NGD: 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster, Black

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster, Black

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 am

sirspens wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:07 pm
Pictures!

I visited my local music shop again and noticed something I did not notice the first time I got my hands on one of them.
It looks quite alright with your oiled fretboard but without...so with a regular untreated pau ferro board it looks really ankward! The very first centimeter of the fretboard (before the nut) is laquered and so looks a lot darker then the rest of the board.
Is this the same with other Matching Headstock finishes? I never noticed it before.

zeero9
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zeero9 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 am

Stephen_42 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:28 am
Perhaps an unpopular opinion: I think pau ferro looks nice than rosewood.

It tends to have more character because of the stripes / streaks that aren't as obvious in rosewood, and especially after that oiling it looks beautiful!
Due to the near universal hatred for Pau Ferro, I’ve become almost afraid to voice my opinion: I prefer Pau Ferro to Rosewood for the same reasons as you stated. I even like the lighter, more orangish shades. But most of all I love the fine grained texture of Pau Ferro as opposed to the large pores in Rosewood.

The only thing I don’t like about Pau Ferro is how dry it seems to be, but then, given how it is naturally not an oily wood, I’m not sure if it’s actually a problem.

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm

zeero9 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 am
Stephen_42 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:28 am
Perhaps an unpopular opinion: I think pau ferro looks nice than rosewood.

It tends to have more character because of the stripes / streaks that aren't as obvious in rosewood, and especially after that oiling it looks beautiful!
Due to the near universal hatred for Pau Ferro, I’ve become almost afraid to voice my opinion: I prefer Pau Ferro to Rosewood for the same reasons as you stated. I even like the lighter, more orangish shades. But most of all I love the fine grained texture of Pau Ferro as opposed to the large pores in Rosewood.

The only thing I don’t like about Pau Ferro is how dry it seems to be, but then, given how it is naturally not an oily wood, I’m not sure if it’s actually a problem.
I like the rosewood look, but also don’t really care of the Pai Ferro look - as far as in concerned it’s just different. Feels the same to me. I have the same guitar in Daphne Blue and I can today that my fretboard was very light, it has only gotten darker the more I play it from my own oils. My two cents!

Ocelots
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ocelots » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 am

https://ibb.co/nPh9QMh
https://ibb.co/fCwwYwJ
https://ibb.co/nQbG3MN
https://ibb.co/7jBsWkq

You can see the pau ferro and its grain through the "binding."

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 am

Ocelots wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 am
https://ibb.co/nPh9QMh
https://ibb.co/fCwwYwJ
https://ibb.co/nQbG3MN
https://ibb.co/7jBsWkq

You can see the pau ferro and its grain through the "binding."
Painting binding on is super counter productive because it doesn't hold up.
What you're seeing is binding with scratches from scraping it down to the fretboard (or even from the fretboard radiussing) and dirt from playing / setup / oils / dust etc.

Scrape the binding with a fresh exacto blade with a bur on it and it'll disappear before your eyes.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

sitarzanmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sitarzanmann » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am

I've read that it's not necessarily a good thing to constantly oil your fretboard...you only really *need* to do this once or twice a year for unfinished boards like rosewood and ebony.

I'm willing to be proven wrong.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 am

sitarzanmann wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am
I've read that it's not necessarily a good thing to constantly oil your fretboard...you only really *need* to do this once or twice a year for unfinished boards like rosewood and ebony.

I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Well, OP just said he found Pau Ferro fretboards to be extra dry. I agree with him when he said you can't treat a Rosewood fretboard the same way you would a Pau Ferro one
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Would anyone feel better if Pau Ferro was called by one of it's other names, Bolivian Rosewood? I would.

Rosewood is such a generic term. There are many types of rosewood. Brazilian Rosewood is the one everyone wants, but has been on the hit list since 1992, and Indian rosewood, it's first substitute is close behind. Pau Ferro (Bolivian Rosewood) seems to be the current replacement leader, but there is Bubinga (African Rosewood) Chechen (Caribbean Rosewood) . Cocobolo is another alternative, but it doesn't get a "rosewood" designation. There are some others, but they are either too cost prohibitive, or too hard to get to use widely.

Industries outside musical instruments all seem to favor the "______ Rosewood" names rather than the more specific names.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Maybe it's because they focused on the "brazilian" part of the name and chose Pau Ferro because that's how we call it here in Brazil :D
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Sonichris wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Would anyone feel better if Pau Ferro was called by one of it's other names, Bolivian Rosewood? I would.

Rosewood is such a generic term. There are many types of rosewood. Brazilian Rosewood is the one everyone wants, but has been on the hit list since 1992, and Indian rosewood, it's first substitute is close behind. Pau Ferro (Bolivian Rosewood) seems to be the current replacement leader, but there is Bubinga (African Rosewood) Chechen (Caribbean Rosewood) . Cocobolo is another alternative, but it doesn't get a "rosewood" designation. There are some others, but they are either too cost prohibitive, or too hard to get to use widely.

Industries outside musical instruments all seem to favor the "______ Rosewood" names rather than the more specific names.
The irony is that cocobolo is a true rosewood (Dalbergia sp.) whereas morado/pau ferro, chechen, and bubinga are not rosewoods at all, and merely brown woods that get colloquial names of (____ rosewood) from the way they look when milled.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:32 am

G&L has been using Chechen and some of the boards have really nice figuring on them.
I don’t mind Pau Ferro. I wasn’t sure until I saw some in person.
I’d rather not have endangered wood being used to please cork sniffers.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don B » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 pm

That is a beautiful guitar. I would love to see one with a black/silver pearloid pickguard.