new old guitar day (gather round for story time osg)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

new old guitar day (gather round for story time osg)

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:15 am

once upon a time. i was a bass player in a band with 2 guitarists. one of our guitar players wanted to get into offsets. this was just as the squier vintage modified series came out. he was a big fan of mudhoney so wanted to try a mustang. he was hoping for a dakota red one but this was when shops could hardly keep the VM in stock. so he settled for a sonic blue. this became his main guitar.

later down the line, he replaced the single coils with hotrail clones. this turned out to work for him 100% better.
shortly after this practice, we met the japanese band taffy who gave stuart one of their stickers. he put it on the guitar and eve since then, the guitar was known as the taffystang.

about 6 months after that, stuart sold taffystang to arri on here (hi arri) and arri kept it for a while and did a few more mods. stuart did miss his main guitar and eventually, i brought it back for him. sadly, our band broke up around that time and he wasn't really feeling musical anymore.

fast forward a year. he messages me saying he's thinking of selling taffystang. my first response was "i'll take it.... again" we worked out a deal on the guitar because i already bought it back for him for under market value, i would pay up to market value and get the guitar (it was only like £20) so for the first time in over a year. i see the taffystang.
oh. well not for me. *2 hours later*
much better. but how does she look with my other 2 mustangs?

i do think it looks a little plain at the moment. part of me is tempted to add a taffy sticker like what it once had. part of me wants a sticker of rei from evangelion (it will fit the theme of my other 2 mustangs) but part of me think's it's had enough stickers.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: new old guitar day (gather round for story time osg)

Post by HNB » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 am

Love it! (And EVA)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 am

HNB wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 am
Love it! (And EVA)
knew you'd comment at some point.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 pm

There's a decent amt. of anime fandom on this forum. Looks like it already has a 'real' Mustang bridge?

(I keep wanting to put a sticker of Tomoko Kuroki on what else- my cheap black Yamaha.)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Danley wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 pm
There's a decent amt. of anime fandom on this forum. Looks like it already has a 'real' Mustang bridge?

(I keep wanting to put a sticker of Tomoko Kuroki on what else- my cheap black Yamaha.)
yup. it was a bridge i pulled out of a mustang a while ago.

and dont pull off the tomoko sticker. she's fucking adorable. plus in the dub she's voiced by monica rial. i dunno what it is about her voice but i could listen to it all day.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Hah - I haven't put the sticker on yet, just have a thought to do it. The only reason I don't is because I don't want to ruin it with the sweat of my arm.

Never listened to the dub. The manga is AMAZING actually.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 am

Wait, you've managed to install what seems to be a filterton in a Mustang? I always thought the body wasn't thick enough for that. Please tell me I'm wrong and can finally assemble my dream guitar! :w00t:
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:06 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 am
Wait, you've managed to install what seems to be a filterton in a Mustang? I always thought the body wasn't thick enough for that. Please tell me I'm wrong and can finally assemble my dream guitar! :w00t:
ah you're talking about the seelestang. it's not a filtertron. it's a artec pickup i pulled out my silver jagmaster. i think it's just a humbucker that they voiced to have elements of that sound without actually being a real filtertron. also, it's a tight fit. i dont even need height adjustment screws in there. but it works in the guitar. it's nice and big sounding but still clear.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:09 am

Reviving this thread just to say Taffy are the coolest. For some reason they're bigger in the UK than in Japan.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:12 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:09 am
Reviving this thread just to say Taffy are the coolest. For some reason they're bigger in the UK than in Japan.
yeah. when we seen them live, they were super nice. we had our friend essi with us, who has dwarfism and cant stand for too long, she asked the drummer "can i sit there?" he ran downstairs, grabbed a comfy seat and carried it back up for her.