Fender Pawn Shop Super-Sonic Neck Profile

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Pawn Shop Super-Sonic Neck Profile

Post by bmorepunk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Has anybody actually measured the neck thickness (1st/12th frets) of the Fender Pawn Shop Super-Sonics? I like thick necks and want to know if the references I've found in other threads ("quite thick neck" and "thicker than the Squier") line up with what I think is thick enough.

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Pawn Shop Super-Sonic Neck Profile

Post by loveinathens » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Paging Wadeaminute

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am

I haven't measured mine but it's a significantly chunkier profile than most any Fender or Squier offset neck I've encountered. That being said, it's a touch more peaked and not as girthy as say the Warmoth '59 roundback profile.

This is the best pic I've got of the neck profile (and it's admittedly not all that useful):
I'll try to remember to put a tape measure to it tonight if someone else can't provide the info before then.
Last edited by Sid Nitzerglobin on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am

Much chunkier than the Squier variant. Surprisingly chunky tbh...I liked it though!

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm

My cheap calipers seem to be toast but by the tape measure and eyeball I get spot on 1" at the nut and I'd say 13/16" at the 12th on mine w/ a mild flattening of the C from the nut to somewhere around the 9th.

It's a nice feeling neck to my hand. I prefer satin finishes to gloss, but it's smooth and basically frictionless if semi-plastic feeling. It did need just about every fret corner smoothed out when I got it a few months ago, but I've seen/felt much worse on much more expensive guitars.

bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bmorepunk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Appreciate the input, guys.

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm

If you check my Super-Sonic thread, on page 6, there are nice pictures of the width at the nut for both, but not the profile, per se:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87333&start=75

As for my opinions of the difference in neck profile, I would say that the Squiers are tiny C-shape, and the Fenders are a more bulky C-shape. The Fenders don't have much for shoulders, and are much deeper than the Squiers, but aren't as deep as a baseball bat neck. So not a Les Paul 1958 shape, and not a 1960 shape - in between (but not a 1959).

Another way to look at it is that they are a deeper C than the regular modern Strat or Tele neck shape, but not a 1952 Tele, nor a 1970s D-shape.
(Hopefully, this is helping from multiple angles.)

I only have one of the Fenders now, and six of the Squiers. I kept my purple sparkle Fender and have it set up as a 12-string, which is perfect, because what you would want for a 12-string Squier is a wider and a bit deeper neck. So I am pleased.

My two favourite (and contrasting) neck profiles are Squier Super-Sonics and a 1958 Les Paul fatty. The Fender Super-Sonics are 80% of the way from the former to the latter.

I sold my extra white Squier Super-Sonic to Nick Reinhart of Tera Melos. He could have had all the Fenders he wanted, but still prefers the Japanese 20-year-old Squiers. I saw him play live here in Toronto a few weeks back (guestlist!), and he is amazing on his (now with a Roland synth pickup). We are both hoping that he gets a signature model Super-Duper-Sonic someday.

bmorepunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bmorepunk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 am

wadeaminute wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm
If you check my Super-Sonic thread, on page 6, there are nice pictures of the width at the nut for both, but not the profile, per se:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87333&start=75

As for my opinions of the difference in neck profile, I would say that the Squiers are tiny C-shape, and the Fenders are a more bulky C-shape. The Fenders don't have much for shoulders, and are much deeper than the Squiers, but aren't as deep as a baseball bat neck. So not a Les Paul 1958 shape, and not a 1960 shape - in between (but not a 1959).

Another way to look at it is that they are a deeper C than the regular modern Strat or Tele neck shape, but not a 1952 Tele, nor a 1970s D-shape.
(Hopefully, this is helping from multiple angles.)

I only have one of the Fenders now, and six of the Squiers. I kept my purple sparkle Fender and have it set up as a 12-string, which is perfect, because what you would want for a 12-string Squier is a wider and a bit deeper neck. So I am pleased.

My two favourite (and contrasting) neck profiles are Squier Super-Sonics and a 1958 Les Paul fatty. The Fender Super-Sonics are 80% of the way from the former to the latter.

I sold my extra white Squier Super-Sonic to Nick Reinhart of Tera Melos. He could have had all the Fenders he wanted, but still prefers the Japanese 20-year-old Squiers. I saw him play live here in Toronto a few weeks back (guestlist!), and he is amazing on his (now with a Roland synth pickup). We are both hoping that he gets a signature model Super-Duper-Sonic someday.
That's super helpful, thanks. I have a Les Paul Studio that by measurements seems to be close to the 58 Les Paul, while it almost feels like a bit much my SG isn't much smaller and is my favorite. The shoulders on the Les Paul are a little hefty compared to the SG.