The 60th Anniversary Classic Jazzmaster Project

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The 60th Anniversary Classic Jazzmaster Project

Post by station_2_station » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 pm

BobDarren1 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm
UPDATE!

After an exhausting day, I came home tonight only to be greeted by the package of my new AM PRO bridge!
Got it up stairs, replaced the bridge. Took the tremolo off and adjusted it so it would sit higher. Re-strung, adjusted intonation.
and Wow! so good.
Such an improvement. Guitar sounds better, and plays better.
I dont feel like I'm shredding my fingers on those frets anymore.
Just feel's sturdier.
Thank you Jesterpunk68 for the tip about darrenriley.com.
I was going to get a real vintage mint guard or at least a relic'd mint
but I think I'm just gonna grab one of these off darren riley for like $38
great price!
I'll take photos soon!
Thanks for the honest run down, I went through the thread, I strongly considered this guitar. Seeing they sent you a free version, and you feel that you this way indicate to me my money is probably better spent on an Ernie Ball St Vincent, Gibson or maybe just keep a Jaguar. Sorry if this sounds frustrated, I just don't know how Fender cannot get a freakin JM right. The AO is a huge consideration but the price is intense. If you have any positive results let me know, super informal reading this.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:22 am

Thanks for the honest run down, I went through the thread, I strongly considered this guitar. Seeing they sent you a free version, and you feel that you this way indicate to me my money is probably better spent on an Ernie Ball St Vincent, Gibson or maybe just keep a Jaguar. Sorry if this sounds frustrated, I just don't know how Fender cannot get a freakin JM right. The AO is a huge consideration but the price is intense. If you have any positive results let me know, super informal reading this.

I think it just depends on what you're looking for. What were the reason's you wanted this guitar? It's a very cool guitar, not the best, but it's pretty sick. The biggest problems for me were the bridge and tremolo. I've replaced the bridge with an AM PRO mustang bridge and it's playing 10x better than it was with the stock bridge it came with. There's still some buzzing from the trem, and I can hang with that for now, but eventually I would love to get an AM PRO trem, or an AVRI. I wouldn't go as far as saying they didn't get the Jazzmaster right. It's a Jazzmaster for sure. Does it feel as sturdy and solid and expensive as a MIA? no, but it's got some pretty sick features. It's got a nitro finish which is definitely a perk. The pickups I can definitely hang with. and the binding and block inlays are sick. If you don't mind throwing in some extra money on a new bridge I'd say it's worth it. But if you're wanting something that feels a little nicer just to play I'd go with the AM PRO Jazz. It's only a $350 difference. Those V-mod pickups are niiice. I like those a lot. Only thing I wasn't too into was the no rhythm circuit and also the nuts on those are a littler wider, so wider nut and flat 9.5" radius wasn't super choice for me. . But that's me I'm more of a vintage kind of guy.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:56 am

2. Okay, your comment on the $1k figure is what compelled me to respond to your thread. I see I have not explained it well enough. Just one word, inflation. Things just cost more these days. Because I'm in Asia, I've always had to convert to and fro the US dollar, so there's never been been a magical figure for me. I've seen the price of a Mexican standard doubled through the years. Also, Mexican Fenders are not considered budget anymore. That's your Chinese and Indonesian made Squiers. There are even Fender branded guitars made in China. From what I've observed, Fender prices MIM above Japanese guitars. Your disappointment in a guitar priced at this range not performing up to your expectations is valid, however IMO this is skewed by an impression on pricing that is not in line with current trends. For example, do you know that Ibanez sells a "Premium" line that's made in Indonesia, with street prices of USD$1300 and beyond?

3. That link is correct. I know Fender describes it as vintage-style. but if you zoom into the pic, you can see it has Mustang-style saddles with height adjustment screws. They do have arguably better performing parts for MIM guitars, they even put them into much cheaper models. They just chose to go with vintage for the anniversary line, so it takes more effort to make them work right. It's not a matter of which bridge is nicer or cheaper. Supposedly the casual player going for a Player series doesn't want to deal with a vintage bridge(saddles), but someone paying more for an anniversary model wants a vintage bridge and is willing to deal with its complexities. Why did they use a 9.5" fretboard radius then? Maybe to set it apart from the AVRI models.
I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. I've spent so many years obsessing and buying vintage guitars, I haven't been paying attention to the prices of new models. I just bought a brand new jag, and now I have this jazz so I was a little confused on how MIM's got so expensive. When I was a kid anything that expensive was MIA and that was it. You have to understand this is when AVRI was in it's prime and all us poor long haired cretin kids would just dream about owning an American made Fender. "One day.." we'd say, right before ripping into a butchered jimi hendrix solo on our MIM or squire strat and 25w Crate amp that most likely came in a "bundle" that your mom bought you for christmas.

Oh interesting, that's like the bridge that was mentioned before, seems like that would be a good bridge. Yea it makes sense why they would put it on the anniversary line. Again the term "replica" comes to mind. A consumer must have to wonder, am I paying this much money for a guitar that plays really well, or a guitar that is replicating a guitar that plays really well? For me, the way I look at it, I payed $70 for a new more sturdy reliable bridge that made the guitar feel and play much better and probably will forever VS paying $70 to get the guitar set up and make that bridge work for the time being but after some time on the road it could not sound so good.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 am

BobDarren1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:22 am

I think it just depends on what you're looking for. What were the reason's you wanted this guitar? It's a very cool guitar, not the best, but it's pretty sick. The biggest problems for me were the bridge and tremolo. I've replaced the bridge with an AM PRO mustang bridge and it's playing 10x better than it was with the stock bridge it came with. There's still some buzzing from the trem, and I can hang with that for now, but eventually I would love to get an AM PRO trem, or an AVRI. I wouldn't go as far as saying they didn't get the Jazzmaster right. It's a Jazzmaster for sure. Does it feel as sturdy and solid and expensive as a MIA? no, but it's got some pretty sick features. It's got a nitro finish which is definitely a perk. The pickups I can definitely hang with. and the binding and block inlays are sick. If you don't mind throwing in some extra money on a new bridge I'd say it's worth it. But if you're wanting something that feels a little nicer just to play I'd go with the AM PRO Jazz. It's only a $350 difference. Those V-mod pickups are niiice. I like those a lot. Only thing I wasn't too into was the no rhythm circuit and also the nuts on those are a littler wider, so wider nut and flat 9.5" radius wasn't super choice for me. . But that's me I'm more of a vintage kind of guy.

Hey! Thank you for your reply!! I really appreciate it, oh man I do love more about this guitar than not, and the bridge on these things always need fixing even the Am Pros, well not so much! Anyhow my main concern was I heard the Pau Ferro quality is not really the highest. I have tried some out in person, I can't tell a big difference. I agree with you I think the electronics, block inlays and radius are all the high points to this guitar. I'm not a wood snob either, just very used to Rosewood on JMs.

However taking what you said into consideration, I should give this a good thought. I love the Blonde model in particular, as well the Black I'm a fool for matching headstocks. The electronics seem to be spot on for the stuff I use, fuzz, light distortion, and modulation.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 am

Hey! Thank you for your reply!! I really appreciate it, oh man I do love more about this guitar than not, and the bridge on these things always need fixing even the Am Pros, well not so much! Anyhow my main concern was I heard the Pau Ferro quality is not really the highest. I have tried some out in person, I can't tell a big difference. I agree with you I think the electronics, block inlays and radius are all the high points to this guitar. I'm not a wood snob either, just very used to Rosewood on JMs.

However taking what you said into consideration, I should give this a good thought. I love the Blonde model in particular, as well the Black I'm a fool for matching headstocks. The electronics seem to be spot on for the stuff I use, fuzz, light distortion, and modulation.
yeah this my first Pau Ferro fretboard, so I don’t really have anything else to compare it to. It does feel more dense and punchy which is common reviews about rosewood vs Pau Ferro. I’m not sure on the quality. I’m not sure it’s the highest , it is a MIM but I havnt noticed anything wrong or hindering.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 am

BobDarren1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 am

yeah this my first Pau Ferro fretboard, so I don’t really have anything else to compare it to. It does feel more dense and punchy which is common reviews about rosewood vs Pau Ferro. I’m not sure on the quality. I’m not sure it’s the highest , it is a MIM but I havnt noticed anything wrong or hindering.
Good to hear, I'm super torn on that Vintage Blonde, a TVL or a Johnny Marr Jag..!
I know the PF comes out in light-dark hues so I feel like it might look really nice on that Blonde. However my main concern would be could it handle fuzz and such.. have you gone through any of that yet with yours?

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Good to hear, I'm super torn on that Vintage Blonde, a TVL or a Johnny Marr Jag..!
I know the PF comes out in light-dark hues so I feel like it might look really nice on that Blonde. However my main concern would be could it handle fuzz and such.. have you gone through any of that yet with yours?
I think I see where you're going with guitar choice.
I own two out of 3 of the guitars you just mentioned.
First I think you gotta choose whether you want a Jag or Jazz. Personally I think I'm more of Jag guy, which I feel like is the least popular choice. But something about the shorter neck and pickups are more fun for me.
I've never played the TVL in person, but just reading the specs I think it might be a better choice out of the Jazz's. Depends if you like that color or not though. The specs check out with the 7.25" radius, it's already got one of these mustang bridges, and from the looks of it, looks like they got a nice trem on there. If you like that vintage blonde look on the AC Jazzmaster go with that tho. Buy a new bridge and see how you feel about the trem and you'll have a rad guitar. I think it handles fuzz pretty damn well. I feel you, I feel like no one talks about how guitar's handle fuzz or they always just throw some like overdrive on in demo videos BUT THATS NOT ENOUGH! lol
I thought it handled my fuzz's pretty well, and that's really important for me. Especially when I click it into the rhythm circuit with the tone rolled down a little it gets pretty creamy.
As far as a better guitar, my Johnny Marr is the shit. It's definitely my second favorite guitar, if not first, that I own. But I think I found a particularly good Johnny Marr. I've calipered the neck and it's a little skinnier then other Johnny Marr's so maybe that has something to do with it. Only thing I dont like about my JM is how it handles fuzz and distortion. I recently adjusted the height of the pickups to where I liked how it sounded with fuzz, but ultimately I think I'm planning on throwing some Mojo pickups into it. I measured the output of a 1962 Jag that I found at a store and Im going to try match those pickups because they had a higher output. The JM pickups sound so sick clean, I love what Johnny Marr did with the bareknuckles but I just need something a little different for when I punch on the fuzz, which is a lot of the time. I'm willing to go that extra step because honestly the JM jag is such a sick guitar. Also since the JM doesn't have a rhythm circuit, I think I'm going to make one of the switches a "dark" switch that "beefs up" the tone a little so when I click on the fuzz, I'll flip that switch for some low end in my fuzz tone.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm

BobDarren1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
I've never played the TVL in person, but just reading the specs I think it might be a better choice out of the Jazz's. Depends if you like that color or not though. The specs check out with the 7.25" radius, it's already got one of these mustang bridges, and from the looks of it, looks like they got a nice trem on there.
The TVL has a unique bridge with its own part number ...
BRIDGE ASSY TROY VAN L JZMSTER 7702080000

It has chrome-plated brass Mustang saddles, as well as the Marr bridge's anti-sink nylon bushings on the bottom of the posts (like on Staytrem). The bridge height grub screws also look to be a slightly beefier gauge, again like the Marr.
https://reverb.com/au/item/7276018-fend ... ang-bridge

The TVL trem is 0054466000, ie same as AVRI.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Timtam always with the facts! I love it .
super cool, that TVL seems really cool. I love that ox blood but I feel like they should have done more colors like the JM Jag

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:39 pm

BobDarren1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
I think I see where you're going with guitar choice.
I own two out of 3 of the guitars you just mentioned.
First I think you gotta choose whether you want a Jag or Jazz. Personally I think I'm more of Jag guy, which I feel like is the least popular choice. But something about the shorter neck and pickups are more fun for me.
I've never played the TVL in person, but just reading the specs I think it might be a better choice out of the Jazz's. Depends if you like that color or not though. The specs check out with the 7.25" radius, it's already got one of these mustang bridges, and from the looks of it, looks like they got a nice trem on there. If you like that vintage blonde look on the AC Jazzmaster go with that tho. Buy a new bridge and see how you feel about the trem and you'll have a rad guitar. I think it handles fuzz pretty damn well. I feel you, I feel like no one talks about how guitar's handle fuzz or they always just throw some like overdrive on in demo videos BUT THATS NOT ENOUGH! lol
I thought it handled my fuzz's pretty well, and that's really important for me. Especially when I click it into the rhythm circuit with the tone rolled down a little it gets pretty creamy.
As far as a better guitar, my Johnny Marr is the shit. It's definitely my second favorite guitar, if not first, that I own. But I think I found a particularly good Johnny Marr. I've calipered the neck and it's a little skinnier then other Johnny Marr's so maybe that has something to do with it. Only thing I dont like about my JM is how it handles fuzz and distortion. I recently adjusted the height of the pickups to where I liked how it sounded with fuzz, but ultimately I think I'm planning on throwing some Mojo pickups into it. I measured the output of a 1962 Jag that I found at a store and Im going to try match those pickups because they had a higher output. The JM pickups sound so sick clean, I love what Johnny Marr did with the bareknuckles but I just need something a little different for when I punch on the fuzz, which is a lot of the time. I'm willing to go that extra step because honestly the JM jag is such a sick guitar. Also since the JM doesn't have a rhythm circuit, I think I'm going to make one of the switches a "dark" switch that "beefs up" the tone a little so when I click on the fuzz, I'll flip that switch for some low end in my fuzz tone.
Ah very good to know, thank you for your well thought out reply, I kept hitting a wall. I spent a month working on somethings with Fender to hit a wall, so I think I have just been getting exhausted from thee hunt. I really dig the Johnny Marr, but alas I use too much fuzz, for clean and modulation absolutely its on the list! That being said its odd, I feel like I still want to own a Jazzmaster but at heart I am a Jaguar guy. I spent 10 years playing an old MIM Classic Player and played it to death, difficult finding the specs I want nowadays at certain price points. I will keep in mind what you said. I am heavily tempted to go pick up a St V after having no help from Fender. Its like they are slowly losing touch with their product, and consumer base. I still love that blonde no lies. For the record definitley a Jaguar guy. Thank you again for the kickass reply, seriously! Being mixed on Fender I think their best options might be the Johnny Marr and the TVL, I wish there were more colors though. The old J Masics is amazing, with the Purple Sparkle.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm

What is your price rang? I’m not sure anything about the St V guitar just that Jack White has one.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm

BobDarren1 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm
What is your price rang? I’m not sure anything about the St V guitar just that Jack White has one.
About 2,000$ I was about a year late saving to picking up an AVRI JM, or Jaguar. Sorry for the late reply, yeah its a weird position, I liked the St V for the ergonomics and design but still would much prefer finding a Jaguar, or Jazzmaster that resonates with me. I like her music but yeah the guitar is seemingly overpriced. Still going back and forth about maybe giving the 60th Anni JM a shot, I wish the American Originals were worth the price gap but I can't see too much improved let alone some odd choices in colors.

Ah random question do you feel the Pau Ferro to be dry at all? Thats the big complaint I have heard from people. The electronics are so on though, plus I actually make use of the rhythm circuit on a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar, haha.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am

About 2,000$ I was about a year late saving to picking up an AVRI JM, or Jaguar. Sorry for the late reply, yeah its a weird position, I liked the St V for the ergonomics and design but still would much prefer finding a Jaguar, or Jazzmaster that resonates with me. I like her music but yeah the guitar is seemingly overpriced. Still going back and forth about maybe giving the 60th Anni JM a shot, I wish the American Originals were worth the price gap but I can't see too much improved let alone some odd choices in colors.

Ah random question do you feel the Pau Ferro to be dry at all? Thats the big complaint I have heard from people. The electronics are so on though, plus I actually make use of the rhythm circuit on a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar, haha.
I dont feel like it's dry! but I dont know if I've ever noticed that with a guitar.

I have an update. I'm playing in a cover band this halloween, and we have to play heavy heavy fuzz. I was using my strat, but tonight I busted out the JMarr Jag just to hear it in the mix. Shit was perfect. That was my first time busting the Jmarr out live with real loud amps. It was fucking sick. I love that guitar and resonate with it so much. I feel like you won't be disappointed buying one with your price range. I also have to add prior before this practice I spent time and adjusted the pickups properly to where they sounded good with fuzz and also clean, and it fixed all my problems with it. They come in so many colors Im sure you could find one that fits your liking. Only thing I would suggest is if you have the ability to play/try out multiple ones in person I would. Every Jmarr I've played plays and feels very different to me. Even when I bought mine it felt way lighter and better than all the Jmarr's also the OG 60's jag (or whatever its called) that fender puts out. There was even an old man there trying out Jags, and he came up while i was holding mine and asked if I was going to buy it. I said yes, and he asked if he could just try it out before I bought it. I said sure, and even he was like "damn this plays way better than all the other ones, why?" and I was like "I'm not sure, that's why I'm snagging it!"

just some advice for my fellow jag lover.

BobDarren1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BobDarren1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:12 am

also let it be known about the JMarr, I am also using a compressor (old, I think, 80's dynacomp) pedal, which I've read a lot of people saying the comp pedal works wonders for them with the Jmarr, and it's true. Add that in the mix with the fuzz, and you got sustain for days.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:55 am

BobDarren1 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am

I dont feel like it's dry! but I dont know if I've ever noticed that with a guitar.

I have an update. I'm playing in a cover band this halloween, and we have to play heavy heavy fuzz. I was using my strat, but tonight I busted out the JMarr Jag just to hear it in the mix. Shit was perfect. That was my first time busting the Jmarr out live with real loud amps. It was fucking sick. I love that guitar and resonate with it so much. I feel like you won't be disappointed buying one with your price range. I also have to add prior before this practice I spent time and adjusted the pickups properly to where they sounded good with fuzz and also clean, and it fixed all my problems with it. They come in so many colors Im sure you could find one that fits your liking. Only thing I would suggest is if you have the ability to play/try out multiple ones in person I would. Every Jmarr I've played plays and feels very different to me. Even when I bought mine it felt way lighter and better than all the Jmarr's also the OG 60's jag (or whatever its called) that fender puts out. There was even an old man there trying out Jags, and he came up while i was holding mine and asked if I was going to buy it. I said yes, and he asked if he could just try it out before I bought it. I said sure, and even he was like "damn this plays way better than all the other ones, why?" and I was like "I'm not sure, that's why I'm snagging it!"

just some advice for my fellow jag lover.
Ah this is very good to hear, as I wrote up much of my basic rig and its screaming for a Jaguar, runner up was the TVL Jazzmaster, that being said the Johnny Marr does tick all the boxes, and they are incredible in terms of design. I actually ditched my old Jag to upgrade to that, something I have to remind myself, haha.

On the note of the fuzz, really great to hear. I think the Johnny Marr would be my best bet especially considering the price point for the craftsmanship.
Thanks again for getting back to me, its funny because I spent the night arranging fuzz tones anyway. Your the man, thank you really I know I will be happier with a Johnny Marr or even TVL, 85% on Marr, been flipping between some White & LPB models. I have been able to try them in person but I think I'll end up ordering online just because my local store is really terrible they had one and it was already quite beat up.

Curious which amp and fuzz are you running?