WHICH JAGUAR PICK UPS FOR MY CIJ?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
valerio66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

WHICH JAGUAR PICK UPS FOR MY CIJ?

Post by valerio66 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 am

ciao!
I have a CIJ Jaguar 2002 with creamery pick ups and mastery bridge, well I bought it used and and I am not satisfied about the sound which is not beefy and clear, it goes on the middle frequencies but without beef, and trying to raise the volume with my reverb deluxe 65 the pups go on feedback so I believe that these creamery pups have to be substituted with more perfoming ones.

I have also a custom shop jaguar with abby pickups that perform a very bright and beefy sound.
The fact is that the custom shop I bought used too, has a fat neck so I would prefer to use the CIJ that fits better with my hands but trying to have the best sound possible. I know that there are big difference CIJ / Custom shop, the custom shop one is heavier and this could help a lot to have a beefy sound, while the CIJ is lighter, also the wood counts to have a BIG sound eh eh.

I thought about replacing the creamery pups with fender original 62, I used that on a SQ I had and the sound was brilliant, well I m looking for a bright sound with more beef. What do you think? I am not such a great expert, I know there are lots of Jaguar type of pick ups, I believe that Fender ones are still the best, maybe seymour duncan would do, they are built in a similar way to the fenders.

Ok I wait your suggestion, thank you!

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: WHICH JAGUAR PICK UPS FOR MY CIJ?

Post by jdr1014 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Well, first of all, a slightly belated "Welcome" to the OSG! :)

While I don't have a specific recommendation for you, I installed AV65 pickups in my 50th Anniversary Jag and am very happy with them for that "classic" Jag sound I was looking for. You may be looking for something different. though.

Absent the opportunity to actually try or hear different pickups that might be of interest, I'd do YouTube searches. As far as current stock Fender pickups You might be able to actually play some new models if there is a shop near you. The extremes would be hotter pickups in the Classic Player series and Vintage style pickups that come in the Classic 60s Laquer or American Vintage series guitars.

Also, there is a thread in the Tech/Setup subforum here in the OSG that has lots of good pickup info.

Good Luck!

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 am

Why not contact Jaimie at Creamery?

I got some Rick pickups from him that were really nice and he makes a ton of different Jaguar pickups.

If you have one of his set and are able to identify it I bet it would be very easy for the two of you to work out what you should have instead of the current set. Since you have a common point of reference.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am

I put a set of Fender Pure Vintage 65s in my Squire VM and it sounds soooo good. I can't recommend them enough for JMs and Jags.

valerio66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valerio66 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Thank you to all for the interesting suggestions! Then I bought and installed fender 62 pure vintage pups and the sound is very improved!
ciao! :)