Squier J Mascis JM Availability

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier J Mascis JM Availability

Post by Danley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm

The Expanding Man wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 pm
This turned out to be the fault. After multiple switching, I eventually get a contact with the bridge pick up.

I'm also not too happy with the volume and tone pots - they seem to be either very quiet or very loud, with limited response between 3 and 7 on the dials.

I'm thinking of replacing all the electronics. I did this to a Squier Classic Vibe tele, and it was a good improvement. However, I ran into problems with the tele. The Stewmac rewiring kit had pots that were wider than the faceplate and knobs of the squier.

Has anybody rewired a JMJM? Were there any issues with the pots fitting the faceplate and knobs?
I think that's almost part of the deal with 1 meg pots, but you can swap linear for log taper and see if that helps - also try different value caps. I totally re-wired my Squier, but replaced the pickguard as well so no problem with holes - except keep in mind, the Squier rhythm circuit won't fit a US pickguard, even if the US pickguard fits the guitar.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Since you've already had a contact issue and this thing may have been sitting since 2012 I'd probably give the pots a squirt of Deoxit or similar contact cleaner before going the replacement route.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Danley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm
except keep in mind, the Squier rhythm circuit won't fit a US pickguard, even if the US pickguard fits the guitar.
Squier JMJMs will take US Jazzmaster pickguards without issues. I've bought 3 over the the past 5 years. The Vintage Modified JM has the roller pots bracket issue (fixable by buying a US bracket).
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 pm

vistavision wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 pm
Danley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm
except keep in mind, the Squier rhythm circuit won't fit a US pickguard, even if the US pickguard fits the guitar.
Squier JMJMs will take US Jazzmaster pickguards without issues. I've bought 3 over the the past 5 years. The Vintage Modified JM has the roller pots bracket issue (fixable by buying a US bracket).
Yep - The bracket part is what I was referring to.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

MjCartney
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MjCartney » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:58 pm

JMJM is a great guitar, but the electronics on mine were crap. My pickup selector switch went out fairly quickly. It was intermittent at first, and jostling it would bring it back for a bit, but it eventually stopped working and I replaced it. Main Volume pot was next to go, so I replaced that and the tone control.

I've done a few mods to mine:
- I put an AVRI Vibrato in it which I like a lot better, mainly for the lock button. I don't use it much, but feel good knowing its there.
- I replaced the pickups with Novaks. The stock pickups were good, but the Novaks are something else.
- I've replaced the bridge studs with the ones from the GFS roller bridge. I had read in another thread that the bridge was a fit for the guitar so I ordered one. It is not a fit for this guitar, the stud spacing is slightly longer on the GFS, but the studs from the bridge fit the inserts and the diameter of the knurled part is small enough that I can use AVRI pickguards without having to enlarge the holes for the studs, so I swapped 'em.
- I've bought a few AVRI pick guards and they all have fit okay. I didn't have an issue with the stock roller pot bracket, it fit fine.
- I replaced all the electronics with quality pots, switches, jacks and cloth wiring.

I'm interested in putting a Mastery Bridge on it, but didn't want to go through the hassle of doweling it right now. I'm not unhappy with the stock bridge at the moment, I just think it would feel better with a Mastery, so I'm holding off for a bit. Anyone care to share their experience with popping an M1 on a JMJM?

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 pm

The vibrato was the worst part of my Mascis - it just felt like junk in every way (not helped by the tune-o-matic). Not a huge surprise, that's a costly piece for a low budget guitar, but it definitely would have had to go if I had kept the JM.