Classic Player Jaguar Special

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
GGJaguar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm
Contact:

Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by GGJaguar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 am

What is the general consensus on the hotter pickups in this model? I kind of like the idea of a hotter pickup so this model is intriguing.

Thanks!

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by mbene085 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am

They're built like P90s, with bar magnets and screw polepieces. This gives them more mids and a less immediate string attack than vintage style Jazzmaster pickups. Whether you like that sort of thing depends on you. Plenty of people replace their JM pickups with P90 style ones, but plenty of people replace Classic Player pickups with vintage style ones.

They're well-made, but not to everyone's tastes. Do you have the chance to try one out in person? That's the only real way to tell if they'll work for you.

User avatar
601210
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:55 am

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by 601210 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am
They're built like P90s, with bar magnets and screw polepieces. This gives them more mids and a less immediate string attack than vintage style Jazzmaster pickups. Whether you like that sort of thing depends on you. Plenty of people replace their JM pickups with P90 style ones, but plenty of people replace Classic Player pickups with vintage style ones.

They're well-made, but not to everyone's tastes. Do you have the chance to try one out in person? That's the only real way to tell if they'll work for you.
He was asking about Jaguars, though. I'm not sure if I've heard about the Jaguar pickups being hotter as well, unless it's the humbucker ones?

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by mbene085 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 am

601210 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 am
mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am
They're built like P90s, with bar magnets and screw polepieces. This gives them more mids and a less immediate string attack than vintage style Jazzmaster pickups. Whether you like that sort of thing depends on you. Plenty of people replace their JM pickups with P90 style ones, but plenty of people replace Classic Player pickups with vintage style ones.

They're well-made, but not to everyone's tastes. Do you have the chance to try one out in person? That's the only real way to tell if they'll work for you.
He was asking about Jaguars, though. I'm not sure if I've heard about the Jaguar pickups being hotter as well, unless it's the humbucker ones?
Oh F me, I 100% read "Jazzmaster" when I read the OP!

Yes, the jaguar pickups are hotter but not P90 style. A lot of people seem happy with them.

User avatar
timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 am
Location: London

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by timiscott » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi, I've got one these and a Squier VM with AV65 pups in it. The AV pups are really beautiful but the CP ones are great too- they really sparkle when both pups are engaged and the hi-pass allows for a wide range of sounds. The CP pups are the same as the ones used in the 50th Anniversary, I believe.

User avatar
galaxy08
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by galaxy08 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

timiscott wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm
Hi, I've got one these and a Squier VM with AV65 pups in it. The AV pups are really beautiful but the CP ones are great too- they really sparkle when both pups are engaged and the hi-pass allows for a wide range of sounds. The CP pups are the same as the ones used in the 50th Anniversary, I believe.
I recently got a 50th Anniversary Jaguar and, yes, they are the same pickups as the Classic Player. To my ears, they sound fantastic -- full, clear, and super fat with distortion. Actually, the best distorted guitar sound I've played (paired with a '68 Princeton Reverb reissue).

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by timtam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Yep even Fender says the pickups are the same in CP and 50th anniv ... ;)
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... B_SISD.pdf
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... A_SISD.pdf

Hot ... 14k and 12k IIRC.

User avatar
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Post by leokula » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 am

I got a CP jag and I love those pickups!
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Post Reply