American Performer Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Performer Jazzmaster

Post by Futuron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:26 pm

vistavision wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 pm
wooderson wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm
vistavision wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:54 pm
Corporate bullshit fake Jazzmaster
The Jazzmaster really sold out, bro. You should have heard their earlier stuff.
That's actually really funny. "I got all Jazzmaster's old split 7 inchers with Jaguar on the flip."
The "Corporate bullshit fake Jazzmaster" was the last 4 words of the comment before mine. I was being snarky by making the first four of mine.
Don't forget to add the corporate bullshit fake mustang to the collection too! (although I think it has been received a bit better)

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Futuron wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:26 pm
vistavision wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 pm
wooderson wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm

The Jazzmaster really sold out, bro. You should have heard their earlier stuff.
That's actually really funny. "I got all Jazzmaster's old split 7 inchers with Jaguar on the flip."
The "Corporate bullshit fake Jazzmaster" was the last 4 words of the comment before mine. I was being snarky by making the first four of mine.
Don't forget to add the corporate bullshit fake mustang to the collection too! (although I think it has been received a bit better)
I decided to wait until NAMM so I could do it all at once. Plus I was feeling lazy.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 pm

I really wanted to give this a chance, but it's truly a stinker. The only good thing about it would be the penny color, which is very nice, but they negated any good will from that by also making a SATIN lake placid blue, which is the worst excuse for LPB ever.

Also, I don't know if anyone has caught this, but they have new Yosemite pickups. Specifically voiced for each instrument! They have managed to make the Jazzmaster coils even taller and narrower than the V-Mod pickups! :fp:

Top to bottom:
American Performer Yosemite (6.9/7.1KΩ)
American Professional V-Mod (7.5/8.3KΩ)
FCS '62 RI Jazzmaster (8.1/8.3KΩ)

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:30 pm

tammyw wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 pm
Also, I don't know if anyone has caught this, but they have new Yosemite pickups. Specifically voiced for each instrument! They have managed to make the Jazzmaster coils even taller and narrower than the V-Mod pickups! :fp:

Top to bottom:
American Performer Yosemite (6.9/7.1KΩ)
American Professional V-Mod (7.5/8.3KΩ)
FCS '62 RI Jazzmaster (8.1/8.3KΩ)

Wow, looks like they're boldly recycling the vaunted MIJ Jazzmaster pickups! I hear the sound of glass breaking even now...

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am
i commented on it in the jazzmasters & jaguars group on facebook but i'll copy and paste my comment

"so its a fender jagmaster. i mean, im all for it, i love jagmasters and im glad they finally stopped messing about with the selector switch placement (it belongs on the bottom) and the colours are cool. sadly, after recently trying the G&L donner kebab or whatever it's called. this would have to be better for the same price. which is highly unlikely."

also first person to find a comment from the gear page reading along the lines of "at last, a jazzmaster done right" get's a prize.... of crippling depression
im still amazed no one posted a link to the gear page. was the prize too low? how about crippling depression and loosing all faith in mankind?

honestly, i dont hate it. but i see why people do. im sure in the eyes of many of you, this is the perversion of a jazzmaster in order to get it to fit a definition to make it more accessable. but let's be honest, this might be a guitar that gets new people into offsets. but given it's price range, most likely not.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:36 am
Thank God Fender finally made a Jazzmaster you could perform with. Previous Jazzmasters were only good for placing on a stand behind you while you sipped Lady Grey tea and ate finger sandwiches with cucumber and crème fraiche.

I'm just clowning because this guitar sucks.
This is a very true statement, I think these days the only credible place to play a traditional Fender Jazzmaster is in the tea room from The Love Witch sitting next to the harpist.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 am

I think Larry’s point is a good one.

What us fey indie types tend to forget, with the inept tuneless racket we call music, is that there is a whole musical world out there where people can actually play the guitar properly, like solos, scales and something called shredding (wtf ..... ?) So it’s only right and fair that Fender have accommodated them with a Jazzmaster that you can make ‘proper’ music on.

John Squier of the Stone Roses knew this all along, of course!

I think I might play him at his own game by having a random Strat trem routed into one of my JMs somewhere, perhaps take out those pointless upper switches and pop it there.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:46 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am
i commented on it in the jazzmasters & jaguars group on facebook but i'll copy and paste my comment

"so its a fender jagmaster. i mean, im all for it, i love jagmasters and im glad they finally stopped messing about with the selector switch placement (it belongs on the bottom) and the colours are cool. sadly, after recently trying the G&L donner kebab or whatever it's called. this would have to be better for the same price. which is highly unlikely."

also first person to find a comment from the gear page reading along the lines of "at last, a jazzmaster done right" get's a prize.... of crippling depression
im still amazed no one posted a link to the gear page. was the prize too low? how about crippling depression and loosing all faith in mankind?

honestly, i dont hate it. but i see why people do. im sure in the eyes of many of you, this is the perversion of a jazzmaster in order to get it to fit a definition to make it more accessable. but let's be honest, this might be a guitar that gets new people into offsets. but given it's price range, most likely not.
There are at least 8 comments on the TGP thread from people saying they’re happy Fender is doing the Strat vibrato JM.
One dude even went so far as to say Fender are finally making a ‘modern Jazzmaster’. Nevermind the fact that the Jazzmaster Vibrato was produced a few years after the Strat vibrato. Oh my.
I have yet to have tuning stability issues with any JM or Jag that wasn’t the nut’s fault. I don’t get how these dudes trash the JM unit so harshly on TGP.
I see these comments and I wonder what kind of horrific lemons people manage to find when I live in the middle of nowhere and have only owned floor models and forum sale offsets and yet to have one that didn’t hold tune really well. Could play the hell out of the vibrato and still be dead on afterwards. Leave it sitting for a few weeks and pick it up and it’s still in tune.
I don’t get it.
Are these people just dissing the whole system because of the odd buzzing bridge? Are they even experienced with a proper JM? Are they all trying to use .08s?
I’ve had many guitars with Strat vibratos. They’re trickier to set up and maintain, in my experience. I usually block them actually.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.