Favourite Fender Colour

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Favourite Fender Colour

Olympic White
5%
Black
2%
Fiesta Red
4%
Dakota Red
1%
Candy Apple Red
1%
Shell Pink
5%
Lake Placid Blue
9%
Daphne Blue
5%
Sonic Blue
7%
Ocean Turquoise
12%
Sherwood Green
14%
Seafoam Green
2%
Surf Green
4%
Burgundy Mist
9%
Charcoal Frost
7%
Shoreline Gold
1%
Firemist Gold
No votes
Firemist Silver
3%
Sunburst
4%
Other (can only fit 20 options in a poll)
6%

Total votes: 216

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Favourite Fender Colour

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am

I have been talking about these blasted Fender colors for so long I feel like I've seen all the arguments for and against certain colors-- even though it's all just subjective opinion and the only 'right' answer is your own personal one.

I voted Sherwood, but honestly I don't really seek it out anymore, and I think my preference for that color only applies to Jaguars and Jazzmasters. I don't think it sits very well on Strats, Teles, and basses.

Sheerwood also has like five different varieties, and it will change depending on the light. I appreciate its mysterious ways.
Here is my Jaguar's version (2008 Fender Custom Shop)

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am
I have been talking about these blasted Fender colors for so long I feel like I've seen all the arguments for and against certain colors-- even though it's all just subjective opinion and the only 'right' answer is your own personal one.

I voted Sherwood, but honestly I don't really seek it out anymore, and I think my preference for that color only applies to Jaguars and Jazzmasters. I don't think it sits very well on Strats, Teles, and basses.

Sheerwood also has like five different varieties, and it will change depending on the light. I appreciate its mysterious ways.
Absolutely beautiful :) I think I've worked out why I love Sherwood Green so much - with Fender colours really being old car colours, nothing can ever top British Racing Green for me, and Sherwood is about as close as you can get.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 pm

For me, this can't be decided without a pickguard. Some colors just don't go together in my opinion. That said, I chose Charcoal Frost, but it would be a tough decision between Charcoal Frost, Ice Blue Metallic, Firemist Silver, or Lake Placid Blue.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 am

Surf Green is the greatest thing that ever happened to eyes.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 am

There are so many great colors, there's no way I could ever pick a single favorite. I lean towards the darker metallics though; Sherwood, CFM, BMM, LPB, etc.. I can definitely pick my least favorite though - Surf Green is an abomination.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am

Need more pics of the whole thing, again (like I always ask for when you talk about/post it), for reasons. Thanks in advance can’t wait to see how my favorite boy is doing lately :)

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 am
There are so many great colors, there's no way I could ever pick a single favorite. I lean towards the darker metallics though; Sherwood, CFM, BMM, LPB, etc.. I can definitely pick my least favorite though - Surf Green is an abomination.
Don’t get me wrong - it’s straight up stupid as hell to me that all Surf Green guitars aren’t instead Sea Foam Green guitars, but still I’ll take surf green, especially on an old true Fender, over a bunch of other colors Fender’s used.

Still tho - surf green is just a less exciting foam green for me, like it just looks like the halfway point between SFG and Sonic Blue or whatever, just objectively not as good looking as either of those colors and really kind of unnecessary. It’s like if between CAR and Dakota Red there was a faded red color and maybe it looked vaguely metallic from 15 feet away but only just enough to be annoying and make you wish it were either of the colors it sits between on the palate, just seems kinda dumb to me. So reading this back yeah I think you may just be right in that Surf Green is fucking dumb as hell.

I’d love my VM Jag a million times more if it were SFG instead. It’s real weird, but when I leave the room to take a shower or eat or whatever and come back after a while, from right inside my doorway the guitar will have a more yellowed and thus closer to what I wish it was look to it, but if I stare at it long enough that effect goes away and it starts to almost look white. Super weird experience that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because I’m not a neurosurgeon. Wonder if there’s any kind of yellowed clear coat I could get and just wipe on over top of what’s already there without having to take the whole thing apart again and worrying about spraying it? Think I’m gonna look at some furniture stains today and see if I can find something that might make a little sense. I wanted to figure out a way to apply some variation of flake over top of it but that seemed so daunting and something I’d definitely not be equipped to handle.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Don’t get me wrong - it’s straight up stupid as hell to me that all Surf Green guitars aren’t instead Sea Foam Green guitars, but still I’ll take surf green, especially on an old true Fender, over a bunch of other colors Fender’s used.

Still tho - surf green is just a less exciting foam green for me, like it just looks like the halfway point between SFG and Sonic Blue or whatever, just objectively not as good looking as either of those colors and really kind of unnecessary. It’s like if between CAR and Dakota Red there was a faded red color and maybe it looked vaguely metallic from 15 feet away but only just enough to be annoying and make you wish it were either of the colors it sits between on the palate, just seems kinda dumb to me. So reading this back yeah I think you may just be right in that Surf Green is fucking dumb as hell.

I’d love my VM Jag a million times more if it were SFG instead. It’s real weird, but when I leave the room to take a shower or eat or whatever and come back after a while, from right inside my doorway the guitar will have a more yellowed and thus closer to what I wish it was look to it, but if I stare at it long enough that effect goes away and it starts to almost look white. Super weird experience that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because I’m not a neurosurgeon. Wonder if there’s any kind of yellowed clear coat I could get and just wipe on over top of what’s already there without having to take the whole thing apart again and worrying about spraying it? Think I’m gonna look at some furniture stains today and see if I can find something that might make a little sense. I wanted to figure out a way to apply some variation of flake over top of it but that seemed so daunting and something I’d definitely not be equipped to handle.
I'd be very surprised if that worked. Furniture stains are designed to go onto wood, not on top of a shiny finish.

But if you give it a go, take off the pickguard and try it on a bit of the finish that you wouldn't otherwise see first!

Ridgeback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ridgeback » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 am

IMO, I think you would only be happy with the results if you took it all apart and sprayed the amber clear coat over the surf green. I have a mid-70s Surf Green refin on a 64 strat that has yellowed but it looks nothing like the Seafoam on my thin skin Jag. A lot more blue in the Seafoam. I'd post pictures but they are both very hard to photograph accurately (for me at any rate).

Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tehz_ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 pm

My top five are Fiesta Red (that’s what I voted for, as it is my favorite), Dakota Red, Sonic Blue, Burgundy Mist, and Olympic White. Firemist Gold and Sherwood Green come in as runners up :)
Last edited by Tehz_ on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tehz_ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Also, I absolutely LOVE the transition-era “target bursts” - think 1964 - with the opaque yellow center and bold, unblended red stripe. I know a lot of people hate these, but I vastly prefer them to standard three-tone sunbursts.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 am
ThePearDream wrote:

I'd be very surprised if that worked. Furniture stains are designed to go onto wood, not on top of a shiny finish.

But if you give it a go, take off the pickguard and try it on a bit of the finish that you wouldn't otherwise see first!
D’oh and now you see why I didn’t have the confidence to try and make it all glittery haha. I stained an empty 2x12 Music Man thing and found the easiest way was just dumping some on a rag and scrubbing it on the wood. Looks real good so I just figured... I gotta do something because the color does nothing for me.
Ridgeback wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 am
IMO, I think you would only be happy with the results if you took it all apart and sprayed the amber clear coat over the surf green. I have a mid-70s Surf Green refin on a 64 strat that has yellowed but it looks nothing like the Seafoam on my thin skin Jag. A lot more blue in the Seafoam. I'd post pictures but they are both very hard to photograph accurately (for me at any rate).
I’d love to see it regardless! Thanks :)

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 am

It depends on the guitar model for me: I find metallics don't work on Teles well because of the lack of contours. They look best with either solid colours or natural finishes. My favourite finishes for anything non-Tele are probably the "mists": Burgundy Mist and both Firemists.

I just came here to mention one of my favourite Fender solid colours: Taos Turquoise

Looks nice on a JM too

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:17 am

Interesting to see the comments about Surf Green. A couple of years ago I thought it was awful. I'm not quite sure why things changed, but they did, and now it's one of my favourite colours for offsets. Still doesn't beat Sonic Blue though!

Maybe one day I'll learn to love Sherwood Green too, but as yet I still can't get into it.

Cheers!
J.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:33 pm

D’oh and now you see why I didn’t have the confidence to try and make it all glittery haha. I stained an empty 2x12 Music Man thing and found the easiest way was just dumping some on a rag and scrubbing it on the wood. Looks real good so I just figured... I gotta do something because the color does nothing for me.
i think you might get the effect you're after with a coat or two of tinted clear (like gets sprayed on maple necks n stuff)