!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player Jazzmaster vs Japan JM66 2010

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:33 pm

First of all. Till now I'm more of a Jag Player. So there are surely some folks knowing a lot more about these two specific guitars or even own one or both of them... I only played the CAR Japanese Matching Headstock JM of my former bandmate from time to time. I think it was a 2006 or 07 Model.

Mexican guitars have earned a far better reputation than they had somewhat 10 years ago.
For these two specific models:
Classic player has:
- a non traditional Trem position
- screw in trem arm
- a Tuneomatic Bridge
- something in between a JM and a P90 Pickup (so a bit hotter but also a bit less clear tones)
- as far as I remember a bit better electronics

The japanese one
- overall a closer appearance to vintage specs
- "correct" trem placement
- vintage style JM/Jag floating bridge (which can be a pain in the a** if not setup correctly or with too light strings! (Staytrem/Mastery upgrade suggested)
- electronics could be a bit of a weakspot.
- pickups are something like Strat pickups in JM size.
- lock-button trem system - but a bit whacky-er than the AVRI one

If you don't use the arm much it might not bug you much that you have a tuneomatic - but if you want to use the behind the bridge harmonics you might want the vintage correct distance (other tones!)
I found my japanese Jag pickups quite useless with Fuzz or Distortion - (feedback-alert) - I exchanged them and most of the electronics - now I love that guitar!

Optically I prefer the Tort on Black to white on Black! ;)
The Classic 60s series should get you quite close to vintage specs too!

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 pm

If these are the final candidates...
Buy the japanese one. Change the vibrato and bridge to mastery vibrato and mastery bridge with m2 post. You will want to change the pickups somepoint in future.

But i suggest you to look second hand. Japanese stuff are high quality especially i got bunch of strats of fender japan, i asure you they are better than mexican since 2018 they've changed the product line. Before them japanese and mexicans were quite equal... anyway, whatever you buy, have fun with it!

blurr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blurr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:33 pm
First of all. Till now I'm more of a Jag Player. So there are surely some folks knowing a lot more about these two specific guitars or even own one or both of them... I only played the CAR Japanese Matching Headstock JM of my former bandmate from time to time. I think it was a 2006 or 07 Model.

Mexican guitars have earned a far better reputation than they had somewhat 10 years ago.
For these two specific models:
Classic player has:
- a non traditional Trem position
- screw in trem arm
- a Tuneomatic Bridge
- something in between a JM and a P90 Pickup (so a bit hotter but also a bit less clear tones)
- as far as I remember a bit better electronics

The japanese one
- overall a closer appearance to vintage specs
- "correct" trem placement
- vintage style JM/Jag floating bridge (which can be a pain in the a** if not setup correctly or with too light strings! (Staytrem/Mastery upgrade suggested)
- electronics could be a bit of a weakspot.
- pickups are something like Strat pickups in JM size.
- lock-button trem system - but a bit whacky-er than the AVRI one

If you don't use the arm much it might not bug you much that you have a tuneomatic - but if you want to use the behind the bridge harmonics you might want the vintage correct distance (other tones!)
I found my japanese Jag pickups quite useless with Fuzz or Distortion - (feedback-alert) - I exchanged them and most of the electronics - now I love that guitar!

Optically I prefer the Tort on Black to white on Black! ;)
The Classic 60s series should get you quite close to vintage specs too!
Yes I planned to replace pickguard after purchase.The very idea was to change white pickguard for red Tort pickguard (it looks cooler). I've heard about the Classic 60s series, thought they're not in my budget. Many thanks for your elaborate reply and detailed overview. You made my choice easier.

blurr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blurr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 am

northernlights wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 pm
If these are the final candidates...
Buy the japanese one. Change the vibrato and bridge to mastery vibrato and mastery bridge with m2 post. You will want to change the pickups somepoint in future.

But i suggest you to look second hand. Japanese stuff are high quality especially i got bunch of strats of fender japan, i asure you they are better than mexican since 2018 they've changed the product line. Before them japanese and mexicans were quite equal... anyway, whatever you buy, have fun with it!
Bridge and pickups replacement is preety much what I planned to do in future. In fact I was considering second hand too, eventually used Japanese Jazzmaster became my final candidate. I must say I'm was confused how mixed opinions were on mexicans and japanese models. It seemed that mexicans have really good materials quality. And I've heard many opinions on materials of Japanese ones. I'm also considering mexican classic players? that were made before 2018 (I haven't heard about difference between quality of 2018 and eldest ones). Anyway, thanks for your advice and interesting facts.

casper
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by casper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 am

For traditional taste, I don't think you can go wrong with the Japanese Jazzmaster. It's got the more rounded fretboard, smaller frets, and correct trem placement. The Japanese instruments are such a great value IMO, I've owned some I thought were as good or better than more expensive American made Fenders. I've owned at least 6 different Japanese guitars and I haven't been disappointed with any of them (some of them did need a good set up when I got them of course). The Mexican Fenders I've owned have not been as bad as the reputation they have historically had suggests, but the Japanese Fenders have just had better play-ability and feel than the Mexican guitars I've owned.

blurr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blurr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 am

casper wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 am
For traditional taste, I don't think you can go wrong with the Japanese Jazzmaster. It's got the more rounded fretboard, smaller frets, and correct trem placement. The Japanese instruments are such a great value IMO, I've owned some I thought were as good or better than more expensive American made Fenders. I've owned at least 6 different Japanese guitars and I haven't been disappointed with any of them (some of them did need a good set up when I got them of course). The Mexican Fenders I've owned have not been as bad as the reputation they have historically had suggests, but the Japanese Fenders have just had better play-ability and feel than the Mexican guitars I've owned.
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I’m pretty sure about choosing a Japanese one.

blurr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blurr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 am

Many thanks to all for your help in picking the guitar. I'm already ordered JM66.

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm

casper wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 am
Yeah +1. Japanese craftmanship is very good and even better than mass production usa. The only difference is their thimbles are larger than vintage one i guess?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:13 pm

I had a JM66 for a while. It was a great guitar, but I sold it due to the 7.25 radius. I used to love it, but playing an SG with a 12" and other Fenders with 9.5 radii started to make the 7.25" feel alien to me.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:39 am

Another vote for the MIJ.

Just picked up an MIJ Traditional 60s Jazzmaster and I’m extremely happy with it. Compares very nicely with the AVRI Jazzmasters I’ve played. A few call outs...

- Neck profile is slightly shallower D” then the deeper AV necks. If you like chunky, this won’t be it.

- Same issue with MIJ pickups you’ve probably heard already, they’re just Strat pickups. Plan to upgrade these and you’ll be much happier. Just dropped some AV65s in mine and the sound improved significantly. More three dimensional, less brittle, improved clarity and dynamics.

- Fit and finish is fantastic. Yeah, it’s poly, so if that breaks your heart look elsewhere. Otherwise this guitar is RESONANT. The neck work is perfect, no fret issues, no dead spots, just a breeze.

- Upgraded to a mustang bridge, which changes the tone slightly, but not a necessary upgrade. I mostly like it for stability and consistency of string spacing. YMMV depending on how you play. To my ears, the original bridge is more articulate and open, the Mustang bridge is more focused and middy. That might be BS though, subjective.

- Trem is a little less sturdy feeling than the AVRI equivalent. Not a dealbreaker though. Doesn’t quite “resist” as nicely as my AVRI Jag’s trem so subtlety with the trem work can be a bit tougher. On the list for an upgrade but not necessary.